z

Young Writers Society

Dumbledore = Gay

87 Reviews

Reviews: 87
Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:07 pm
Perra says...

Wow, in a way this kind of makes sense. The most powerful, knowledgeable one is gay. I'm happy someone turned out not-straight. There are so many characters, one of them has to turn out not-straight. To bad it wasn't really in the books that much. I think that J.K. Rowling probably did come to this conclusion while writing the books but didn't want any more controversy or thought that, because HP is supposed to be a children/young adult's book, it shouldn't be in there. She also didn't really spend any time on any of the staff's romances. Except Hagrid's.
YWS gives me carpal tunnel.

Need a Critique?

Evil lurks everywhere, often in plain sight...Can you lurk in plain sight? Or is that just walking?

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:27 pm
Griffinkeeper says...

J.K. Rowling didn't tack it on into the books. Dumbledore isn't the main focus of the story, nor do we go into his more private life. (The Seventh Book is the closest we really come to him.)

Overall though, Dumbledore is a pretty neat guy, and the gay thing comes across as just another quirk of the greatest headmaster who ever lived.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:33 pm
Snoink says...

Awww.... I can sort of sympathize with J.K. Rowling! I have some characters in some of my stories who are gay, but I doubt I can go fully into their stories without ruining the books because they aren't the main characters. Sadness! And she was probably rushed to finish the books that she really didn't have time to put that in.

And, even if she did put it in, I doubt the publishers would have let her keep it in. Because let's face it: we all love Dumbledore and everything, but in the end, Harry Potter is who the story is about. And, by the time of the seventh book, it would have been totally considered an infodump. :P

But... really, does it matter that much? He is who he is, no? I think it would have been better if she just let us decide what Dumbledore's deal was. :)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:02 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

In a way, I'm not surprised.

But boy, I bet the yaoi-Potter-fangirls are having a fit of demonic laughter right about now...
ohmeohmy

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:15 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

I'm not exactly bothered about him being gay or not - but it does feel as though she tacked it on for the sake of it. In a way, I'm disappointed that she didn't at least suggest the idea slightly more whilst writing the books - she didn't have to tell us outright, but she could have made us wonder.

Although, looking back on it (for those of us with a considerable level of immaturity), the statement from Griselda Marchbanks, in book 5 during Harry's OWLs, that Dumbledore had "...done things with a wand I'd never seen before" could perhaps be interpreted as a suggestion towards his sexuality XD
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:21 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Hey, now, Kyle, that's rather nasty. :P ([immature]:*snicker*:[/immature])

I do wish we'd learned more about Gellert, though. Such a fascinating storyline.

Maybe I should add a small fanfic for that to my already-tottering pile of story ideas.
ohmeohmy

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:27 pm
Meshugenah says...

Er... I don't know. It doesn't surprise me that much at all.

And I wish I had my books with me - I'd go through and find the passages that made me think about it.
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:27 pm
Areida says...

I'm disappointed. Before it was like, "Yeah! Dumbledore's the MAN!" Somehow his being gay just makes some of his attributes less cool.

Point fingers and call me a homophobe if you want, but I think it's disappointing.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

201 Reviews

Reviews: 201
Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:46 pm
Flemzo says...

I think it's a joke, just like that whole "I'm gonna write a crime novel" joke that went out of hand.

But whether Dumbledore is gay or straight, it doesn't matter: the man is dead.

There's also that little "he's a fictional character" thing, but the main point is that he's dead.

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:25 pm
Cade says...

I think it's perfectly legitimate that Rowling doesn't reveal Dumbledore's sexuality in the books. We've all probably noticed that she carefully avoids controversial modern issues like religion (though there are the nutcases out there who say anyone who reads about magic is going to hell), abortion, and gay rights.

I think what she's trying to put forward is that wizards are above petty Muggle controversies, and she also wants to focus on the universal issues that HP brings up--war, terrorism, education.

If she had noted Dumbledore's sexuality in the book, it would have taken focus away from those essential conflicts. There are lots of things we don't know about characters in the books; we don't know about any of the Hogwarts teachers' love lives ('cept Snape and Hagrid), and we don't figure out a lot about Dumbledore until Book 7 anyway. Clearly, JKR didn't feel that his sexuality was that important--and that sentiment is a good thing.

