z

Young Writers Society

Is writing in your future?

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:10 am
Cade says...

All of us on here have an interest in writing, and many are pretty serious about it. But are you considering going into, or are already pursuing, a career that involves writing?

I wouldn't want to make writing a full-time career because it's practically impossible to make a living. Most writers teach.

I'd actually love to teach creative writing at the high school level, but that usually involves teaching regular English as well, and I don't want to do that.

Right now I'm thinking about going into publishing. I'd love to work as an editor for a magazine, newspaper, or publishing company. In college I'd probably major in English or journalism, because that's what most editors do.

I never want to give up writing, whether I get published or not. It's always been a part of my life and I can't imagine that I'd ever stop writing, no matter what career I choose to pursue. :D

I know we have some English majors on here. Is anyone else thinking about pursuing a career in writing, English, publishing, or journalism?
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:19 am
Emerson says...

So far, my goal is to major in Russian Studies/Russian Literature. I want to be a college professor, but we'll see how that idea pans out when I am faced with graduate school. hah. If I end up getting into one particular school (University of Missouri at Columbia) I am going to minor in journalism, impart because it will be something good for me to know and possibly do something with, but also because that school has the best school of journalism in the world. (Or so they propagate.)

I really want writing to be something I do, but something I do on the side lines. I could never spend my life writing, locked in a room. I would much rather enjoy speaking a foreign language with people, while discussing literature, or something... I don't know, I think I would love to do that a lot more, even though I love writing. Teaching people has always been an interest of mine.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:25 am
lyrical_sunshine says...

A major in English w/ an emphasis in creative writing and a minor in journalism. :D I want to be an author, but I also plan on teaching. Probably at a middle school level, because I love kids that age. Don't ask me why - I'm weird.
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:51 am
Jiggity says...

I'm currently studying at University of Technology, Sydney, doing a Bachelor of Arts In Writing and Cultural Studies - so yes, I absolutely intend on pursuing writing as a career, not limiting myself to novel writing, but including short stories, plays, and mainly TV/Movie scripts. I'm under no illusion as to the difficulty of this task and hopefully, can get a degree and job in Editing and Publishing as a way to suplement my writing, while staying in the same field.

More then likely, I'll end up in America or England, Australia being notorious for under-paying its writers and creative people.
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

758 Reviews

Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:52 am
Cade says...

lyrical_sunshine wrote:A major in English w/ an emphasis in creative writing and a minor in journalism.

Haha, yeah, ideally I'd like to double major in English and journalism with a minor in creative writing, but it'll be difficult to find a school I like that will let me do that.
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:55 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

...Do lab reports count?

I plan to be a chemical engineer with an emphasis on bio-y stuff. XD

Though I will publish my novels! :D
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

758 Reviews

Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:59 am
Cade says...

Snoink wrote:...Do lab reports count?

I plan to be a chemical engineer with an emphasis on bio-y stuff. XD

Though I will publish my novels! :D

I think it's cool that you're just so multi-talented. I really admire people who are amazing writers but still want to be engineers or doctors and are really good at math and science as well as English. One of my best friends is an amazing writer and editor but she wants to go into neurology. She could totally do anything with her life and succeed at it.

And you will publish your novels or we will eat you.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:03 am
Emerson says...

My father tells me to keep an eye out for other things... as much as I love chemistry I think I would die in the lab by doing something wrong.

And jig, you should so come to America... although currently, our writers are on strike. XD
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:13 am
Jiggity says...

XD, I know. Full support on Facebook but! Ah yes, I'll be trying to come next year, but if I dont make it so soon, then definetly some time later. One way or another, I will make it there :P
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:35 am
lyrical_sunshine says...

I don't know, i think anywhere you go writers are underpaid lol. unless you're J. K. Rowling or Stephen King.

I've always wanted to go to Australia. Great surfing, eh?
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:59 am
Sam says...

I had always wanted to teach history (both world and US), and I have this thing about religious studies...I'm kind of all over the place. XD But I have this recurring fantasy of sitting out somewhere in an office with storyboards and the NaNoWriMo wordcount guidlines and clippings of character pictures up on the wall.

And of course, books leaking from floor to ceiling and a shrine to my ever faithful current laptop, which has soldiered through three Novembers, about twenty to thirty short stories, and hundreds of critiques.

*wistful sigh* Being a starving artist wouldn't be so bad, I don't think- not if you love what you're doing.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:02 am
Nate says...

Don't forget that writing is an essential element to almost any career! I'm going into Law, and knowing how to write creatively is a must.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:14 am
Snoink says...

Nate wrote:Don't forget that writing is an essential element to almost any career! I'm going into Law, and knowing how to write creatively is a must.

Dude, totally. I love writing lab reports, for that reason, because it requires so much creativity! Why are you combining this with that, and [i]what do you hope to achieve[i]? And then you get to analyze it and put it in terms that everybody understands... It's all very inspiring!
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:39 am
View Likes
Kylan says...

For a long time, my plan was to go to law school, become a personal injury lawyer, become successful, write in my spare time, tap into that well of literary achievment, and publish a novel. Maybe the novel would even be well recieved and I would retire early from practicing law and freelance write for the rest of my life. Happily ever after.

However, I'm kind of thinking of leaving law out of the equation now. I know it's a gamble, but I would love to freelance write for a living. Then again, I would also like to raise a family and I'd need some sort of steady income in case things didn't work out.

Writing will always be apart of me - I'd even like it to be a major career option - but I think going to law school with an undergraduate in english would be a smart move.

I don't know yet.

-Kylan
"I am beginning to despair
and can see only two choices:
either go crazy or turn holy."

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701
Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:57 am
bubblewrapped says...

I'm currently studying for a BA in Religious Studies/Philosophy and I'm planning on becoming a professor in one or the other some day. So I'm definitely going to be writing a lot of essays and so on XD But I'm hoping to write fiction and poetry in my spare time too, whether or not it ever gets published. Because it's fun :)
Got a poem or short story you want me to critique?

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it. (C D Morley)

Thou call'dst me a dog before thou hadst cause. But, since I am a dog, beware my fangs.
— Shylock, The Merchant of Venice