Nebraska State Senator Sues God

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:34 am
Snoink says...

Nebraska State Senator Sues God
By NATE JENKINS – 9 hours ago

LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) — The defendant in a state senator's lawsuit is accused of causing untold death and horror and threatening to cause more still. He can be sued in Douglas County, the legislator claims, because He's everywhere.

State Sen. Ernie Chambers sued God last week. Angered by another lawsuit he considers frivolous, Chambers says he's trying to make the point that anybody can file a lawsuit against anybody.

Chambers says in his lawsuit that God has made terroristic threats against the senator and his constituents, inspired fear and caused "widespread death, destruction and terrorization of millions upon millions of the Earth's inhabitants."

The Omaha senator, who skips morning prayers during the legislative session and often criticizes Christians, also says God has caused "fearsome floods ... horrendous hurricanes, terrifying tornadoes."

He's seeking a permanent injunction against the Almighty.

Chambers said the lawsuit was triggered by a federal suit filed against a judge who recently barred words such as "rape" and "victim" from a sexual assault trial.

The accuser in the criminal case, Tory Bowen, sued Lancaster District Judge Jeffre Cheuvront, claiming that he violated her free speech rights.

Chambers said Bowen's lawsuit is inappropriate because the Nebraska Supreme Court has already considered the case and federal courts follow the decisions of state supreme courts on state matters.

"This lawsuit having been filed and being of such questionable merit creates a circumstance where my lawsuit is appropriately filed," Chambers said. "People might call it frivolous but if they read it they'll see there are very serious issues I have raised."

U.S. District Judge Richard Kopf, in an order last week, expressed doubts about whether Bowen's lawsuit "has any legal basis whatsoever" and said sanctions may be imposed against Bowen and her attorneys if they fail to show cause for the lawsuit.

The Associated Press usually does not identify accusers in sex-assault cases, but Bowen has allowed her name to be used publicly because of the issue over the judge's language restrictions.

Cheuvront declared a mistrial in the sexual assault trial in July, saying pretrial publicity made it impossible to gather enough impartial jurors.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jqCs ... iB58cfy6Uw
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:43 am
Ego says...

That's amazing.
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:08 am
sabradan says...

This makes me extremely happy.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:02 pm
Twit says...

How stupid and idiotic is that?
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:16 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

These...people.... :*holds head in hands*:

I got a "Stupid" headache just reading that....dude, it's coming in waves off the website...
ohmeohmy

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:45 pm
Via says...

Lol, yes guys...that's our politicians for ya. Go America....lol
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

404 Reviews

Reviews: 404
Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:17 pm
Gadi. says...

Wow. It's funny, but he doesn't really sue God--he wants to make a point in the best manner ever. :)
my world isn't only beautiful
it is so far away

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:48 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

write me wrote:Lol, yes guys...that's our politicians for ya. Go America....lol

:*laughs*: Yeah, let him lead all of us in suing God! Because our team didn't win the football game.

My country 'tis of thee, sweet land of insanity....
ohmeohmy

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:49 pm
Prokaryote says...

"fearsome floods ... horrendous hurricanes, terrifying tornadoes."

I give him five points for alliteration.

Prokaryote

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:03 pm
Stori says...

What a jerk! *bears fangs* He's in so much trouble.
"The one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart."
Miles Vorkosigan

"You can be an author if you learn to paint pictures with words."
Brian Jacques

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:38 pm
sabradan says...

Baroness Ink wrote:
write me wrote:Lol, yes guys...that's our politicians for ya. Go America....lol

:*laughs*: Yeah, let him lead all of us in suing God! Because our team didn't win the football game.

My country 'tis of thee, sweet land of insanity....

Did you even read the article Baroness? He's "suing god" to make a statement against frivolous lawsuits. I stand by my statement, and add that this is AMAZING. And if you;re too naive to understand, well, I'm sorry.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:01 pm
Ego says...

Agreed, Dan. Read the article, people. He's not suing God to sue God. He's doing it to make a point. Try to look past your noses and see the point, rather than the fact that he's suing a deity.
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:40 pm
Areida says...

Clever. Very clever. I say go him.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:55 pm
Nate says...

Cool it Dan and Dono.

I'm going to send this article to my civil procedure professor :P

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:01 pm
Crysi says...

At first I just sort of skimmed it and thought, "Man... People need to back off." But then I really read it and realized how brilliant he is. In fact, if I met him in person, I would thank him.

Very cool article.
Love and Light

Education is education. We should learn everything and then choose which path to follow. Education is neither Eastern or Western; it is human.
— Malala