z

Young Writers Society

Please Read This...

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:39 am
crewgurl93 says...

Did you know that only three out of a hundred people who start a novel actually finish? And that even less get their work published? Do you know why? Because of those hundred, only three people got constant constructive criticism and support.

Now, you’re probably wondering ‘Why the heck is she telling us this? What’s this got to do with anything?’ I’m getting there. First, I’d like to say that a lot of people on this site are truly helpful and want to see others succeed. But some people on here are a little harsh. That’s the truth. When someone is nice and helpful, but honest, it makes me want to write more and learn more. That’s what we, as fellow writers, need to do. We need to be helpful in our critiques! Not harsh, but nice. Kindness is what makes us better writers. So, the next post you read, find something good in it. Don’t just say ‘This really didn’t do much for me’ or ‘Scrap it and start over’, because these types of comments could deter a potentially brilliant young writer from ever creating again!

The reason I wrote this is because I want us all to become great writers. We have a gift and we can develop it and make it stronger. Also, some people were a bit harsh on me and my writing. I may sound dumb, pointless or amateur at times, but that's who I am and how I write! I may not be the best writer in the world, but, hey, I still have a lot of experience to gain! I mean yeah, my stories and poems are a little rough in some places, but by constructive criticism, I can learn. By telling me to ‘scrap it and start over’ or something like that, you’re not really helping me. I turn to all of you for advice and guidance. I am nice and honest when I critique your work. I always say one good thing about what you write, because we all want a little pat on the back after we get the red pen. Even if it was the worst poem or story ever written, there has to be one good thing about it! I understand that we are all different and have different opinions. That’s what makes us unique in the way we develop our craft.

Also, I don’t write for you. I write for me because it makes me happy. When I’m having a crappy day, I just turn on my computer and go into Word and write! Sometimes I keep it and post it and sometimes I don’t. The main thing is that writing is my life. I love it and will do whatever it takes to become better at it. Also, I write because I want to be the writer that makes you stay up until two in the morning with a flashlight under the covers, just so you can see what happens next. That’s why. Writing isn’t just a hobby. It’s a passion.

So, with that said and done, I’d like to leave you with this little remark; be nice and helpful when you critique. That’s what we all need to become better writers.

Thanks,

Crewgurl :D
Goth-Hippie?!

461 Reviews

Reviews: 461
Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:06 am
GingerLizzy says...

I completely agree with you on this one. I too have recieved a lot of harsh comments on some of my work, some which really hurt and I though 'well... I may as well stop writing now', and I too understand that not all of my pieces of text are perfect and accurate. For goodness sakes, I'm only 15! I can't be the next Stephen King, A.A Milne, whoever! But I might, somewhere in my talents have the ability to be in later life when I have had more experience and practise.

I'm sure Crewgurl will agree with me when we say that advice is fantastic, as it helps us find out what needs to be improved, but harsh comments like 'find a new hobby' and 'this was awful' really dont help. I'm sure everyone will agree with that.

I'm sorry if any of my own reviews have seemed harsh to anyone, I really do and I hope I haven't upset anyone, but if you have noticed, in my own reviews I have outlined the bad and how to improve... but have also outlined the good.

So to you Crewgurl... as my and my 'buds' would say; You go girl !

:)
Worship the ginger monkey :) aaand join my new group!

Oh, and enter my new contest!

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:03 am
Black Ghost says...

Hmm...I really don't think that you can be too harsh. I guess saying "find a new hobby" would be out of line, but I'm sure no one's said those exact words in a critique. And besides, writing is supposed to be a passion, like you said. If someone gives up writing because of a few harsh critiques, then they're not really writers. Those three that finish have a passion, not because everyone around them is all happy and perky.

Because let's face it. Some pieces of work suck beyond all belief and compare, and some of mine are no exception. Critiquers have to be harsh, or the writer will never get the picture. If you say something's bad and explain why, that's not being harsh.

Not everyone is cut out to be a writer, that's why people need to be harsh sometimes. Being able to accept criticism is only a small part of being a writer, so don't make a big deal out of it.

MM
Last edited by Black Ghost on Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

164 Reviews

Reviews: 164
Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:14 am
Poltergiest says...

Wow. You siad that really well. Thanks. I really do agree. Sometimes people give me harsh crits aswell and it really puts me down. You really put that really well. Thanks again.

~Pol~
I used to rule the world, see it rise when I gave the word, now in the morning I sleep alone, sweep the streets I used to own

-Coldplay, Viva La Viva

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:43 am
Snoink says...

The greatest story I ever wrote was the one where someone told me to scrap it and start over. And I followed that advice... lol.

Anyway, on to the critique. At first, it was somewhat captivating and everything because it included us writers as a whole, and I liked that. But then it started talking about "I" and then the whole essay thingy started not working because it became less of an article and more of a rant. Try revising it and pointing, less to yourself and more others.

(And if you really really didn't want a critique on this piece, please ask me to move this to The Lounge. Other is a place to get critiques.)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

522 Reviews

Reviews: 522
Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:17 pm
canislupis says...

This was well written, and I agree almost completely with your point. However, I don't think that everyone needs to be nice just for the sake of it. I don't think that someone should say in their critique that "this was the worst piece ever written.."etc. However, they aren't going to get better if they think that their writing is perfect, because it generally isn't. You shouldn't tell someone their writing is great just to make them feel good.

