z

Young Writers Society

New Music

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:17 am
Leja says...

I'm wondering if someone can recommend me some music?

I like the way Regina Spektor sings, and I like the way the French singer Camille's lyrics are more... poetic than lyrical. Does anyone know of more songs/singers like these? Or something new, even? Basically, I've exhausted everything mainstream and am searching for something different [and I think my ears will bleed if they listen to another regurgitated chorus XD].

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:13 am
MadHatter says...

Sorry, all I listen to is classic rock and Alternative Rock. I'd search it on Google or something.
Voldemort: You kids! If I ever find out who's calling I will tell the wizard law and you will go to wizard jail and then I'll kill you!

Harry Potter Puppet Pals - Wizard Swears

816 Reviews

Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:28 am
Leja says...

I don't think this is quite the kind of thing you can search for on the Google.

Random avatar

Reviews: 335
Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:30 am
Fireweed says...

Ooh, I love Regina Spektor.

If you like French singers, Keren Ann is pretty good and sings in both French and English. I don't know exactly what genre she'd be... folk, I guess.
"I myself am composed entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions."- Augusten Burroughs

816 Reviews

Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:41 am
Leja says...

Thanks for the suggestion, Fireweed! I love her voice, and it's a lovely style :D

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:07 am
Cade says...

Some people don't like it much, but I enjoy listening to Pandora. You type in a song or artist you like and it plays music that's similar. It's a fun way to listen to music for free and I've found some obscure artists I like on there.
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

Reviews: 4
Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:23 am
Brit20002004 says...

Who are the best Pop artist of the 2000's?

I Think...

Justin Timberlake
Christina Aguilera
Britney Spears
Kelly Clarkson

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:37 pm
Dream Deep says...

I would try to find some Madeleine Peyroux or Feist. They're always fun. ^_^

Random avatar

Reviews: 5
Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:57 pm
davidg says...

If you want something a bit different you should listen to some freak folk.
Joanna Newsom is a good place to start.
"I realize that all I can place in the imperfect vessel of writing are imperfect memories and imperfect thoughts." -Haruki Murakami

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:57 am
traveller says...

Dream Deep wrote:I would try to find some Madeleine Peyroux or Feist. They're always fun. ^_^

Madeleine Peyroux is awesome!!!!!!!!!
check my music -------------->> www.myspace.com/parashardas

268 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 268
Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:29 am
Adnamarine says...

I don't know if she's really similar to Regina Spektor (who I adore, by the way), but Imogen Heap is amazing.
"Half the time the poem writes me." ~Meshugenah

Random avatar

Reviews: 335
Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:25 am
Fireweed says...

Kate Nash has a similar style to Regina Spektor. And an awesome accent. XD
"I myself am composed entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions."- Augusten Burroughs

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:28 pm
Periwinkle says...

I would suggest Ingrid Michaelson, Kate Nash, and Feist. Or go on lastfm.com and look up Regina Spektor and look at her related artists.

I like all of these. Regina is amazing! :D
Maybe you should kiss someone nice or lick a rock, or both - Regina Spektor

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:08 pm
View Likes
Krupp says...

Well...

as far as new music, I can suggest taht you look up Nine Inch Nails's newest album, Ghosts, on their website. It's an online album, just like Radiohead, except a lot better...

Besides that, look up:

King Crimson
John Zorn
Acid Mothers Temple
Collective Soul
The Nightwatchman
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:36 pm
IceCreamMan says...

I'm not sure what kinds of music you like, but I'll give it a shot. I am very big into music. These are just a few recommendations. If you like them, I have many others I could also recommend to you. None of these artists are easily categorized, but I'll do my best to explain them in terms that are understandable.

Elliott Smith -
Very accessible guitar/vocal music which skirts the edges of mainstream. His earlier work was pretty light, but as he got more famous and was picked up by a major label, he added more instrumentation including drums and some electric guitar. Recommended song: "Between the Bars" or "Independence Day"

Radiohead -
If you haven't listened to this band yet, you are missing out. Somewhat of an acquired taste though, because they defy mainstream musical ideas and composition. They are atmospheric in places, but unlike Sigur Ros this is more upbeat rock. The most accessible (i.e. good place to start) CD of theirs is "The Bends", followed by "OK Computer" or "In Rainbows". Recommended song: "High and Dry," "Karma Police," or "15 Step"

Sigur Ros -

An extremely unique, atmospheric band from Iceland. They don't sing in English (some of their lyrics are not even in a language at all, just made up sounds), but I think that makes it better. The vocals just blend in as another instrument. It's hard to describe them, but in general their songs start quiet and build to very wonderful climaxes. Recommended song: "Starálfur" or "Svefn-g-englar" (I can't decide)

Iron & Wine -
This is modern folk music that is mostly just a guitar and one man's wonderful voice (and harmonies that he also records). Very good lyrically and musically. Soft, light music for the most part, which makes it very relaxing and easy to have in the background. Recommended song: "Naked As We Came"

Sufjan Stevens-

Similar in some ways to Iron & Wine and Elliott Smith, except that Sufjan Stevens' music includes far more instrumentation, including some really neat stuff like oboe. Recommended song: "Flint (for the Unemployed and Underpaid)."

Chanticleer
If you like vocal music, this is for you. It is an all male a capella choir. I recommend the album "And On Earth, Peace: A Chanticleer Mass." Recommended song: "Agnus Dei."

Yes

The first progressive rock band that I got into. If you are wondering, progressive rock is a movement in rock music to incorporate components from other styles, especially classical and jazz. It is generally very intricate music. Nonetheless, Yes includes many very accessible songs, particularly because of the lovely singing. Recommended song: "Roundabout."

Aimee Mann
Probably the most mainstream artist on this list. I absolutely love the songs she did for the movie "Magnolia," so if I would say that the Magnolia soundtrack would be a good place to start. Recommended song: "One"

Please note that the recommended songs are picked not because they are my favorites but because I believe they are the easiest ones to enjoy when making a transition from mainstream music. It would help greatly if you could tell me more artists that you like or perhaps just a genre of music that you particularly like.

I hope this is helpful.
Clementine: This is it, Joel. It’s going to be gone soon.
Joel: I know.
Clementine: What do we do?
Joel: Enjoy it.”
-Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind-

A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest.
— Paul Simon