z

Young Writers Society

What happens after death?

647 Reviews

Reviews: 647
Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:39 am
Alteran says...

This is not the debate forum. This is for other works that do not fit in any of the sections of YWS. Discussions such as these belong in the lounge.
"Maybe Senpai ate Yuka-tan's last bon-bon?"
----Stupei, Ace Defective

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:13 pm
snap says...

I'm with Scotty on the actual beliefs, from what I've read, anyway. However, this subject has always fascinated me. Death has fascinated me. (Yeah, yeah, I'm weird. Quiet, you. :)) Regardless of beliefs, I've always wondered about this. What does it feel like, to die? Does it hurt? Do you remember it? What does hell feel like? What kind of pain is contained in those depths? It is these questions that I find intriguing. I found a video that, I thought, depicts it very well. I don't know how to do the clean link so it doesn't show, so I apologize for the mess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oT9_kjW0UHg

Now, be warned, this was created with Christian viewers in mind. I don't want to offend anyone, and that is not my intention. It was something I, personally, found interesting and powerful. Watch it if you'd like, but please don't think I am arguing against your beliefs, for that's truly not my goal. :)
The beautiful part of writing is that you don't have to get it right the first time, unlike, say, a brain surgeon.
~ Robert Cormier

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:23 pm
kms239 says...

I have my own set of beliefs but in a generic way, I am a christian. I do believe in what the bible says. I, however, believe that the prophets (holy men) who wrote the bible are only human so they may have embelished the things god eligedly said. So I believe there is a heaven if you deserve it or are good at heart. I believe if you don't deserve heaven, you just die and dont even get to have an after life at all whether it be hell or heaven. So it all depends on how you lived according to me.

Religion is such a touchy subject however that nobody really will ever agree 100% what happens after death. It could even be a situation where God (if you believe in him), he sits you down and says "What would you like to do?" and you just choose where you'd like to go. Its allan opinion based off of faith in God and your personal beliefs.
remember; you are unique; just like everybody else

<3 konni

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:14 pm
Sureal says...

I knew people would jump all over me if I shared my opinion. I thought this was a thread to share your opinions, not shoot down other people's. Try not to take anything I said too personally.

I’m not trying to shoot down anyone’s opinion on the afterlife. I’m just pointing out that the whole EM field theory thing doesn’t actually work.

Just for the record, Sureal, your television does not generate an EM pulse from within itself. Second, your TV cannot think neither does it have a soul. I liked your comment because it was a clever wise-crack, but I didn't mean to insult you, I was just saying I thought you were wrong.

You didn’t insult me. ^_^ I’m a hardened veteran of the Debate forums, I cannot be offended. ;)

Anyways:

An Electromagnetic field (its ‘field’, not pulse, BTW) is produced, quite simply, by an electric current. Such a current exists in humans, and this is where the EM field comes from. When the electric current stops flowing (be it in humans or otherwise) the EM field will disappear. There is nothing supernatural about it.

Oh, and another BTW: tv’s do in fact have EM fields, and it too disappears when the tv is not on.

Don’t misunderstand this post - I’m not trying to argue with you, I’m just pointing out that you’ve got your facts wrong when it comes to electromagnetism.

^_^
I wrote the above just for you.

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:26 pm
Prokaryote says...

Anyone interested in this should also look into near-death experiences. Fascinating stuff.

Prokaryote

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:39 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Via wrote:I would like to think we are reincarnated, that would be awesome. But really I think we just die, and there is nothing after it. We are the same as all other living things, and sadly thats what my opinion is of all of us lol.

I'm the same - I like the idea of being reincarnated, and, of all the afterlife theories, I like that the most. However, I do think that we just... die. Cease to exist, as Sureal put it. It's not something I like the idea of, but hey, if we don't exist any more, we're not exactly going to be worrying about it, are we? I think it's just a matter of accepting it.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

130 Reviews

Reviews: 130
Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:46 pm
scotty.knows says...

Because I'm too lazy to rephrase all this stuff and put it down on the page, I'll just give you the link and you can read it there yourself.

http://www.unisci.com/stories/20022/0516026.htm

If you follow the link, you can see where I stand. This isn't really a religious argument, it's a biological one. I think our minds are contained within our EM field. Our EM field comes from the neurons that effectively share the same purpose of the connections within our TV's; but I think that our consciousness is contained within this electrical field.

Like the link says, it's just a theory. However, I tend to agree with it.

I already knew that TV's had an EM field, but I don't think it has a consciousness.
'Merikuh!

