z

Young Writers Society

God

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:20 pm
Twit says...

At present, Ayra, it looks like you're an Agnostic. (If that's not the right term, then I apologize for faulty knowledge) Someone who doesn't believe in anything.

Why this sudden quest for a religion?
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:29 pm
Sureal says...

Seriously, you don't have to put any effort into it at all if you don't want to. Just be a Radical Agnostic ("I don't give a crap.").
I wrote the above just for you.

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:38 pm
motherflippinflapjacks says...

I practice something that isn't really a religion, but a philosophy. It's called humanism. We basically believe that everyone has self worth, should be treated equally, etc. But we are different from most religions as we don't appeal to certain gods or a god. We ask ourselves to decide right and wrong based on rationality. If you know that it's wrong (and your gut should tell you), then it's wrong. We tend to stay away from things like belief without reason, the supernatural, or anything of divine origin. And when I say stay away, I don't mean reject. I mean we try to not focus on how other forces control us, but more of how we control ourselves. However, you can still believe in a god and practice humanism.

My mom is a little different than me. She practices animism, which is the belief that everything has a soul, it should be treated as if it was human, etc. Her beliefs reside more in the supernatural and nature. I'd have to ask her more about it considering she does her own thing. It's really complicated.

As for the rest of my family, they're roman catholic. I'm sure someone else could explain the religion better to you. I don't really know much about it's foundations in belief.

I hope that answered your question. If not, just ask me to clarify for you. :)
"I wonder if Ryan realizes that he's really twelve and a passenger on the Titanic." ~ A loving friend

602 Reviews

Reviews: 602
Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:42 pm
Wolf says...

Thanks, er...Flapjacks? (Cool username, but I don't want to call you 'motherflippinflapjacks' :lol:)

ئ twit ئ : I'm not sure, really. I'm just interested in religion...^^

Sureal: Good idea, actually. Maybe I will look into that too.
everything i loved
became everything i lost.

Would you like a review?
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic73903.html

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:44 pm
Twit says...

If you know that it's wrong (and your gut should tell you), then it's wrong.

Sounds like Mulan 2, no offence. :lol:
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

602 Reviews

Reviews: 602
Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:47 pm
Wolf says...

Haha heehee I love the avatar twit! And the username too! How did you get those swirly things before the word 'twit'?
Oh..one more questiom; it says you used to be Shadowtwit, so how did you change your username?
everything i loved
became everything i lost.

Would you like a review?
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic73903.html

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:50 pm
motherflippinflapjacks says...

ئ twit ئ wrote:
If you know that it's wrong (and your gut should tell you), then it's wrong.

Sounds like Mulan 2, no offence. :lol:

no offense taken. Humanism is a very common philosophy, so I'm not surprised that you can relate it back to things you see, including disney movies. haha
"I wonder if Ryan realizes that he's really twelve and a passenger on the Titanic." ~ A loving friend

647 Reviews

Reviews: 647
Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:33 am
Alteran says...

This is clearly in the wrong section.

*moved to the lounge*
"Maybe Senpai ate Yuka-tan's last bon-bon?"
----Stupei, Ace Defective

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:25 am
Aet Lindling says...

Well, first off, I'm an atheist, to be honest. Honest, as in, tradition-wise, I'm a Jew, and that's what I'd say on the census I suppose, but actual belief-wise, I don't believe in it.

Anyways, it appears as if you're an agnostic, or at least that's what you're closest to. There is a term I think, for someone who believes in God but has no idea what It is like, but the closest I'm coming up with is Bokononism. XD (Cat's Cradle, Vonnegut) I think the phrase is *something*-Agnostic.

But for right now, given your current beliefs, methinks you should just classify yourself as Agnostic.
dun worry
it's all gun be k

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:14 am
bobiscool134 says...

To try and answer your question, I am a christian. A christian basically believes that Jesus (the Son of God) died on the Cross, he was a perfect sacrifice. I saw that you said "I don't want to believe in something as strongly as a Christian, but..." The wonders of the Christian faith is that you do not have to be a strong Christian. All a Christan has to do is believe that Jesus died on the cross, and that's it. The Christian faith is one based on just that, faith. They are not saved by works, in fact, works will not do anything to change your position in heaven.

Now, I'm not saying this because I'm trying to convert you, I am just trying to answer your question as best I can. I do believe your original question was to have religions explained to you.

bobiscool
there are 10 different types of people in this world, those who know binary and those who don't

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:05 pm
Aet Lindling says...

Uh... I believe that. It's kind of common history... And yet I'm an atheist?
dun worry
it's all gun be k

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:25 pm
Sureal says...

Yeah. I believe a lot of people died on crosses. ^_^
I wrote the above just for you.

441 Reviews

Reviews: 441
Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:33 pm
Gwenevire says...

I don't believe in god..
I have my own religion... That I am currently forming.

~ Gwen

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:55 pm
Leja says...

All a Christan has to do is believe that Jesus died on the cross, and that's it. The Christian faith is one based on just that, faith.

Actually the foundation of Christianity is that Jesus Christ is the son of God, he was crucified, and then rose from the dead. The history books say He is human, not divine, and that's where the difference is. Actually, that's a major difference between a lot of other religions as well.

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:35 pm
bookworm201 says...

Okay, I'm Catholic (ducks and covers)... please don't shoot! And since we're often misunderstood, I am quite good at explaining my religion.

By the way, I do know that there were some evil Catholic people, but there are evil people in ever religion, so... I will also admit that there are/were some major problems with Catolicism- it is a human creation, so it's not perfect. And though we have our crazy leaders- Bloody Mary and the Crusades, anyone- who doesn't? For every Bloody Mary there's the opression of the Catholic Irish bythe Protestant Minority- everyone's been opressed and the opressor, it's just that some people haev bigger targets on their backs.

Sorry for the rant.

Okay, so basically, we believe all the basic Christian stuff- the stuff that everyone's been repeating- but we have a central organization based in Rome with the Pope. Now, some people will tell you that the Pope is liek God, but he isn't. He's our spiritual leader who is elected to succeed whoever was Pope before him.

One of the reasons I like being Catholic is that we have Mary and the communion of saints concept. I know every Christian group has Mary, but I Catholics look at her differently- we respect her more, I think. That's not a good explaination, but I can't think of how to put it. (I'm not syaing that other people don't respect Mary, but that's as close as I can get to what I want to say...)

I also love our tradition and the feeling of belonging. My church is like a family, even when we go through hard times. Again, hard to explain.

I see no reason to celebrate the random timing of natural events by eating poison and singing.
— Dilbert