z

Young Writers Society

Are shows like X Factor killing music?

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:07 pm
deleted6 says...

At the time of writing there sits - at number one in the charts and at number one in our hearts - Leona Lewis, winner of last year's X Factor and set to be a very big international star over the coming year. And while there's normally no shortage of detractors decrying those whose fleeting fame was decided by phone ballot, no one seems to mind Leona.

Despite coming from the critically frowned upon reality TV show format, people who'd cross the road to spit in Journey South's chiselled faces are wishing her well. Because, to quote the received wisdom, "she's got real talent."

Even over at the Spice Girls fan forum, they're happy to concede that she deserves to be higher in the charts than their returning heroines, again because "she's got talent." The public have decided and they have decided this is her moment.
Louis Walsh - © Doug Peters/EMPICS Entertainment/PA Photos
And it's shows like X Factor, its predecessor Pop Idol and the not-on-anymore Fame Academy that have defined this very notion of talent so that almost all music we listen to, subconsciously or not, now passes through our own internal judging panel. There's a little Louis Walsh in all of us.

This is a terrible state of affairs since it is essentially leading to the death of pop in all but name. Where once the class loner/show off/freak could take their aspirations and turn them into big shiny musical dreams, uninhibited by classical concepts of ability and therefore free to dazzle, challenge and shock.

I find this maddening, but I have to agree, for full article click here.
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:20 pm
Sky says...

It only ruins what you want it to ruin.

Sure, stuff you hear on the radio is total crap, save a few stations you may like, but it's pretty much following the "popular" music.

I prefer to listen to music I like, and only I like. I don't listen to say, anything my sister will play mostly because its people who've won reality TV shows and the like. Bands that all sound the same (The Great EMO/PUNK paradox!) country or rap.

Articles and stuff like X Factor probably do ruin music, but only for making crap popular while the true gems must be filtered out with your own good judgment.

That there's some good in this world, Mr Frodo - and it's worth fighting for.
— Samwise Gamgee