My main fear with her revealing this is that people will accuse her of saying it only to attract more fans (which has already been mentioned in this thread and which is entirely possible, but it will also attract a lot of enemies) or that people will say his relationship with Harry was a matter of inappropriate sexual interest on Dumbledore's part, which is just unkind.

It also says a lot about the emphasis Dumbledore puts on love...he says that it's the most powerful thing in the world, and he would know!

-Colleen

(And yes...the fanfiction...*shudders*)
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:34 am
Sureal says...

I think everyone here is focussing too much on the fact that he was gay, rather than the fact that he loved the man he killed.

And the fact that JK chose not to reveal this piece of information - that he loved the man that he had to kill* - until after all the books were released irks me, because it's such a missed opportunity to add so much more emotion to Dumbledore's backstory.

I can't help but feel that Rowling thought, "Oh noes, they're forgetting about me! Must make statement that will make the news... hmm, who shall I make gay?"

(*I'm repeating myself, because everyone else seems to have missed that point)
I wrote the above just for you.

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:51 am
Crysi says...

Is it just me, or does that make his winks to Harry a little more... awkward?

I don't know. I always saw him as the gentle grandfather figure who could kick butt in a second, and... I'm just not sure the detail fits. (Don't go flaming me and lecturing me about how not all gay men are flowery or whatever -- I know. Believe me, I know. It's just not.... I don't know.)

Really, though, her comment could be taken as sarcasm, too. *shrugs*

Because it wasn't mentioned in the books, I'm going to choose to disregard it. Like Mesh, I'm not really surprised by it, but it still changes my perception of him, and I refuse to change my perception of the characters after the series is over. He'll always remain the same Dumbledore in my mind.
Love and Light

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:02 am
xhalcyonx128 says...

i too wish that this was mentioned even a little bit earlier, but at least his friendship w the man he killed was played up alot. that made me feel bad for dumbledore, that he had to kill his best friend (and his love as we later find out).

o and Cade: yea she didnt mention gay rights or abortion much if at all, but i cant help but think that the whole bit where harry had to die to save everyone was slightly a messianic allusion (therefore religion). but i agree that religion wasn't mentioned until the 7th book. Time Magazine noticed that, idk if anyone read that issue, but they wrote something about how God dies in Harry Potter (this was back b4 the 7th book was out when everyone was wondering who would die) because there is no God that Harry looks up to, and ultimately the higher being is love. i still think there was a slight biblical allusion in the 7th book tho.

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:07 am
lyrical_sunshine says...

I bet she was joking.
And no, I'm not a homophobe or whatever, but that is just too trivial for JKR to say about her books. HP has too much to it to be about sexual orientation. Honestly.
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:30 am
Cade says...

xhalcyonx128 - Oh, I recognize the loads of religious allusion in HP. I was just saying she didn't go into addressing religious conflicts in the books. There are no fights over religion between characters. God is rarely brought up (in book 7, Harry at one point says "Thank God" and I have a whole discussion of why that happens but I won't bring it up now). I realize that there are lots of religious--and thus literary--allusions, i.e. Harry and/or Lily as a Christ figure.

Sureal makes a good point about him having to kill the man he loved; that would, admittedly, have been an incredible thing to learn and think about when it comes to Dumbledore. In a more accepting world, it would have added much more to the book. But as I said before, if Rowling had put it in, it would have drawn focus away from the central points of the book. We also have to remember that Rowling writes for children as well; though the book appeals to all levels of readers, we can't forget that a large part of her audience doesn't really understand homosexuality. And, as Snoink said, it would've been a big infodump.

It certainly shows a lot about Dumbledore's character, and his understanding of love, and why he struggles to impress upon Harry the power of love. "There are worse things...than death..." he says, and that's because he would know.

It might have been better for her to...keep Dumbledore's sexuality to herself. It's entirely possible that she did it for the attention now that the books are over with. I'll never read the books the same way again, and I'm not really sure if that'll be good or not.
I had questioned Dumbledore's sexuality before...he had so many inner struggles, and no romantic relationships with women that we know of, yet he appreciates the power of love, so I wasn't really sure what his deal was, but I didn't think it was important. Of course, now I know it is, because of the whole complicated Grindelwald thing, but that's a matter of love in general, not of homosexuality, and people should think of it that way.

-Colleen
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

Who, being loved, is poor?
— Oscar Wilde