z

Young Writers Society

New edition

362 Reviews

Reviews: 362
Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:31 am
Fishr says...

I've been wanting one for a looong time but never thought I'd see or spill the dough to own one since the 18th C. swords (some with scabbards) I've seen up for sale anywhere near 2000-5000 US dollars.

Well... That's what the savings account is for! :D

The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:59 am
Snoink says...

XD

Nice lion head!

What's the history behind it?
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:11 am
Minniax says...

Wow! I LOVE it!
I'm in love with the medieval times and that reminds me of it.
How did you find it?
:) Again Nice!
Currently reading: The Dead Zone by Stephen King

362 Reviews

Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:22 am
Fishr says...

I wish now I had a tape measure next to it but it is a short sword. For the time being, the "history behind it" is speculation until I bug - probe - a few people with questions. :D It's nice to have friends to annoy.

First apeculation is, because of the short blade, it was used for infantrymen, fighting in close combat. I've ruled out Artillery, and I think I'm ruling out the Cavlery. When on a horse, a longer sword might prove to be more benificial.

The other feature is that there are no markings on the blade, hilt or pommel anywhere. Of course, they could have long rubbed away. But if by some chance, in the sword's prime, if it was still unmarked then, it might have been a milita sword now.

As for the brass lion head, I've seen it on the Horseman's sabers before. Linky: http://www.nps.gov/history/museum/exhib ... fo498.html

I haven't concluded if the pattern of my sword is indeed a Horseman's Saber yet but the lion head seems to have been a popular them on earlier swords circa 1773. Civil War era swords may show modified or more dignified examples of the lion head of the 18hth Century but I'm not positive on it.

The "black" part on the grip is bone. I don't think bakelite exist in the mid 1700's but... I've been wrong before.

Anyway, this sword is very light, and well balenced in the palm which made me think if it was used for the Light Infantry. ;) Skirmishing was and still is a popular tatical militery method.

Uh... Did that kinda, sorta, answer your question?
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

362 Reviews

Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:24 am
Fishr says...

Glad you like it, and I'm sorry. I was answering Snoink.

I found it by a stroke of luck. LOL! I found it in an antique shop.

362 Reviews

Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:12 am
Fishr says...

This is a recent message from a person on a knife identification forum about this sword:

It looks like a British lion pommel to me but could as easily have been cutlered in Germany or America. The slotted hilts tend to run from about the 1750s in England and Europe, right up through the first decade of the 19th century in America. Even the British 1803 officer's sword is still really an extension of the form. George Neumann lists some German lion pommel hangers and hunting swords right back to the 1720s but this one is third quarter of the 18th century and my hunch is it was made in England. what becomes the british 1803 has a more refined lion's head and other details.A s I say, it could easily be of German origin or even higher quality American (if so, most likely post dating the revolution)

if not wood, the grip is likely horn. Plastics really weren't much in development before the 1850s. Celluloid is 1869 (iirc) and bakelite 20th century.

These swords fetch pretty good money and that looks like a nice example.

We have a pretty good thread going on about slotted hilts over at www.swordforum.com in the Antique & Military forum.
http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?t=82422

Hope it's as imformative to you as it was to me. :D

shady and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws
— Tuckster