z

Young Writers Society

"'My Space' hoax ends with suicide of Dardenne Prairie

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:58 am
Cade says...

This is really awful, but I can see what Brad is saying. They do have a right to do that. These parents should be pushing for education and charater-building in kids rather than laws to protect them. If you can teach your kids to be careful around the internet and to throw off what other people say about them, things like this won't happen as much. The message that drove Megan to suicide was more than cruel, but I can't help but feel that if these parents had either 1) Encouraged her to think for herself and to not be so dependent on others' opinions or 2) Kept her off of Myspace knowing that her developmental and emotional issues (ADD, weight problems) would hurt her ability to disregard the cruel comments of others.

But this is something parents should consider in the future--educate your kids, teach them to think for themselves rather than making laws that destroy fundamental rights. I feel terribly for Megan's family and for the people of the town as a whole.
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:06 pm
TheBlueStreak says...

I am going to start a thread (In The News) to debate the question "Should offending parents in "'MySpace' Hoax..." be in legal trouble?"

All with opinions are welcome to join in. The thread is

http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic22314.html

Blue
Better to fail than to have never tried
--Blue

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:28 pm
alleycat13 says...

It makes me sick. I cannot even fathom what kind of terrible, sadist person could write such malicious messages to a teenage girl.

I don't think there should be a law against this type of thing, but I definitely think something should be done to those parents. I don't know what can be done, but what I've read shows those parents as not contrite. What they did is totally unacceptable. Unfortunately, there's nothing that can be done to make things right. You can't replace life.
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes : What mood is that?
Calvin : Last-minute panic.

Got YWS?

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:48 pm
xhalcyonx128 says...

:'( i realize that legally the parents cannot be punished, but it helps knowing that the guilt from what they did will haunt them. at least i think they have enough of a concience for this to affect them. the poor girl. those parents have some messed up morals. what is this world coming to? goodness...
Be obscure clearly - E. B. White

Got YWS?

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:29 pm
Sky says...

This is another reason why law can not do justice. Something as vile as this story should be wiped off the face of this planet. And

I believe in an Eye for an Eye. They should've had to give up THEIR daughter for pushing Tina's daughter over the edge. People like that do NOT deserve to be parents. Something tells me this isn't the last story we'll hear of situations such as this.

Something to go on the 'List of Justice' I keep. People getting off scott free for total (excuse the language) bullshit like that is just horrible. Can you imagine if that was your sister? Your brother? The family down the street doing this to YOU?

There are reasons people lose faith in humanity, and this is most certainly one of them.

23 Reviews

Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:44 pm
TheBlueStreak says...

I believe you have accurate observations, Sky. Laws complicate things, but in the face of irresponsibility, at least they provide for accountability.

Blue
--Blue

Random avatar

Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:16 pm
Sky says...

Yes, but without them, don't we already have accountability? Can't we hold someone responsible despite what laws say?

We can, but other laws tell us that we shouldn't for the consequences are worse than that of an actual crime.

It just sickens me, is all.

23 Reviews

Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:15 pm
TheBlueStreak says...

By what power could anyone hold anyone else accountable if it weren't for laws? We can't just go around beating (or worse) anyone who doesn't live up to our standards. That's where the law (will of the majority, in our case) provides equitable justice to wrongdoers.

Blue
--Blue

Random avatar

Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:02 am
Sky says...

Firstly, human judgment. You can and do know when somethings not fair, not right. It's not standards that people would be beating each other up for, it may be simple, if not frighteningly smalls things, it may even lead to endless cycles of attack and retaliate, but its something, isn't it?

I just don't feel people should get off because of technicalities. People can become virtually untouchable by laws, it's absurd, don't you think? If you can twist words and evidence enough, you can get away with anything, and if someone tries to really bring justice to the table, they get carted away in their stead.

Maybe its just a matter of morals, but someone getting off Scott free for driving someone over the edge, that's just not right.

We wandered the halls of an infinite magic nursing home, led by a hippo nurse with a torch. Really, just an ordinary night for the Kanes.
— Rick Riordan, The Throne of Fire