55%
Yes, with restrictions
9%

Total votes : 11

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:17 pm
Tessitore says...

There was a topic on KGO talk radio this morning that I found rather fascinating.

Apparently doctors of Muslim faith in the European Union, under the Doctors Association tests and courses required to earn their right to practice in European countries, refuse to learn any ailments that deal with alcohol or sexually transmitted diseases. They will not treat or even discuss these topics, and the reason is that it is against their religious beliefs.

Some Muslim doctors have also refused to examine and therefore treat persons of the opposite sex (even with their clothes on...).

To recap, will not test:
-Alcohol or alcoholism
-STD's
-Persons of the opposite sex

My question is; should the European Doctors Association give these Muslim undergraduates the right to practice if they refuse the aforementioned ideas and practices? Should they become working doctors, or be told to seek another profession?
I'm not even angry... I'm being so sincere right now.
Even though you broke my heart.
And killed me... And tore me to pieces.
And threw every piece into a fire.
-"Still Alive"- GLaDOS

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:31 pm
Jules the jester says...

Yes, as i know many muslims are uncomfortable with going to see non muslim doctors.

Plus Europe is multi-national and everyone has a right o learn and do what they want so to take that right away because they wont do three things i childish.

yet it may lead to a larger gap between muslim communities and non muslim ones.
(if it could get bigger)

But we being an understanding and national type of people in teh west we shoudl allow it.
Man:George look at this.
George: look at what?
Man: Ha made you look!
George: Idiot!

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:53 pm
Sureal says...

No. A Doctor's religion should not colour who they are able to treat, and what they are able to treat.
I wrote the above just for you.

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:29 pm
ennui says...

If Muslims (or anyone for that matter) cannot perform their jobs without religious confliction, then they should choose a different career path. Especially with physicians, religion cannot become an excuse to not treat someone.

I honestly can't imagine a scenario where a physician is given approval to refuse treatment because of an affliction or gender. It's sickening and discriminatory.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:20 pm
Rydia says...

Yes. It's important to respect other people's faith and if Muslims are going to live within our societies, they need the opportunity to see a Muslim doctor.

Also, I think that forcing Muslim doctors to change their ways, to go against their faith or give up their career, would cause an even bigger rift between the two communities. It would be the veil crisis all over again but ten times worse and ten times more serious.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

164 Reviews

Reviews: 164
Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:24 pm
Poltergiest says...

I agree, its right to respect someone else's faith but, to me, being a doctor is helping everyone you can. If the job you want interfiers with your religeon then find another occupation. Religeon is more important but don't do something that jepordizes that.

~Pol~
I used to rule the world, see it rise when I gave the word, now in the morning I sleep alone, sweep the streets I used to own

-Coldplay, Viva La Viva

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:23 pm
Tessitore says...

One thing to take into consideration is this; if there are any instances where a person of the opposite sex or someone suffering from an STD or Alcoholic disease and happen to be in an extreme case where a doctor needs to act instantly, and the only doctor around is a Muslim--will that doctor let the person die because of their affliction or their sex?

There are a wide range of sudden and potentially fatal attacks that can happen on any person, including a person of the opposite sex.

With alcoholism and STD's, there can be heart attacks, liver spasms, alcohol poisoning and a variety of other issues that could arise suddenly and seek immediate attention.

If given that a Muslim doctor was there to witness this happen, would they not act? Would they let this person die? Is that not unethical for a doctoral profession?
I'm not even angry... I'm being so sincere right now.
Even though you broke my heart.
And killed me... And tore me to pieces.
And threw every piece into a fire.
-"Still Alive"- GLaDOS

Random avatar

Reviews: 681
Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:38 pm
Sponson Light says...

If you're gonna be a doctor, then religion shouldn't factor into who you treat. You should treat everyone equally.

Its like a computer technician who refuses to work with Mac's and Female customers because of certain beliefs and experiences, or the teacher who refuses to teach gays and jews because of certain beliefs and experiences.
Yeah, no. Shouldn't happen.

If your religion is going to get in the way and prevent you from being a doctor, then don't be a doctor. People have to make sacrifices, either your belief or someone's well being.

Or just don't be a doctor. After all, why hire half a doctor when you could hire a whole one? One that can treat everyone without any problems.
You shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, instead, you should read every single book to see what every book is about before you even come close to judging its viability.

"It's not nice to roast people when they're out of comebacks."
— Tuckster