z

Young Writers Society

Acceptance Into the Young Writers Journal

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:20 am
Kylan says...

So... Who's in? What's your story/poem about? Is this the first time publishing? Are you going to buy extra copies of the journal for friends and family, etc., etc.?

(Also, Nate mentioned a fee of 1,000 dollars coming out of his own pocket to get this thing done. That's a hefty sum. He also mentioned that four or five hundred dollars would be going towards professional review, which, to my understanding, would boost the circulation quite a bit. He said that that would be the first thing to go if he was too strapped for cash.

So I think we should help a little. I know that Nate has a strict no-donations policy, but the journal needs a catalyst, a gust of wind, to get it into the air, I think. Professional review would get us out there. Way out there. Not just into the hands of friends and family. Nate, I say you allow us to donate a little something this time around for professional review and anything else that you may need for this. After this "pilot issue" we're relatively home free, depending on well it fares this time around.)

Anyway, I got a longish short story about a fuel cell company which decides to eradicate all petroleum based competition by destroying a Middle Eastern oil monopoly with the help of an assassin. Neato. And this is my second time publishing.

-Kylan
"I am beginning to despair
and can see only two choices:
either go crazy or turn holy."

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

602 Reviews

Reviews: 602
Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:26 am
Wolf says...

(I agree--I'd so donate if my parents would let me.)

I've never been published before, but I am working on a piece for the Children's writing magazine 'Stone Soup' and I am also working on some creative writing contest entries.
I hope to publish my first novel before I turn 15 though :)
everything i loved
became everything i lost.

Would you like a review?
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic73903.html

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:56 am
LowKey says...

I'm in! I'd deffinetly donate. My parents' attitude is it's my money, I can do what I want with it, within reason. As in, no half-shirts or miniskirts or stuff like that.

I think Nate has an issue with taxes or some other legal thing like that if he were to accept donations, so maybe we could just give him a lump sum through paypal?

Yeah, I plan on buying a copy of the journal. If Nate says yes on the do- *ahem* Lump sums, then I'm in for that, too.

:-)
Necropolis SB / Necropolis DT

Once was Dreamer, is now LowKey_Lyesmith.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:56 am
Emerson says...

Kylan, Your oil story got in??? I'm incredebly happy about that! I really loved that story... :)

A short story of mine, one of my best as far as I'm concerned, got in. It's about a crew of people going to find some mysterious thing on a ship... yeah. It's cool. ^_^

Yes...Trust me, Nate won't let us donate. XD He hates donations. You would really have to woo him.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

647 Reviews

Reviews: 647
Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:40 am
Alteran says...

I've already managed to get one local paper to do a review. Plus my own at the chool. I've got a few author friends(published and all that jazz) who might be able to pull a few strings for me at another one.

And flyers. I'm so gonna make some flyers for this. That way any of us can print some out and post them up in places. That is of course, If Nate doesn't mind. It is his journal after all.
"Maybe Senpai ate Yuka-tan's last bon-bon?"
----Stupei, Ace Defective

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:11 am
Nate says...

Thanks Kylan, but as Suzanne said and you also stated, I don't take donations. I have a few problems with them, and I actually could cite a dozen reasons why I don't like them, but thanks though! If you really want to help, get your friends & family to buy copies of the Journal. Boosting the sales numbers will help a lot.

Adam ->> Flyers sound great!

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:22 am
chocoholic says...

I didn't submit anything for reasons I've forgotten (something about money or living in Australia, I don't know) but I want to know where I'll be able to get it. Is it going to be released in Aus, because I really want to read it!
*Don't expect to see me around much in the next couple of weeks. School has started again, and it'll be a couple of weeks before I've settled in. If you've asked me for a critique, you will get it, but not for a little while. Sorry*

558 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 558
Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:02 pm
Matt Bellamy says...

I'm in :) One of my poems, and this will be the sixth time I've had a poem published, I think. Not entirely sure :-/
Looking forward to the Journal coming out, it's exciting :)
Matt.

Got Tumblr? Me too! http://www.writersam.co.uk

Peeking Cat Poetry Magazine is accepting submissions! http://peekingcatpoetrymagazine.blogspot.co.uk

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:04 pm
Teague says...

I'm in! It's just a short story I wrote for English class. This is my first time being published, not counting all my newspaper articles. :D

My family's going to want copies. Which is about 50 or so sales easy. xD [/huge family]

This is so exciting. :D
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

461 Reviews

Reviews: 461
Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:10 pm
GingerLizzy says...

Gah, I can't check and see if I'm in until I find some means of getting on my E-mail account. At school, Hotmail is banned from the system and I have no Internet at home!

Anyone know if I got in?

GingerHope
:?
Worship the ginger monkey :) aaand join my new group!

Oh, and enter my new contest!

2058 Reviews

Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:23 pm
Emerson says...

Oh, Adam, amazing idea on the fliers. I'm not entirely sure my family will want to buy any, but I can nudge random people and try to get them to buy one, hah. I feel kind of weird going, "Hey! You should buy this. I was published in it!" hahah. But fliers are a really good idea.

Yes ^_^ I knew you wouldn't take donations. But what you can do, is buy things from the shop! That's like a donation and you get something awesome in return. Eh? Eh? Do it. :D
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:29 pm
Via says...

We could just stand infront of them at the bookstore and shove one into passing strangers hands and say "Buy this or die. I'm cool enough to be published in it."

That would get the job done. And possibly a night in jail for threatening death and/or inducing panic...but that's a small price to pay.
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

2058 Reviews

Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:52 pm
Emerson says...

Yes, especially if you can back up your threat. :)

I also have another money making idea I've been needing to PM Nate about... doing it before the journal gets set up (and Christmas, for that matter) might be a good idea..

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:58 pm
Rydia says...

I don't know if I got in or not yet but I'm certainly buying a copy and I'm also getting one of the YWS t-shirts for Christmas =)
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:36 pm
Kylan says...

A new question: has anyone been rejected from the Journal?

-Kylan
"I am beginning to despair
and can see only two choices:
either go crazy or turn holy."

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.
— Henry David Thoreau, "Walden"