647 Reviews

Reviews: 647
Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:48 am
Alteran says...

Part of being a writer is learning to accept criticisim. You cant expect others to cater to your emotional needs. This is nicely written, but when you get published and the critics write their reviews they are not going to spare you. They're going to tell you like it is.

Critiques are opinions, and you have to take them with a grain of salt. When you read it you have to tell yourself that you agree with this, or dont really agree with that. You are the author, it is your story and just because someone told you one thing doesn't make it so.

Part of being here is growing a nice thick layer of skin. I can assure you, I've seen far harsher critiques on other sites than here. Let somthings go in one ear and out the other, or in this case in one eye and out the other. Liek I said, it's just one persons opinion and you have the ability to choose to ignore it.
"Maybe Senpai ate Yuka-tan's last bon-bon?"
----Stupei, Ace Defective

188 Reviews

Reviews: 188
Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:56 pm
sarahcrosbeh says...

I agree with what your saying here.

There's a difference between being harsh so someone can improve and just being mean for the sake of it. I mean its a young writers society site...which means some people on here - i.e me - have little experience in writing and have little experience with grammer and such. Obviously we have english lessons at school, but to be honest at my school they're not the best when it comes to teaching us how to write and use the right punctuation.

When you get a review saying, "This was awful start again" it's not really going to help, if anything it will make you think you can't write at all and you'll give up completely. Some of these reviews hurt, especially if your work is very personal. People can be very picky.

Anyhoo, i'll get off my soap box now...

Bye

x
So's your face

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:07 pm
View Likes
Firestarter says...

I agree we all need to be helpful, but I still think criticism is the way to learn.

You have to know how to accept rejection and reject acceptance.
- Ray Bradbury

I have always found I have improved by thriving on the criticism I have been given. I tend to distrust praise. It is fine to want to be supported and helped on with your work, but that doesn't mean sugar-coating critiques so the truth doesn't come out.

I agree with what a lot have people have said -- to show your writing you need to develop a thick skin. After all, if you can't take a harsh critique, what are you going to do when publishers reject you over and over again?
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:57 pm
-KayJuran- says...

Because of those hundred, only three people got constant constructive criticism and support.

I'm... not so sure. Of course, constructive criticism and support are great, but I would argue that those three people just need to be dedicated enough not to stop when someone does say anything against their work.

I understand why you've posted this. After all, it's a knock to your confidence if anyone finds something wrong with your work. Especially as writing is such a personal thing.

I personally know I need to be better, have a thicker skin as Fire puts it. Why? Because even though writing is something that you put a lot of work into, so that it can be painful when errors are pointed out, I know that critiquers do usually have the writer's best interests at heart, even if it doesn't always seem so. They're helping to improve the work, not trying to put people down.

However, if anyone does just insult the work, without saying why, then I'd agree that this could be detrimental. Still, just try to keep positive, perhaps ask someone for a second opinion if you're not sure, but don't give up!
"There you go - sausages à la bread!" - Blue.

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:10 am
Sam says...

I'm with Snoink- the best advice I've ever gotten is, "Start over."

...and I have a shiny, spiffy fifth of a novel to show for it! How wonderful?

I just like to think of it this way: I'm writing with the intention of other people reading it, someday, and if my readers are displeased, then I should fix it. They're the ones I'm doing it for, right? So even if my ego smarts a little, I know that it's ultimately improving my writing.

Long story short, "This is horrid because of x, x, and x" is infinitely more helpful than, "OMGAZ! I love it! Lol! Write more plz kthxbye!"
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

461 Reviews

Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:02 pm
GingerLizzy says...

Seriously.. Someone did once tell me to find a new hobby.

In fact, I shall name and shame; Incandescence on my poem "Rage of an Infantile Mind". His direct quote was;

"Either get serious about writing and read some decent poetry, or find a new hobby."

Surely this is just too harsh and uncalled for. I admit, the piece may not have been perfect, but to tell someone who enjoys writing to either 'get serious' or 'find another hobby', I believe that is just too far.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:40 pm
Firestarter says...

Well, actually, he didn't mean "get a new hobby" full stop. He meant either start to take your writing seriously (because from the poem he inferred a lack of effort, because poetry *is* something you need to take seriously and work a long time on -- not that I accuse you of anything) or find something else to do. This is harsh. But something harsh does not blanket the truth.

Almost every time I have been told to scrap something it has been the right thing to do. Just because you don't want something to be true-- you don't want your story to be bad, you don't want to go through all those edits, you want to take the easy route out and accept the praise and be happy -- doesn't mean these are true. The only way to become a writer is to take the criticism and soldier on. Writing is hard. Gruelling, even, to become good at it.

Never let anything like a critique discourage you from a writing, in the same way you should never let any other person discourage you from anything in life.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

461 Reviews

Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:43 pm
GingerLizzy says...

But if someone enjoys doing something, that doesn't mean they should be serious about what they are doing. I do wish to be serious about writing, but if I'm honest, I'm only 15 and I joined on here for a bit of fun and to show everyone my work.

I did not come on here for people to tell me that what I'm doing is all wrong and that if I don't take writing seriously, I should get a new hobby.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:47 pm
Firestarter says...

Unfortunately, that is the risk of sites like this.

In any free society, the conflict between social conformity and individual liberty is permanent, unresolvable, and necessary.
— Kathleen Norris