z

Young Writers Society

Attention Storybook Writers! Answer me this...

Would you be interested in something like this?

Absolutely. (Let me know who you are)
50%
Yes, with some conditions. (specify, please)
50%
No (and here's why)
No votes

Total votes : 14

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:46 pm
Ego says...

So I had this idea.

I was thinking about making a storybook--a storybook that brought together the best the storybook forum has in terms of writing, to make the best storybook we possibly can: in terms of quality, in terms of quantity, and in terms of sheer awesomeness.

So here's what I was thinking.

The storybook idea would magically appear in the storybook forums.

You all would read the idea, and come up with characters for it. You would submit a full character profile, with biography, to me for approval. You would also be required to submit a writing sample, to a prompt I would post in the storybook thread. There would be only X number of slots available, on a first come first serve basis. By submitting a character, you would agree to post in the storybook at least X number of times per week. I would review the character, send it back to you for any corrections, and repeat the process until we got a character that works well for the plot.

Once we got a cast, we would start the storybook.

NOTE: the writing sample is more to make sure you can write coherent English than to determine the quality of your writing. Most people that have done storybooks with me in the past know that I'm fairly lenient in terms of writing, and am always willing to help if need be.

Whadaya think?
Last edited by Ego on Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:50 pm
Rydia says...

I think it's a great idea but there are a few things we'd need to sort out. Like how big was you thinking of making X times a week? Only, I'm pretty sure most people couldn't manage more than two and there'd be some weeks where they'd need time off - i.e. holidays and such - also, how long would the storybook run for? Would it be indefinate? And if so, would failure to meet the minimum posts instantly count in the loss of your place or would there be a warning system?

Just a few things to consider but yeah, I think it's a good idea and only hope that my writing will prove worthy.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:53 pm
Via says...

Yea, sounds good.....but what would the storybook really be about? That's kind of a deal breaker/maker to a participation decision. Also, would there be certain rules to follow on the posts? Like, not being able to post for other people? That would be good.
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:53 pm
MadHatter says...

I think that would be a good idea, only you'd need to make the times per week decent. I know you've mostly likely already thought about this, but I just had to bring it up.
Voldemort: You kids! If I ever find out who's calling I will tell the wizard law and you will go to wizard jail and then I'll kill you!

Harry Potter Puppet Pals - Wizard Swears

576 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:02 pm
Ego says...

Kitty-- "X" would be no more than three, perhaps four. Holidays and such could be discussed, of course, as people have lives outside YWS ^_^ The storybook would run its course, ending at a logical ending place--so indefinite. Failure to meet minimum post requirements would result in me being angry at you and seeing what's up. Probably three weeks not meeting the requirements would equal a termination.

Via-- Standard storybook rules would apply, defined in the storybook thread if it gets off the ground.

Hatter-- Always considered. ^_^
Got YWS? I do.

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:10 pm
Crysi says...

After talking with you about it, yes, I'll do it. :)
Love and Light

661 Reviews

Reviews: 661
Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:18 pm
Jasmine Hart says...

I would like to do this, but I'd need to see how many posts would be required per week and what length would be expected for each. Any idea on the sort of plot which it would have?
"Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise."
-Maya Angelou

576 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:22 pm
Ego says...

Jasmine--plot is yet to be determined, but it will likely be a fantasy storybook with a heavy focus on writer involvement in shaping the plot. Everyone will get a say in what happens, I merely provide the direction.
Got YWS? I do.

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:43 pm
Griffinkeeper says...

What if other active authors are waiting for an inactive author to post? Would they just 'skip' the other author?
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

Random avatar

Reviews: 124
Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:21 pm
Reyu says...

This greatly depends (for me at least) on the subject matter of said Story Book. You gotta 'wow' me my friend. I have never really ran with the story book crew before, every time I tried I either said 'pfft' and left, or got disappointed with how crappy it turned out. Other than that, the current story books are less than worthy (forgive, I watched Aladdin yesterday)

If I like it I could easily write three times a week for it. If members become inactive... Hmmm... Buddy system?

WOW me dono, wow me.

Maybe some sort of 'turn based system'?
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

~George Carlin

The Completely Evil Plan.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:59 pm
Areida says...

I have no problem with the post requirements; all of that is fine with me. I'd just have to see if I was into the story or not, otherwise I wouldn't be any help at all, LOL.

But yeah, I'd be up for it.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

602 Reviews

Reviews: 602
Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:12 pm
Wolf says...

That sounds really cool!
I know I'm only a new member, but if my writing is worthy I would love to participate.
But, would there be a certain theme or plot? And how many people would be allowed to write for the storybook?
everything i loved
became everything i lost.

Would you like a review?
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic73903.html

116 Reviews

Reviews: 116
Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:46 pm
Maybe says...

I'm with Areida, I'd have to know what the story is about. Otherwise, i'm in, most definatly.
Be the cartoon heart. Light a fire, light a spark. Light a fire, flame in my heart. We'll run wild, we'll be glowing in the dark.

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:47 am
MadHatter says...

If it's any help in deciding whether or not to do it, I'm in. I think we need a storybook with some more structure and order.
Voldemort: You kids! If I ever find out who's calling I will tell the wizard law and you will go to wizard jail and then I'll kill you!

Harry Potter Puppet Pals - Wizard Swears

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:04 am
Teague says...

You had me until I read the word "fantasy storybook."

Dealbreaker for me, sadly. But maybe it would be possible to work out multiple storybooks like this that bridge different genres?
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

i, too, use desk chairs for harm and harm alone
— Omni