Young Writers Society

Hypothetically speaking, of course!

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:08 am
Snoink says...

So! Truth or dare!

Hypothetically, let's say you click on a story on YWS and lo! It has no grammatical or spelling errors. This is all very hypothetical, by the way. :P

What would you critique instead? Or would you critique at all?
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

647 Reviews

Reviews: 647
Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:10 am
Alteran says...

I Would, there is more to a story than grammar. Perfect grammar doesn't mean perfect story.
"Maybe Senpai ate Yuka-tan's last bon-bon?"
----Stupei, Ace Defective

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:09 pm
Reakeda says...

Yeah.. I agree with Adam. There is always something to critique, no matter how perfect the grammar and spelling.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:58 pm
Rydia says...

There's dialogue, characterization, description, plot and so much more. Grammar is just a minor part of any story.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:03 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Depends on the story and whether or not you guys have already gotten to it. ;) After someone's received 5+ reviews I tend to leave it alone.
ohmeohmy

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:28 pm
Kylan says...

I rarely critique for grammar. The most important parts of a story are the characters, the dialogue, the plot, and the style. Grammar, for me, is something you take care of in your final revisions. Grammar is the technical stuff, the how. The art - and sometimes the part of a story that suffers most - is the what, the where, and the who.

-Kylan
"I am beginning to despair
and can see only two choices:
either go crazy or turn holy."

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:14 pm
logosgal says...

I tend to be big on grammar (and punctuation) when I critique a story, too. But as everyone else said, there is more to a story than the grammar. So, if a story has absolutely perfect grammar, and there's not even anything that you might quibble with stylistically, then I would just take it as a bigger challenge to help the person work on their other stuff. And be sure to congratulate the person on their amazing grammar!
Home is where the books are.

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:44 pm
Leja says...

I would say phew! Someone finally proofread! Now there's something to critique! and proceed to critique it.

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:48 pm
Via says...

I'd have to agree, it doesn't matter how perfect the grammar and spelling is, it doesn't make a great story. There is always something to critique--correct grammar just makes it seem more professional.
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:51 pm
Alainna says...

I would ask politely the writer (if it was awful) to try to improve their grammer and that I'd critique after they fixed it up.

If the grammer is just bad then I'd offer a normal in-depth crit.

xx
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:19 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Well, I don't like critiquing grammar and spelling anyway, so I'd probably tell them to use a spell-check and tidy it up, then go on to the main depth of the piece. If it was atrocious, though, I'd tell them to sort it, and then come back later.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:16 pm
Cade says...

Nah, if a story has perfect grammar that means the story itself is perfect. Why on earth would I critique it? It's not like writing has more to it than grammar. Plot? Description? Psh. Irrelevant, so long as all the commas are in order. Really, Snoink. Really.

:D
Colly
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:32 pm
Icaruss says...

I rarely critique grammar or spelling. I comment about how the story works, if the dialogue works, if it flows well, if it's enjoyable, if it's authentic, you know, if it's well-written. Well-written as if he uses words that match each other, that make the text just rush by, rather than making it a chore to read through.
there are many problems in our times
but none of them are mine

You wanna be a writer? You don't know how or when? Find a quiet place, use a humble pen.
— Paul Simon