z

Young Writers Society

Smoking ban in public places [UK]

461 Reviews

Reviews: 461
Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:51 am
GingerLizzy says...

Views on this;

From July 1st, smoking has been banned in public places such as pubs, clubs, restaurants [even those of which had a smoking area before], work, school and even phone boxes. It is now against the law to smoke in any of these places and if caught, you could be under a fine or even a charge in court.

But, now as the smokers are milling out onto the streets into the approaching cold weathers of the winter, is it wise for them to be out there, dropping their cigarette butts on the floor after their daily fix. The law says that these smokers should not dump their remaining nicotine sticks onto the floor like they normally would and instead carry around a small purse type box, that they can discard their cigarettes into. Also, many of the pubs and clubs of which these smokers attend have placed pots of sand out in the street, for the cigarettes to be discarded into. Is this an effective way of making sure the streets stay clean?

I don't think so. While walking down the high street, in my town called Scunthorpe, I witnessed small semi-circles of cigarette ends littered around the doorways of these banned places, making the streets look a mess. What can be done about this and do the smokers have any sort of personal rights as to where they can smoke?

What do you think?
Worship the ginger monkey :) aaand join my new group!

Oh, and enter my new contest!

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:12 pm
Firestarter says...

Smokers have a personal right to smoke as long as it does not infringe on other people's rights not to inhale a deadly, disgusting bundle of chemicals. That's my personal opinion. The law is a good thing. The fact that a lot of smokers litter as well as forcing other people to inhale their digusting habit is just another thing I will celebrate when they eventually ban smoking everywhere except in your own property. I hope so anyway.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:40 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Except if it's banned everywhere, then where are the rights of the smokers? If they smoke away from the non-smokers, then they don't affect anyone but themselves. Personally, I think there should be smoking areas, completely sealed away from the non-smoking ones.

Aside from the fact that pubs across the country are now starting to stink of stale beer and body odour, there is something distinctly unattractive about having to wade through a sea of smokers when you try to get into a pub/restaurant/whatever. Instead of inhalng a relatively small amount of smoke over a long period, people are now getting a good lungful as they enter and leave the pub.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:06 am
Firestarter says...

Hold your breath for one second. It tends to prevent inhaling. Now, when I go home from a night out, my hair, clothes and everything don't smell like I feel down a chimney. I haven't noticed the bad smells of pubs -- you're 15, do you really hang out in pubs all that often? This implies you've probably only got that from hear'say. It's not true. The smell is different alright, but it's not bad. It's better than inhaling dangerous chemicals I don't want to inhale.

When I'm drinking some alcohol, I don't every so often throw alcohol down a teetotal person's throat. This is basically what passive smoking is -- forcing a person to inhale something they don't want to, which is proven to be dangerous to health.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

164 Reviews

Reviews: 164
Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:17 am
Poltergiest says...

I agree with Jack. I think smoking is not only stupid but dangerous. Especially to the other people who are sucking in the nasty smoke. I think smokers have thier rights and should be allowed to smoke, just not so that it'll bother other people.

I think they're should be marked places where people can smoke and where people can't. I personlly don't think anyone should be allowed to smoke but lets just ake things one at a time.

~Pol~
I used to rule the world, see it rise when I gave the word, now in the morning I sleep alone, sweep the streets I used to own

-Coldplay, Viva La Viva

404 Reviews

Reviews: 404
Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:12 pm
Gadi. says...

Smokers are addicted. None of them want to continue smoking, but they can't smoke. That's why this law is good! It can help them stop, plus it will help us not inhale the terrible fumes.

It's sad Europe is filled with smokers. There should be a ban on cigarette companies. I agree that they should have separate places for smokers and non-smokers, but not take it too far and make it different restaurants. But really, smokers have the chance to quit, so it's not our faults.
my world isn't only beautiful
it is so far away

461 Reviews

Reviews: 461
Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 pm
GingerLizzy says...

I actually also think it is stupid that some people have sued some cigarette companies because they have gotten lung cancer or some other sort of disease from smoking.

I just don't understand.
Worship the ginger monkey :) aaand join my new group!

Oh, and enter my new contest!

I tell the neophyte: Write a million words–the absolute best you can write, then throw it all away and bravely turn your back on what you have written. At that point, you’re ready to begin.
— David Eddings