z

Young Writers Society

5.6 Earthquake in Northern California

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:13 am
Tessitore says...

Tonight at 8:04 PM Pacific time a 5.6 Earthquake hit the Silicon Valley (A.K.A.--Northern California) five to seven miles east of Milpitas and Alum Rock. The earthquake came in two distinct waves to those closest to the epicenter but there was minimal damage except for places quite close to the epicenter.

On a personal note...

I was outside doing the bad thing (smoking a ciggie, when I'm supposed to be quitting...) watching a helicopter and talking to my cat. Suddenly I feel a jolt that nearly knocks me off the balcony. Recognizing the signs, I abandon my cat, bolt inside and situate myself under a doorjam. The apartment is swaying back and forth like a ship at sea, but nothing falls off the walls or off table tops. After about 32 seconds the shaking stops.

...and my heart is pounding.

As far as we can tell, there have been no injuries.

Just thought yall should know.
I'm not even angry... I'm being so sincere right now.
Even though you broke my heart.
And killed me... And tore me to pieces.
And threw every piece into a fire.
-"Still Alive"- GLaDOS

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:24 am
Emerson says...

Yeah.... I was in the middle of a conversation with Crysi when it happened ><

How bad is a 5.6?
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

915 Reviews

Reviews: 915
Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:34 am
Incandescence says...

Richter scale, Suzie! Base 10!

5.2 falls right in the middle at "Moderate"--although I'm fairly certain that any corporeal earthquake is enough, no matter the intensity, to make it "too much."
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders." -Hal Abelson

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:34 am
Snoink says...

Dude! That was awesome! It was like a roller coaster... but no line! SQUEE!

And yeah. Not too bad... kind of fun actually. :) Although I did get a little seasick, lol.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:50 am
Griffinkeeper says...

I was in the brand new library at school. It felt really disorienting for about thirty seconds. You could feel the ripples through your seat and the lights were swinging too.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

Random avatar

Reviews: 124
Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:02 am
Reyu says...

I know a strange fact about earthquakes... but I am afraid that fact is of an adult matter. So I can not mention it. LoL.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

~George Carlin

The Completely Evil Plan.

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:15 am
Meshugenah says...

*hugs Tess*

I felt it all the way up here, though it wasn't much. More like a few seconds of rolling, and me, half-sick and half-asleep, falling out of my chair. And then IMed about a minute later by a friend at home, asking if I felt the earthquake. Worst we had (other than my balance issues) was a few rattled shower doors. I'm glad you're ok!

And oh dear.. that fault line looks like it runs right through my hometown.. eep.
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:33 am
Crysi says...

Yeah, Bek. Pretty much.

It was... really terrifying, as I'm sure anyone I was online with at the time could tell. (Sorry for interrupting the conversation with that expletive, Clau -- I'm sure you'll understand.)

Really, I didn't know what it was at first. But when my bed wouldn't stop shaking and my dressers started rattling I just... sorta freaked. By the time I got to my door it was over, but... still pretty terrifying. Especially when realizing there could still be aftershocks.
Love and Light

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:37 am
Emerson says...

*hugs Crysi* Yeah, I forgive you XD

I was worried for you. >< if you wouldn't have come back to the computer I think I would have started shouting through IM.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

When something is broken, it can be fixed.
— Benjamin Alire Saenz, Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe