z

Young Writers Society

"'My Space' hoax ends with suicide of Dardenne Prairie

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:50 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

http://suburbanjournals.stltoday.com/ar ... _1.ii1.txt

I can't summarize it. I can only say that this article has actually made me feel sick.
ohmeohmy

602 Reviews

Reviews: 602
Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:19 pm
Wolf says...

omg.
I read that...it's horrible. Why would people do that?
everything i loved
became everything i lost.

Would you like a review?
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic73903.html

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:24 pm
TheBlueStreak says...

I read to the part about "no criminal charges" and could't finish. This is the most disgusting thing I have encountered, period. What could possess someone to do something like that? Let us pray for both families--I'm not sure who needs it worse.

Why?

If there were a smiley throwing up, that's what I'd put here.
Blue
Better to fail than to have never tried
--Blue

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:32 pm
Via says...

That is so wrong, so wrong. Oh my goodness. :(
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

696 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 696
Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:36 pm
Audy says...

That is so AWFUL! How can these so-called "adults" do that to a poor little girl? What is the world coming to now a days?

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:39 pm
Emerson says...

This was on the local news, since I live in St. Louis... It's really tragic. I listened to the interviews of the parents and it's just... horrible. I wish that I could gain contact with them, give them my condolences, and help them out. They're hoping to write to congress to make a bill that would cause what happened to their daughter illegal. It's a sickening story, but it touches me because these people are in my area. What is most shocking is that no one can be brought to trial for it.

Also, something that might be of interest to those reading, as I am not sure whether it was in the article or not. The parents originally made the account, apparently, to find information on what their own daughter was doing, but...It's incredebly difficult to explain what happened. It's just wrong--that's about all you can say.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:43 pm
Leja says...

Like you can't summarize it, Sumi, I don't know if I can comment on it. All I can say is I can't believe that anything can be done, legal-wise, and that that adult feels no remorse

:(

376 Reviews

Reviews: 376
Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:07 pm
Trident says...

It's terribly sad, yes. But I guess I just don't understand that frame of mind. Were things that terrible for her?

I do believe that those responsible should be punished in some way.
Perception is everything.

915 Reviews

Reviews: 915
Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:16 pm
Incandescence says...

I would be worried if we lived in a country where legal action could be taken against the adults behind the MySpace account. They have just as much of a right to express their opinion as anyone else does, regardless of how that opinion impacts other people (can we say, "Thought Police"?)--they can't be held accountable for what this little girl did to herself, and while what they did is awful, they still have a right to do it.
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders." -Hal Abelson

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:26 pm
Prokaryote says...

Sew wrote:They're hoping to write to congress to make a bill that would cause what happened to their daughter illegal.

Just what we need, more laws.

Prokaryote
Last edited by Prokaryote on Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:44 pm
TheBlueStreak says...

No law can replace responsibility, but in the face of irresponsibility at least laws can provide for accountablilty.

Blue
Better to fail than to have never tried
--Blue

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:50 pm
Emerson says...

Well... if it was your daughter who had killed herself in such a manner, you would want a law to be out there to punish those who caused it. That's how I see it.

Though, I don't man to make a debate of this.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:51 pm
chocoholic says...

That's sick. Just so, so sick. That poor girl, I sort of know how it feels. But I had stuff said to my face. It must have been worse for her, the 'guy' had been so nice to her.
*Don't expect to see me around much in the next couple of weeks. School has started again, and it'll be a couple of weeks before I've settled in. If you've asked me for a critique, you will get it, but not for a little while. Sorry*

915 Reviews

Reviews: 915
Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:56 pm
Incandescence says...

Suzanne--

What we "want" to alleviate our guilt and ill-feelings is not a steady place to be making laws from.

Best,
Brad
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders." -Hal Abelson

260 Reviews

Reviews: 260
Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:07 pm
zankoku_na_tenshi says...

That's horrid. Absolutely horrid. I couldn't even finish reading it. It's just terrible to think that there's someone out there who would say that kind of thing to a person, just for the sake of their own amusement or revenge or whatever the deal was. It's just... so sad.

For some reason, I got an extra shock from hearing the city this took place in: Less than five years ago, I used to live in O'Fallon. It's somehow extra horrible to think that this happened in what I still think of as my own town. Just... ugh. Sad, sad story. My heart and prayers go out to her and her family.
"The world is not beautiful, therefore, it is." --Kino's Journey

Hey, how about a free review?

If all pulled in one direction, the world would keel over.
— Yiddish proverb