z

Young Writers Society

Beowulf - The Movie

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:50 pm
Via says...

I saw this on Monday, mostly because I needed an extra credit assignment for my British Literature class.

I also saw it in 3D, which costs an additional $2...which made the ticket $9.
.....oh the things I could have done with that 9 dollars, like....set it on fire? Yea, that would have been a better way to spend it.

This was HORRIBLE! It was so unrealistic, the main woman (yea, woman, because throughout the entire poem there are so many women mentioned) looked like she was on drugs, I was laughing at it most of the time!

And it's not even CLOSE to what happened in the poem. So, if you are planning on seeing this movie in lieu of reading the epic poem, sorry yo--you're going to have to read it.

Did anyone else see it?
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:28 pm
Leja says...

Oh boy, I heard about this. We were trying to talk our teacher into a field trip until someone said they'd seen it and it was horrid. Something about Angelina Jolie seducing Beowulf as Grendel's mother... never mind the fact that in the poem, she can't even speak to Grendel, and is portrayed as like, the most disgusting of the disgusting.

the main woman (yea, woman, because throughout the entire poem there are so many women mentioned) looked like she was on drugs, I was laughing at it most of the time!

Haha, did you see the 1999 version they tried to make? They put in this random lady because again, they apparently thought Beowulf needed a love interest, or something.

*shakes head*

87 Reviews

Reviews: 87
Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:29 pm
Perra says...

I saw the movie a few weeks ago with some friends. If we my friends weren't going to see it, I wouldn't have gone. I could tell from the previews alone that it would be terrible.

The animation! Ugh!! I don't like it when people try to make human animations as life-like as possible. At least, not when that animation is what we're going to be seeing for the whole movie. It hurts. It took about half of the movie for me to get used to it and stop thinking that it would have been better if it was live-action, which I think it would have. And they got the horses' gaits wrong; they didn't match up with the ground just right.

I've never read the poem, but the story still felt a bit...off. The ending was horrible and the whole bit with the dragon was missing something. I think it might have needed more development, but I'm not sure.

I think out of all seven of us, my friend's mom was the only one pleased with it. And I'm pretty sure she had read the poem.

Oh, let's not forget about Beowulf's fight with Grendel and all the conveniently placed props and camera angles! XD If they (the animators or whatever) were going to go through all that, they should have just put a loin cloth on the guy.
YWS gives me carpal tunnel.

Need a Critique?

Evil lurks everywhere, often in plain sight...Can you lurk in plain sight? Or is that just walking?

647 Reviews

Reviews: 647
Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:28 pm
Alteran says...

I was so angry when I heard this movie was coming out. Beowulf is like the first written epic in history and they've butchered it with warpped 21st century thoughts. It is an absolute disgrace and those people should be ashamed for doing that to a great poem. Beowulf is supposed to be the embodiment of good. He cannot be seduced!
"Maybe Senpai ate Yuka-tan's last bon-bon?"
----Stupei, Ace Defective

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:45 pm
Lancrist says...

What? You're disappointed?

Come on, it's Hollywood. What did you expect?

I've never read Beowulf, and got what I was expecting to see. I was therefore entertained and have seen far worse movies.

I only have qualms with Beowulf's tendency to get naked and shout his own name.

@ Perra

The bit where they kept hiding Beowulf's genitals behind conveniant objects reminded me of Austin Powers.

Come on guys, lighten up.

P.S. BEOWULF!

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:58 pm
Meshugenah says...

HA! It made me laugh. Usually at it, but hey. At least I was entertained.

But... yeah. It was frighteningly not even close to the poem, but I didn't go in expecting it to be good. So I was disappointed.
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:53 am
Firestarter says...

I haven't seen it yet, but Neil Gaiman did co-write the script, so I have at least mild hopes for a decent movie.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

I wondered why we put villains in our stories when we have plenty of them in real life; then I realized that maybe we wanted stories where the good guy wins.
— nogutsnoglory