z

Young Writers Society

Beloved Author, Madeline L'Engle, dies at 88

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:04 am
Kel says...

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/books/0 ... index.html

The world really has suffered this week. Pavarotti, D. James Kennedy, Alex the Parrot ... and Madeline L'Engle.

She was born in 1919 and wrote many, many beautiful books. Among them is the Time Quintet:

A Wrinkle in Time
A Wind in the Door
A Swiftly Tilting Planet
Many Waters
An Acceptable Time

There are many, many others. In 1962 she won the Newbury Award for Best American Children's Book for "Wrinkle".

It was Madeline L'Engle that got me into writing. Her book, "Many Waters", was a gift to me back in 5th or 6th grade. My old Reading teacher gave it to me because I was moving away. I almost always had it checked out of her classroom. Sandy and Dennys have taken their journey to Noah and the ark countless times. The Seraphim and Nephilim have flown and loved. Tesseracts, multi-winged and multi-eyed Angels have shown me logic and love. Charles Wallace overcame himself. Meg grew into a beautiful woman and married Calvin O'Keefe.

I salute you, Madeline, and your legacy. I hope I will never corner myself into writing for one particular audience. I don't want to lessen my talents, my goals.

I hope you find peace with Aunt Beast.
Write from the heart and nothing can go wrong. It's when you write from the wallet that the feeling goes away.

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:08 am
little.angelfire says...

All I have to say is:

aww...that's so sweet, Kel....and sad

*hugs Mother Dear*

it's okay
Climb inside my belly button beanbag plastic world!

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:21 am
Aet Lindling says...

Can't believe she's dead...
dun worry
it's all gun be k

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:23 am
Black Ghost says...

What you wrote was really heartfelt, Kel.

And it is extremely sad that she died, but of course she'll always be remembered for her wonderful contributions to the world of writing.

MM

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:21 am
gyrfalcon says...

:( I have her audio book of Wrinkle in Time, read by the author...it always helps me sleep when nothing else can, and dissapearing into Meg's world always makes mine seem easier to bear.

You will be missed. Rest in peace.
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

"If fortis was here, we could have a teal party"
— Pompadour