z

Young Writers Society

School holidays in the US

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:38 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

There's been a lot of talk about school lately, so I was wondering:

In the UK, or at least, in England and Wales (I believe it's slightly different in Scotland and N. Ireland), we have three main holidays a year - Summer, which lasts from the end of July to the beginning of September, Christmas, which lasts anywhere from a week and a half before Christmas Day, and a few days after, or a few days before Christmas Day, and about a week and a half after, and Easter, which usually consists of a week either side of Easter Sunday. In addition to this, we also have three half-term holidays, each lasting a week, about half-way between each of the three terms (obviously).

So, my question is, what are the holiday schemes in the US? Are they roughly the same as us, or completely different? Of course, members of any other countries are welcome to enlighten us as well!
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

188 Reviews

Reviews: 188
Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:40 pm
Evangelina says...

I have summer holidays from June to August, then I have a winter holiday which is 2 weeks in december, and then a spring holiday which is one week in feb/march.
Break the boundaries, hunt the hunter, and leave me a tip.
----to kill or not to kill

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:44 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

As a homeschooler, our calendars vary from year to year. ^_^
But we try to keep along with the rest of the world- From late June to late August it's summer break, though some of us do math through the summer. From August to May, we break only for holidays such as Thanksgiving (last Thursday in November), Christmas, Pascha (Easter :roll:) and only a few days of break for everything except Christmas.

Though, as a homeschooling family, our Paschal break is roughly two weeks centering around the actual Pascha Sunday. >_>"

Not counting any flus that go around....those are an automatic school nay'r.
ohmeohmy

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:48 pm
Leja says...

My school breaks for all the normal holidays for a week (Christmas, Easter) summer for two months, and then we'll get random vacations the rest of the school year XD *is spoiled*

188 Reviews

Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:51 pm
Evangelina says...

I wished I was homeschooled.

-pouts-

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:52 pm
Meshugenah says...

Like, oh my GOSH!

So, I love college. Basically, we start in mid-late august. Day off for Labor Day, then Thanksgiving is a few days (or a week? I'm not positive); winter break is also our break between semesters. 6 weeks. Then school starts late January (after my birthday!) and then spring break is a week, I think. Get out mid-may. But there's a bunch of random Monday holidays, and I love it.
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

280 Reviews

Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:52 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Evangelina wrote:I wished I was homeschooled.

-pouts-

:grin: That two-week break is for religious purposes. Most of it's taken up by many church services and such jazz. ^_~
ohmeohmy

188 Reviews

Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:53 pm
Evangelina says...

Yeah but....

I dunno. It seems like to much more fun, less hassle. You dont have to see people you dont like every single darn day.

280 Reviews

Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:54 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Evangelina wrote:Yeah but....

I dunno. It seems like to much more fun, less hassle. You dont have to see people you dont like every single darn day.

You don't see anyone else, either. :mrgreen:

:backtotopic:
ohmeohmy

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:55 pm
Leja says...

Mesh, your post made me realize how much I really am looking forward to college ^_^

188 Reviews

Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:57 pm
Evangelina says...

Yea! Two more years till college....
aw -sniffs-

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:25 pm
Caligula's Launderette says...

Well and then in college in US there are two different systems - the semester system and the quarter system. I'm on the semester system, I believe Mesh is too. It rocks!

Semester starts late august, and basically what all Mesh said.

Quarter starts in late September, my best friend Molly goes to Davis and she starts September 25th (I think). They don't get out until June 15th or so for summer.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

188 Reviews

Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:26 pm
Evangelina says...

I dunno about me. Im going to college in Britain.

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:31 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Evangelina wrote:I dunno about me. Im going to college in Britain.

And, ashamedly, I have very little knowledge of the way college works over here. And I think it varies from college to college, as well. I know someone who's going to Oxford Uni, and she's only away for six months of the year - she goes away for periods of 6 weeks, I think. It was a hurried conversation, lol.

As to the topic, that was an overwhelmingly fast response. It's interesting, the big differences between such huge parts of life, between countries that are otherwise incredibly similar.

At least, I think so!
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

188 Reviews

Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:33 pm
Evangelina says...

ooh! Im going to Oxford!

Deadlines just aren't real to me until I'm staring one in the face.
— Rick Riordan, The Lightning Thief