z

Young Writers Society

Remembering one of my kin's birthday

362 Reviews

Reviews: 362
Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:32 pm
Fishr says...

Amasa Ladd was my 8th Great Uncle. On October 18th, he turned 245 years old three days ago. So, it’s a belated birthday wish. ; ) Out of any of my ancestors, I’ve spent more time reading about Amasa. He was quite the individual to say the least ranging from his enlistment in war to being known as one of the first pioneers to settle Pittsford, Vermont. My thoughts now on his character is this: Amasa was determined and ambitious.

He served in the Connecticut and Vermont Militia during the American Revolution. Perhaps he only enlisted to earn cash, and knowing my family, that wouldn’t surprise me! Most of my earliest members were pretty poor. So, it’s funny to think that Amasa very well may have just wanted earnings and the “cause” was just a flap in the breeze to him.

Below, I have setup a virtual memorial to Amasa on Find A Grave. It also gives more detailed information about his service, a little on his wife, Elizabeth Cox, a soldier that was stationed with him in Crown Point, New York, and so forth.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cg ... =20475742&

Soon, I will be adding a memorial for Elizabeth (Betsey) Cox, and their son, Ira since I discovered their final resting spots last Sunday while “graving.” Speaking of Betsey, as so often she was called it appears, she has an interesting side-story. Pittsford Indians ambushed her, and took Betsey as their prisoner. In addition, the Indians slashed her horse's neck, which she had borrowed the animal. What happened to Amasa’s wife you ask? Well, like any good author, that would be cheating. We writers love to leave our readers in suspense. Evil, yes, I know but I’m working on her memorial already.

I typically do not request much in general but if you could leave a flower in this thread or on Find A Grave (though you’ll have to register), or a note, I would be most grateful. The reason for this request is not because of his service, nor that he’s my relative but the fact that Amasa could very well be in an unmarked grave. And, that truly is unfortunate. I cannot locate his stone anywhere. Not in Connecticut, Vermont or New York.

So, Captain Amasa, rest in peace, sir. Always remembered by me and the rest of our family. Huzzah!

Thank you!
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:44 pm
Rydia says...

There you go, I left some flowers and a note...
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

362 Reviews

Reviews: 362
Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:52 pm
Fishr says...

:o

Thank you very much, Kitty. I am a firm believer on fate, and I'm hoping it'll steer me to his grave, even if it is a rock...

Cheers!
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

You walk into this room at your own risk, because it leads to the future, not a future that will be but one that might be. This is not a new world, it is simply an extension of what began in the old one. It has patterned itself after every dictator who has ever planted the ripping imprint of a boot on the pages of history since the beginning of time. It has refinements, technological advances, and a more sophisticated approach to the destruction of human freedom. But like every one of the super states that preceded it, it has one iron rule: logic is an enemy and truth is a menace.
— Rod Serling