z

Young Writers Society

Inheritance - Trilogy or Cycle?

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:23 am
Cpt. Smurf says...

It was announced today that the Inheritance Trilogy is the Inheritance Trilogy no more - a forth, full-length novel has been added to the Trilogy, expanding Eragon and Saphira's adventures.

"I plotted out the Inheritance series as a trilogy nine years ago, when I was fifteen. At that time, I never imagined I’d write all three books, much less that they would be published" said Paolini. "When I finally delved into Book Three, it soon became obvious that the remainder of the story was far too big to fit in one volume. Having spent so long thinking about the series as a trilogy, it was difficult for me to realize that, in order to be true to my characters and to address all of the plot points and unanswered questions Eragon and Eldest raised, I needed to split the end of the series into two books."

In addition to the announcement of a fourth book in the series, the release date has been announced for the third book, which still remains un-named: September 23, 2008.

Full story here.

I think I'll reserve my opinion on the matter 'till after some of you have had your say.

Although I think it's safe to say that, if he needs two books to end the story, his thesaurus will be very worn and torn by the end.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:26 am
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

:*shudder*:

I don't think the literary world can take much more of this before it throws up the crap right back at Paolini's face.

I wonder what color that Brick will be.
ohmeohmy

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:29 am
Sureal says...

Who knows, maybe the next two books will actually be well written? He's young after all - presumably he's still improving his writing.
I wrote the above just for you.

79 Reviews

Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:43 am
Cpt. Smurf says...

Sureal wrote:Who knows, maybe the next two books will actually be well written? He's young after all - presumably he's still improving his writing.

Judging by readers' response to Eldest (I wasn't in the mood for that sort of self-harm, so I never read it), it looks unlikely. But, you know, maybe they'll be alright... *cough*

Personally, I think Mr. Luc- sorry, Paolini is getting a little greedy. If he'd already planned out his entire story, he would have known then whether there would have been any possibility of being a fourth book. He's never made so much of a suggestion towards the possibility before, and all of a sudden he springs this 'there's gonna be more books!!' statement on the unsuspecting reading public. It's just easy money for him, isn't it.

What's even more depressing is the reaction to that post, from what I've read on the comments board: 'It's like my birthday and Christmas have come early...' *vomits*
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:48 am
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Hmm, it seems to me, in a weird way, to be an attempt to keep up with Rowling's revelation about Dumbledore. Maybe Paolini has a dream of topping Potter? :P
ohmeohmy

79 Reviews

Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:58 am
Cpt. Smurf says...

Well, a dream it will stay. Topping Potter?

*falls off chair*

XD

He made a video announcement from his 'home in Montana'. http://alagaesia.com/kvetha/ How much are you willing to bet it's not really his house?

I never knew how boring it is watching one person talk about himself so much.

And wow, that is a heavily edited piece of footage. I suppose they had to remove all the 'me, myself and I' ramblings.

~Stewie Griffin

506 Reviews

Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:04 am
Sureal says...

Personally, I think Paolini is an excellent speaker, and I suspect this is where a lot of his success comes from.

When he speaks about his writing, he's very confident, bordering arrogant. And this seems to be a sort of magical place to be, because the arrogance isn't overbearing, and it allows him to come off as a very charasimatic. I find that if I watch a video of him, he can actually convince me that his books are pretty good, even though I know this isn't true.

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:00 pm
Phindin says...

Feh.

Surely it occured to him that perhaps he could have simply trimmed the 3rd book as opposed of writing a 4th one? Eldest was verbose enough as it is. If too much material is his problem, it could simply become a good lesson in condensing. But no. Who cares about continuity, right? Let's just keep milking the Money Cow.

Also, I don't like how works his plot – he needed a good ending for Book Three, so he decides to kill someone off for that single purpose? Ew. I guess someone has to become Darth Vader, though.

Which actually brings up a positive point: the original Star Wars had only three volumes, so he plot in Book Four might have to show some actual creativity. But then again he could simply mooch off something else. Hopefully not the Star Wars prequels. =P
"Buy, buy, buy, buy; sell, sell, sell
How well you've learned to not discern;
Who's foe and who is friend,
We'll own them all in the end."

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:29 pm
deleted6 says...

Okay I gave him a chance, he's too "me". It just suprises me one thing about books. My friend Rian loves him yet he read Lord of the Rings. He said him "If you don't like Eragon, you're not a fan of fantasy."

Oh well, he annoyed the author back to my good old non arrogant music lmao.
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:36 pm
bookworm201 says...

I won't say all his press is because of his age, but we have to admit some of it is... we just have to hope our well written novels will be met with even more...

He's more of a buisness man than a writer- he's selling his writing and he's good at it, no doubt, (selling his writing, not actually doing it). I just hope one day he wakes up and realizes his works will never last. He's a firework- all bang and nothing left over afterwards.
"reading one book is like eating one potato chip."
-diane duane in so you want to be a wizard
[url=secondday.proboards.com]best rpg ever[/url]

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:56 pm
Dreami says...

listening to that burned my ears. "I, I, I, I, I!" *pukes* Yeah, you may be talking about your book, but can't you act less arrogant.

Something like, "After beginning the third book of the Inheritance Trilogy, I realized that [s]my series sucks and I ripped lots of stuff off from the Fantasy greats and I am going to just drop off the face on the planet.[/s] the book would become too long, so I am splitting it into four parts. I am so grateful for the support of all the Inheritance fans, and hope that the next two books live up to your expectations."

The end.

If I'm ever a writer and stupid enough to not plan my book properly and unable to condense it, therefore I am confronted by this problem, I'd do something short and sweet like that, and then probably answer some reader's questions about it, dropping a few hints to make people want to go read the last one.

Egotistical Brat whose parents own a publishing company. At least it becomes a good motivator for me to finish my book.

506 Reviews

Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:45 am
Sureal says...

Required disclaimer: The idea that Paolini's family owned a publishing company really is overblown. It was a tiny group, that only ever published like three other books. It was esentially self publishing, which you could do too. Heck, considering that the self publishing route is the hardest through which to achieve success, I think it makes Paolini's acomplishment all the more impressive, not less.

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:20 am
Phindin says...

I would agree that a lot of the anger directed at Paolini stems from pretty bad sour grapes.

Some people get lucky, kiddies. Sorry. D=
"Buy, buy, buy, buy; sell, sell, sell
How well you've learned to not discern;
Who's foe and who is friend,
We'll own them all in the end."

79 Reviews

Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:37 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Phindin wrote:I would agree that a lot of the anger directed at Paolini stems from pretty bad sour grapes.

Or from the fact that he is a terrible writer. The man cannot write. If he was, say, a complete unknown, and went and posted some of his chapters on this site, he would be ripped to shreds. Of course it makes people angry that someone with no apparent skill, imagination or creativity can be so successful. It would be like an artist spending months, maybe years on an incredible painting, only to be outshone by some 'art' which consists of a bucket of paint being thrown against a brick wall. It's just... wrong.

I'm not saying that I deserve, or am good enough, to be successful and recognised, yadda yadda yadda, but there are much better writers, even on this site, that don't get any recognition at all.

And it's his attitude as well. Really, every time I see him speak I want to throw the deluxe edition of Eldest right at his smug little face.

~Stewie Griffin

506 Reviews

Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:07 pm
Sureal says...

Thing is, the Inheritance Series/Saga/Quadrology/whatever isn't a piece of art. It's a product, one that Paolini's made, marketed, sold, and got rich off of.

You have been de-shenaniganed.
— WaffleCat