z

Young Writers Society

College Search

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:33 am
logosgal says...

Well, it's the beginning of my senior year (yay! :smt026), which means that it's about time for me to start looking seriously for a college for next year. (AAAH! :shock:)

So, can anyone suggest colleges in the Continental United States that have good creative writing programs? Preferably east of the Rocky Mountains, but any good colleges anywhere would be helpful.

If you could also tell me a little bit about why you think it's a good school (e.g. you went there, you saw their website, whatever), that would be great, too. Thanks a lot!!! :D

~logosgal

P.S. Also, does anyone know of any websites, books, etc. that would be helpful in looking for a college?
Home is where the books are.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:43 am
Emerson says...

http://collegesearch.collegeboard.com/search/index.jsp

That is how I found my college of choice! It's really good. You can search depending money, private, public, majors, location, etc, etc, and they list a lot of things about the colleges given. The site whole site (college board) is awesome.

Good luck searching! I'm only in my Junior year and I already know where I want to go :)
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

188 Reviews

Reviews: 188
Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:46 am
Evangelina says...

I'm only a sophmore and I've known for awhile! OXFORD! WOOO!
Break the boundaries, hunt the hunter, and leave me a tip.
----to kill or not to kill

915 Reviews

Reviews: 915
Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:56 am
Incandescence says...

logosgale--

Yale has an excellent creative writing department headed by some of the most brilliant fiction writers of our times. The University of Houston is also in the top five Creative Writing programs in the nation, though it is not east of the Rocky Mountains.

Other schools can be found through CollegeBoard, but remember: just because a school is the "best" or a department is the greatest doesn't mean it's the place for you. That isn't to say you aren't worthy of the best or the greatest, but that you should seriously look through the faculty pages of all the schools you are applying to and contact those whose interests seem most aligned with yours. They can really guide your opinion, and will give you invaluable insights both into your application as well as your compatibility with a specific school.

Best,
Brad

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:50 am
Emerson says...

Other schools can be found through CollegeBoard, but remember: just because a school is the "best" or a department is the greatest doesn't mean it's the place for you. That isn't to say you aren't worthy of the best or the greatest, but that you should seriously look through the faculty pages of all the schools you are applying to and contact those whose interests seem most aligned with yours. They can really guide your opinion, and will give you invaluable insights both into your application as well as your compatibility with a specific school.

Listen to the man!

I went to one college and thought I would love to go there, it was perfect. Sure, it was a low end college but I was happy, they had a nice department, I talked with one of the professors, and I was happy. Well, now not only has my idea of a major changed, but my dad found that a few years back some of the teachers were fighting against background checks... I know it's something simple, but it's just odd enough to make you not want to go there, you know?

Visit the college before you make up your mind, and try to get an appointment with someone from the department you want to major in. Try to get as much information as possible.

College is a crazy sea for searching. @_@
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Maybe we're all just complex human beings with skewed perceptions of each other.
— Ventomology