Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:11 pm
magiclukehutch says...

I just couldn't believe it when I heard the news. I'm still shocked
Always happy to help!

915 Reviews

Reviews: 915
Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:11 pm
Incandescence says...

Yeah, back in my day, the phrase "I'm gonna go back there and take a wiz" was, like, totally innocent.

Ah well.

Reachus aroundum!
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders." -Hal Abelson

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:14 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

BrokenSword wrote:It was dumb. It sounded tacked on at the last minute, and it sounded like she was under pressure to "stand up for gay rights" or that sort of nonsense. I mean it's a children's series. Did she really have to do that?

What difference does it make that it's a children's series? If homosexuals truly are equal, then that should make them as eligible to be in a children's book as straight characters. This "Ooh, they're gay, we musn't let the kiddies see" attitude is probably one of the reasons why homophobia is still rife in today's society.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

Random avatar

Reviews: 45
Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:20 pm
magiclukehutch says...

If anyone thinks that this is a good thing what JK has chose, then they must be mad. Being gay is NOT normal.
Always happy to help!

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:32 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

That's entirely a matter of opinion. If you wish to express your opinion on the subject, you should do so in the appropriate forum, in the Debate and Serious Discussion usergroup.

Also, we would all appreciate it if you kept your more insulting thoughts to yourself when posting in the forums, and it is only good manners to consider other people's feelings when posting.

Also, you may wish to consider finding out a bit more about homosexuality and gays before you pass judgement - had you met any gay people, you would find that they are just as normal as straight people. They just have a different preference - something which they have no control over.
Last edited by Cpt. Smurf on Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

Random avatar

Reviews: 45
Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:35 pm
magiclukehutch says...

Sorry, but gay people just annoy me. Apoliges
Always happy to help!

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:51 pm
Cade says...

But if Dumbledore was a mentor who was going to save you from an evil Dark Lord, why on earth would his sexuality matter?

I dunno about you, but Dark Lords seem like a much more dangerous problem to me.
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:56 pm
Galatea says...

magiclukehutch, have we met before? Because unless we have, I'm a little irritated that you find me annoying without even having met me.

I think what is at the core of the irritation with JK 'outing' Dumbledore is the fact that many people like him. They find him an interesting character. And now, when they find out his lifestyle doesn't meet their ideals, they freak...because Dumbledore is their friend. The whole situation rings really true for me. Provided that Dumbledore is gay, he was certainly skilled at hiding his preferences, largely because they don't matter. Could you imagine what the Ministry might have done to him had they known? Being 'in the closet' is a matter of self-preservation for many people. Perhaps for Dumbledore as well. His orientation would inform his choices as much as any other personality trait, but no one knows, because no one has to know. At the end of the day, is it really my business to know who Albus Dumbledore prefers to share a bed with? No. Albus Dumbledore is a wonderful character, and in the world of Harry Potter he was a great man. Being gay does not and should not change that.
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

Random avatar

Reviews: 61
Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:07 pm
BrokenSword says...

Cpt. Smurf wrote:
BrokenSword wrote:It was dumb. It sounded tacked on at the last minute, and it sounded like she was under pressure to "stand up for gay rights" or that sort of nonsense. I mean it's a children's series. Did she really have to do that?

What difference does it make that it's a children's series? If homosexuals truly are equal, then that should make them as eligible to be in a children's book as straight characters. This "Ooh, they're gay, we musn't let the kiddies see" attitude is probably one of the reasons why homophobia is still rife in today's society.

Because five-six years old don't need to discover homosexuality through Harry Potter. I'm sick of this attitude in the world that says you should put some sort of reference to homosexuality in movies, books, and such, because everyone's supposed to stand up for gay rights or whatever, and if you don't, you're a homophobe.

Orientation should not define someone's life. The same goes for a fictional character. I loved DD's character, but I hate JK for suddenly mentioning "oh by the way he's gay." Completely unecessary.

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:18 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Hey, guys, try to keep the homosexuality debate to the debate forums, please, or I'll have to lock this. This is about Dumbledore, not homosexuals in general.

BrokenSword, if I'm not mistaken (and I hope that I'm not), but Rowling only said, "actually, I've always thought of him as gay." She wasn't tacking it on, she was just saying what Dumbledore seemed like to her. Honestly, a writer doesn't always know her characters. I forgot that Sherman wore glasses for half of a 20k story. (I'm checking the 'Cauldron now.)