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:25 am
onceuponatim3xo says...

I guess I believe in heaven. Whenever I think of it though, I always picture fluffy clouds and angels in robes - stupid T.V., making me picture it like that! I think that heaven is a lot like earth as someone has said before, but there aren't problems, and there's always peace and happiness. Also, you can do what you like to do without being held back, or having it cost you. (like if you love to eat ice cream, you won't get fat, you'll just eat ice cream all day an love it). Also, there won't be any frustrations, and the air and water will be pure.

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:08 pm
hunter111 says...

Hmmm... life after death, er? God, their's so many theory's on this that it's so hard to choose...

My views on it though? i'm not to entirely sure, since it's like Sureal said a little while ago; with the destruction of the brain cells you should cease to exist, theoritically, at least... However, you can't just dismiss all the other theory's revolving around this, since i've heard to many realistic cases involving supernatural beings like ghosts and in some cases, quite valid proof as well...

My views on hell and heaven though? well, if hell did exist then it would be your own personal hell and not something set in stone like Dante depicted, the same with heaven.

Anyway, it's best not to worry to much about that kind of thing; if you worry to much about this then you'll most likely put yourself in an early grave. Still, it's a very intresting thing to talk about, even if we may never be able to properly find out if their is life after death
'No, the burned hand teaches best. After that advice about fire goes to the heart' - gandalf, lord of the rings.

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:24 am
lyrical_sunshine says...

I'm with scotty.knows in that I'm a rebel Christian with some weird views. Well, not weird, i guess, just...radical. So here's my take.

I believe that Hell is painful, yes, and probably hot. But more than anything I believe that it is utter loneliness. The Christian view is that hell is for those who never had a relationship with God, who never found the ultimate lover, the ultimate friend. So it stands to reason that being completely separated from Him would be complete, one-hundred-percent loneliness. Sucky, yes. But preventable. (I won't preach at anone, but if you want to know my take on God and following Christ, talk to me. I've got stories. :D )

As far as heaven goes, I don't agree with scotty, i'll admit. I don't think heaven will be boring, because that's not like God. What i know of God is that He's one giant adrenaline rush, so I think heaven will be the same. Have you ever read C. S. Lewis' "The Last Battle"? Where after they die they can run and not get tired, swim up waterfalls, fly? That's what I think heaven will be like. Adventure, joy, power, passion, awe. Those moments when you feel completely at peace, completely at home, completely excited about your life and where it's going.
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

79 Reviews

Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:37 am
Dr. Jamie Bondage says...

I agree, Lyrical. THis question was asked of me, "Hypothetically, if heaven was perfect just like the Bible describes, but God wasn't there, would you be satisfied/happy with that?" So...I think there is a heaven, and I think hell is going to be physically and emotionally painful.
"This kind of love is not a product of reasonings and statics--it just comes-none knows whence-and can't explain itself. And doesn't need to." Mark Twain

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:03 am
lyrical_sunshine says...

*blinks* Oh my goodness, there's someone on my side! *faints* it's a miracle! lol.

Hey, i really like your avatar, DesperateRomantic. It's pretty. :D And welcome to YWS.
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:25 am
Doctor Kitty says...

I must say I like C.S. Lewis' version.

But who knows.

I'm not concerned with it. Death will just be another adventure. And if it's not....Then hey. I'd have no idea, huh? ;)

A lot of people assume that heaven would be boring because it would be perfect. Eventually you would run out of things to do and you'd be bored for all eternity. Seeing as no one has experienced Unchanging, no one really has a good view on it. Besides, we get bored with our world all the time, and it changes every second, does it not?

79 Reviews

Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:41 am
Dr. Jamie Bondage says...

Lol. Thanks Lyrical. And yes, I am on your side! XD I'm not a "traditional" Christian...but that's okay. We are all brothers and sisters in Christ! XD Lol.
"This kind of love is not a product of reasonings and statics--it just comes-none knows whence-and can't explain itself. And doesn't need to." Mark Twain

130 Reviews

Reviews: 130
Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:25 am
View Likes
scotty.knows says...

Wow, it doesn't sound like there is anyone who identifies their selves as a "typical Christian" on this thread.

I didn't say that I thought heaven would be boring. Did I? Well, if I did, I didn't mean it that way. I said that I get my sense of fun from risk and danger, but that if there isn't any risk and danger in heaven, then there has to be something even better.

CU there. :!: Don't take that as a suicide message.
'Merikuh!

Attention is the beginning of devotion.
— Mary Oliver, Upstream