z

Young Writers Society

August Rush

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:12 am
Via says...

I saw this movie this afternoon fully expecting it to be a bust but I went with a friend anyway.

This movie was AWESOME! It was so good...overly good. I recommend it, most definitely. Although, I do admit that the whole thing was highly circumstantial...but the whole movie is about a kid finding his parents by playing music so it kind of comes with the territory.

But really, see it!
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:17 am
Emerson says...

I just started seeing commercials for it. What exactly is it about...? It looks fascinating.
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

694 Reviews

Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:27 am
Via says...

It's about an eleven year old boy who is in a 'home for boys' his entire life but he thinks if he plays music then his parents will hear him and come find him (how very Annie like). There are quite a few twists, but really it's just a very good movie.

It's got a bunch of names in it: Robin Williams, Terrance Howard, Keri Russell, Jonathan Rhys...something or other (doesn't matter, he's beautiful).

SEE IT! It's awesome!

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:42 am
motherflippinflapjacks says...

I saw this tonight with my family. It was AMAZING. I find comfort in music, so I really related to the movie. It was well acted and well written. I second the recommendation.
"I wonder if Ryan realizes that he's really twelve and a passenger on the Titanic." ~ A loving friend

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:50 am
Cade says...

It has Freddie Highmore in it! I remember him from Finding Neverland, which he was effing adorable in. He plays the kid. He's actually like fifteen even though he looks about ten.

I heard it wasn't so good. It looked a little corny. No, scratch that, really corny. But I might go see it tomorrow with a friend. :wink:
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

381 Reviews

Reviews: 381
Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:15 pm
Fand says...

This movie was amazing! I'm going to order the soundtrack when I'm not digging into my pockets for change. It's amazing how a movie that I might otherwise scoff at for being so unbelievable actually turned out to be one of my favorite movies of all time. Who else got the warm and fuzzies at the delighted look on Freddie Highmore's face when he started playing the guitar?
Bitter Charlie :: Shady Grove, CA :: FreeRice (162,000/1,000,000)

694 Reviews

Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:23 pm
Via says...

OH my gosh I know Fand! I bought the soundtrack from iTunes when I got home that night. If you don't tell, I'll steal it and send it to you! ;)

It really did look corny, I'll agree. And in all ways it really was...but it was so GOOD that just didn't matter!

758 Reviews

Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:52 am
Cade says...

I saw it...it was decent. SO CHEESY but cute. Freddie Highmore is just amazing. But Robin Williams as the Wizard was great, he was my favorite.
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

196 Reviews

Reviews: 196
Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:57 am
Shriek says...

I was sourly disappointed by it. I found it cheesy, and very cliche. Also, being a novice musician, the fact that I could tell that most of the actors could not play their instruments was bothersome. I'm sorry, you can't play an instrument the way Freddie Highmore did and have it come out sounding the way it did. I love the kid -- honest to goodness, I fell in love with him during Finding Neverland. He will grow up into a talented, handsome man with money -- but I'm sorry to say that this film was not his best. Robin Williams was downright scary, though.
i thought you were shallow, but then i fell in deep.

758 Reviews

Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:06 am
Cade says...

Ooh, I forgot to add that I noticed mistakes. I mean, I noticed movie mistakes.

Most notably the scene which is supposed to be set in 1995 but has the wrong New York license plates on the car Lyla drives away in. I live in New York. The current plates only came around in 2000 or so...but they have the current plates in this 1995 scene and I think everyone in the theatre knew it, too...

No, it wasn't Freddie Highmore's best, but he was still really cute in it. He's not very good at hiding his accent, that was a problem. According to IMDB, he is actually learning to play the guitar, which is awesome. He will grow up to be handsome and talented, Shriek, I agee!

But Robin Williams was amazing. I loved seeing him act mean and scary.

104 Reviews

Reviews: 104
Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:43 am
kokobeans says...

If you're the kind of person that crinches at cheesy plots and iffy mistakes, avoid this movie. Apart from that I thought it was brilliant, definately adorable and highly inspiring.

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:56 am
Cblotnicky says...

The movie August Rush isn't really meant for people who take everything 100% seriously. You need to suspend your disbelief while you're watching it, and if you can do that, you come out of the theatre feeling uplifted.

I absolutely loved this movie. The music was beautiful (I'm a music nut, band, orchestra, and all), and the acting was great. I thought Jonathan Rhys Meyers and Keri Russel were excellent together and they were both really lovable characters. Freddie Highmore being the cute little innocent seeming kid he is seems like he'd be the spawn of these two, lol. Robin Williams rocked- scary, intense, and you still felt kinda bad for him.

This movie is all about belief in the power of music- and if you're a musician, you can really buy into it. If you aren't, then you can enjoy the fairytale that with some perseverance everything will turn out alright.

I came out of this movie ready to see it again. It just makes you feel good- so hopefully people wont go into it with the whole 'this had better be realistic!' attitude, and see it for the simplistic beauty it has. It's a great story.

Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or lose.
— Lyndon B. Johnson