z

Young Writers Society

School holidays in the US

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:39 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Lol! It's incredibly difficult to get in, though, but I'm sure you'll be able to. It's one of the top Universities in the world; Cambridge, Oxford and Harvard (in the US) are each ranked as the top Universities in the world, in some survey or another.

I myself may be going to Cambridge. If they accept me of course... lol!
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

188 Reviews

Reviews: 188
Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:40 pm
View Likes
Evangelina says...

Yes, I've heard. I'm hoping that if I get published enough, they'll overlook my horrid grades.
Break the boundaries, hunt the hunter, and leave me a tip.
----to kill or not to kill

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:11 am
Nate says...

I live in a community that is a third Jewish, so in addition to all the Federal and Christian holidays one usually gets off (Columbus Day, Christmas, Easter, Memorial Day, etc.) we also got off for Jewish holidays (Yom Kippur, Rosh Hashana) in high-school. I remember it taking over a month of school before we even had one week without a day off or half-day.

In college, we only got a few holidays, but we did get a month off for Christmas, and a week off for spring break.

188 Reviews

Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:15 am
Evangelina says...

where do you live, Nat? In America I mean.

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:17 am
Leja says...

I remember it taking over a month of school before we even had one week without a day off or half-day.

My school doesn't specifically holiday for Jewish holidays, but months like those above happen regularly because the teachers are insane, the scheduling's always funny, and... just because. Tis great.

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:38 am
Teague says...

My holidays seem to occur at different times than everybody else's. Mostly because Arizona is just... weird. xD

Summer holiday usually lasts from mid/late May to mid/late August. The we have two weeks for Christmas and surrounding holidays, usually the last week of December and the first week of January. Then we have one week in March or April (can never remember) for Spring Break. Throughout the year, we have the occasional day off for odd holidays, such as Easter and Good Friday. Some schools get the Jewish holidays off, but they have to have a large percent of Jewish population for that to happen.

Also, in my district, we have one half-day every month for "staff development," which means the teachers get to sit around in boring meetings while the kids run rampant for the afternoon. Hehe. =D
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

188 Reviews

Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:40 am
Evangelina says...

Whoaaaa. You live in Arizona?????!!!!

First person I've met on here that lives where I do.

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:48 am
motherflippinflapjacks says...

My school breaks for a fall break (1 week during november), winter break (2 weeks during december/january), spring (1 week in march), 1 week for Easter, and summer which goes from the end of may to mid-august.

558 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 558
Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:58 am
Matt Bellamy says...

I go to university in England, and it's pretty similar to what KazSmurf described. We start towards the end of September/beginning of October, then have about three weeks off for Christmas, and two for Easter. We finish for summer around June. Unlike the schools though, we don't get half term holidays.
Matt.

Got Tumblr? Me too! http://www.writersam.co.uk

Peeking Cat Poetry Magazine is accepting submissions! http://peekingcatpoetrymagazine.blogspot.co.uk

A ruler leads by example, not force.
— Sun Tzu