z

Young Writers Society

Writers Guild of America on strike

647 Reviews

Reviews: 647
Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:04 pm
Alteran says...

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet. But from the few I've talked to most dont seem to care.

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- The strike by Hollywood writers is on. Writers and studios broke off talks late Sunday after 11 hours of negotiations.

The talks between the Writers Guild of America and the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers were called by a federal mediator. The producers said a deal couldn't be reached.

The writers want more money from the sale of DVDs and a share of revenue generated by the sale of TV shows and films over the Internet. The studios say the demands are unreasonable and will hamper attempts to experiment with new media.

Picketing starts in the morning in New York and Los Angeles.

The walkout will affect late-night talk shows first, then daytime talk shows and soap operas. Studios have stockpiled movie scripts and prime-time TV has completed shows in hand to last until early next year.

Hollywood writers and studio representatives held last-ditch negotiations Sunday in an effort to prevent a strike, the writers union said.

A federal mediator called the meeting between the Writers Guild of America and the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television producers at an undisclosed location.

The studios say the demands are unreasonable and would hamper attempts to experiment with new media. Watch a report on the dispute ยป

The last time Hollywood writers went on strike was in 1988. The walkout lasted 22 weeks and cost the industry about $500 million.

For the full article go Here

This is very important to those who plan on going into screen writing. These folks are the backbone of everything on TV and already late night talk shows have gone into reruns. It wont be long before all your favorite shows do the same if this isn't resolved soon.

We should support our fellow writers. Especially those trying to make a living at it. Let's face it, most of us wont be able to live off of writing.
"Maybe Senpai ate Yuka-tan's last bon-bon?"
----Stupei, Ace Defective

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:18 pm
Leja says...

The last time Hollywood writers went on strike was in 1988. The walkout lasted 22 weeks and cost the industry about $500 million.

^ so you'd think that they might think to something differently this time, then. What I don't understand is why writers are needed for reality shows... doesn't that undermine the definition of reality?

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:41 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Amelia wrote:^ so you'd think that they might think to something differently this time, then. What I don't understand is why writers are needed for reality shows... doesn't that undermine the definition of reality?

Not if you go by the belief that it's ALL scripted. But, yeah, you would think they'd do it differently next time. The whole thing is, I think, caused by greed, mostly, it seems, on the studio's part. Glad it isn't happening over here, although I'm sure it'll affect us in some way.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:10 pm
Snoink says...

My dad suggested that I become a professional writer, because obviously they had a lot of openings for me. XD

Actually, I think they're slightly spoiled. How many people do you know who want to be professional, and would do anything (even low pay) for it, and they're complaining about this. Guhhh...

Of course, it would help if I knew more of the details, but still! :P
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

647 Reviews

Reviews: 647
Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:39 pm
Alteran says...

Yeah, they said a federally appointed person was the mediator. I was wondering how did that happen? This has obviously been an issue longer than we knew about it.

I heard Former president Clinton has offred to mediate the next negotations. Wonder which he wants to see new episodes of? :p(It's a joke)
"Maybe Senpai ate Yuka-tan's last bon-bon?"
----Stupei, Ace Defective

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:06 am
bookworm201 says...

I heard Arnold Schw- I won't butcher his name, but you know who I mean- the actor turn CA governor?-- was/was trying to get involved in the negotiations.

Writers definitely deserve more money because where would all these shows/movies be without the authors? Seriously... it seems like some star/lets couldn't even say their names without a script.

I will admit, however, being the TV-aholic that I am, reruns will not be fun.

Writers' and teachers' unions have it bad- everyone hates them when they go on strike, but they deserve much more than they get...

Except, of course, the horrible teachers and awful writers...
"reading one book is like eating one potato chip."
-diane duane in so you want to be a wizard
[url=secondday.proboards.com]best rpg ever[/url]

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:42 am
Elelel says...

I think it's funny. I live in Australia, so maybe that's because it doesn't affect me so much. But still. Everytime a little notice comes up on the TV saying that the following programme has been cancelled because of the writers strike, it makes me giggle.

Yeah, don't really have an opinion other than that. I don't know what they get, so I don't know how fair it is.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:17 am
gyrfalcon says...

It's hard for me to have a strong opinion here. I think that writers should be paid what they've earned, and I think the corp.s need to realize how much they depend on writers, but without knowing more details, I can't tell if this is a case of people demanding what is rightfully theirs, or nosing after someone else's windfall. Screen writers didn't invent the DVD, of course, but since that's going to become/has become a huge part of their bussiness, it seems only fair to give them a decent slice of it.
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:02 pm
alleycat13 says...

I just think it's dumb and caused by greed from both sides. It really annoys me when people who already have a lot of money demand/strike for/hold-out for more. Think of all the ways that money they get and don't need could be used. Or, how about the 500 million+ they're going to waste.

:x
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes : What mood is that?
Calvin : Last-minute panic.

Got YWS?

Reviews: 1
Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:03 pm
Chance says...

I'm quite passive about it at the moment, but I do think both sides are partly to blame. Some writers are severely underappriciated by the industry. But it's time that one of the sides backed down, it's getting silly.

Although once this gets around to affecting my Heroes, I might have to fly to america and band the writers and the companies heads together :p

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:26 pm
View Likes
Cpt. Smurf says...

Chance wrote:Although once this gets around to affecting my Heroes, I might have to fly to america and band the writers and the companies heads together :p

I'm preparing myself to do that if Ugly Betty gets interrupted - that is the ONE HOUR of clever wit that I look forward to on a Friday. Woe betide those who interrupt my TV schedule...

*looks darkly upon empty threats landing on deaf ears*
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:43 am
Teague says...

We have progress!

LOS ANGELES (Associated Press) -- Faced with the indefinite suspension of negotiations, the union representing striking Hollywood writers told its members Saturday it would try to deal directly with Hollywood studios and production companies, bypassing the umbrella organization that has been representing them.

The news was welcomed by the company that produces David Letterman's "Late Show," which said it hoped to broker a deal that would put the talk show host and his writers back to work.

Talks broke off Dec. 7 after the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers, which represents the studios, insisted it would not bargain further unless the Writers Guild of America dropped proposals that included the authority to unionize writers on reality shows and animation projects.

Both sides in the strike, which began Nov. 5, have said the central issue is compensation for programs, movies and other content streamed or downloaded over the Internet.

Source

Maybe there'll be new LLS by Christmas after all! :D
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

Stop being mean to your self-insert character, you're just being mean to yourself.
— WeepingWisteria