(Aha! Confirmation. See her actual interview here.)

Again, she wasn't tacking it on. It's her opinion.

Also, if you hadn't read the review/the 'net hype going around, you wouldn't really know he was a homosexual. It's not in the actual books, it's an interview.

I get the feeling that this revelation will soon become internet legend. XD
ohmeohmy

87 Reviews

Reviews: 87
Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:45 pm
Perra says...

So far, my friends have all loved the news to some extinct. One squealed, another, who had guessed that Dumbledore liked Grindelwald, *squee*ed, and three others posted the link in various places on the internet. It's not that we think this is a point for gay rights, but more because we are a bunch of not-so-straight nerds who are excited to hear that a character from one of our favourite fandoms is not straight, like us.

With as many characters as J.K. had, someone had to end up not-straight.

Edit: According to that Leaky Cauldron article and the one from BBC provided in the OP, apparently J.K. has known/thought that Dumbledore is gay for some time:
"If I had known this would have made you this happy, I would have announced it years ago."

I would think that that means his sexuality isn't just "tacked on", but something she took into consideration while writing the story and developing Dumbledore.
YWS gives me carpal tunnel.

Need a Critique?

Evil lurks everywhere, often in plain sight...Can you lurk in plain sight? Or is that just walking?

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:07 am
Polkadots says...

I thought this was interesting bit of information on Dumbledore's character (I personally though Dumbledore was asexual), but now it's completely overhyped. It's all over the local news "beloved Hogwarts teacher comes out of the closet" is everywhere. It's quite silly really.

I think it was wasn't necessary or unecessary for JK to mention that he was gay. She knew he was gay it just wasn't relevant to the plot...She wasn't standing up for "gay rights" she was developing a character. No one would be upset if he was heterosexual why so much if he was gay? He was an eccentric wizard - he's not bogged down what's considered "socially acceptable".

182 Reviews

Reviews: 182
Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:02 am
Chandni says...

I am actually fascinated by this and actually a bit disappointed by the fact that she didn't say this in the 7th book.

I have to agree with what one of you have said above.

To make homosexuality not available to children, is exactly to discriminate as a whole.

Dumbledore was a great man, and he still is. My ideas about him haven't changed a bit. And the fact that he had an affair with Grindelwald, which they are going to refer to in the 7th book is quite stunning.
I should not keep on, I'll just creep on creepin'on.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:58 am
Nate says...

I hate to be the cynical one here, but who else thinks J.K. Rowling's revelation has resulted in another $100 million for her?

In any case, it's certainly interesting, but it's not going to change how I read the HP series. Which reminds me, I keep on meaning to start from book one again (having last read it in 2000). I don't think we have any copies left in the house, so I'll have to go to Barnes and Noble sometime this week and pick... CONFOUND YOU ROWLING! YOU GOT ME!

:P

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:15 am
Galatea says...

BrokenSword wrote:Because five-six years old don't need to discover homosexuality through Harry Potter. I'm sick of this attitude in the world that says you should put some sort of reference to homosexuality in movies, books, and such, because everyone's supposed to stand up for gay rights or whatever, and if you don't, you're a homophobe.

The knowledge that a character prefers one gender over another is not the detailed description of the illicit relations that person has had with said gender. Homosexuals are finally finding themselves a niche in the world. That is why there is more and more literature, film, and art about gay people. I don't think its an 'attitude', and I wonder why you would be sick of it? Replace gay with African-American, or women. Does that change how you feel about this kind of activism?

It is important for children to understand that everyone is different and that this is not a bad thing. I correct more elementary age boys at my job over the summer than I do college students. "Gay" does not mean "stupid", "fag" is either an insult or a cigarette. That sort of thing. Children won't learn to develop tolerant behavior if they are never exposed to anything new. Rowling never said "Here is the kind of crazy kinky sex Dumbledore had with whats-his-face." That would be highly inappropriate. She said that the character she developed may have loved another man. Love is beautiful, and comes in all forms. Children need to know that, too.

Sumi: I in no way mean this antagonistically, but did you really expect the discussion of Dumbledore's 'outing' to stay strictly to Dumbledore? If it really bothers you, have the thread moved to the debate forum, but don't lock it because people tend to tangent when they talk about things. It denies us the opportunity for more in-depth discussions.
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it.
— Mitch Hedberg