z

Young Writers Society

What Would Make YWS Easier To Use?

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:52 pm
Nate says...

Whence ->> Part of the problem with the '5 clicks' aspect you mentioned is that you're using the YWS Light template. Navigation is a little easier with the default template. Besides, just bookmark it!

Phorcys ->> There was a very good WYSIWYG editor that I tested out last week, but ultimately had to get rid of as there were significant problems with it. Other than the one I tested out, there's only one other for phpBB, and it's not very good.

AWritersFantasy ->> Claudette is absolutely right.

If I didn't mention your suggestion, then it's because I'm now working on it :P

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:17 am
Teague says...

Eh... I've never had any real beef with the site. It's actually pretty easy to use. =)

The only real annoyance I've ever had I resolved with my own means (it was a matter of which button I clicked... heh) so no suggestions from me!

Although I like the make-things-easier-to-crit idea. Even though I just usually quote the whole thing and delete what I don't have suggestions on. [/ramble]

Anyway, my point is that Nate, you've made an excellent and easy-to-use site. Props. :)

-St. Razorblade :pirate1:
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:42 pm
Swires says...

The Young Writers Society Forum Index » The Lounge

I would love it if we could have it like this:

The Young Writers Society Forum Index » Community >> The Lounge

and the same for usergroups and lit section.
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:45 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

I don't know whether it's a problem with my computer or not, but there are two things that are really beginning to annoy me:

1) Occasionally, I see posts, or I've made a post, where there is nothing there, and it just looks as though there is no post. Thi tends to happen when a post has been made which causes a new page to be created in the thread, and is the first post on the new page.

2) Whenever I go onto a topic with three or more pages, I can never go to the page just before the last, it always re-directs me to the homepage. For example, if there is a post with three pages, and I go to the last, then click "previous", it redirects me to the homepage. Again, if I go to the last page in a topic with four pages, and I click "previous", again it redirects me to the homepage, when all the other pages work as normal.

Is there something wrong with the site, or my computer?

Thanks,

-Kaz

EDIT: Turns out, for threads with more than three, I can't see any of the middle ones; just the first and the last. *sigh*
Last edited by Cpt. Smurf on Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:04 pm
Leja says...

(:high fives Phorcys:)

I've always had trouble in threads with lots of pages in them. There'll be the first four pages or so numbered at the bottom, then an ellipsis, then the last four pages or so: 1, 2, 3, 4, ... 98, 99, 100. But if I want to find page fifty or sixty, I have to go to page 98, then page 97, page 96, etc.; there's not page jump option. I think that a page jump button would be helpful, or something like: 1, 2, 3, 4... 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 98, 99, 100.

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:31 pm
Cade says...

I wish that there was some sort of tool I could use to go back and see all the posts since a certain date...if I go on vacation or just can't get on the internet for a while, there are quite a few posts to get back to when I finally do get back. Like...yesterday, my first time on the internet in a week or so. I didn't have enough time to look at 3000 posts or whatnot, and I would have liked to go back later and scroll through all those again, but of course when I sign back on later it only marks the posts since my last visit as new. It would've been easier to just type in "Show me all the posts since August 8th" or something.
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:50 pm
AWritersFantasy says...

I totally agree on the posts thing. It's kind of frustrating that you can visit the board one day and then not get to read everything so then you go back later and you still missed a lot of the posts you hadn't read all ready.

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:57 pm
Layleun says...

I don't like Fred *glares at pointless bot* Why is he there again?

What else....oh! When you post something, sometimes you can't always delete it. I noticed that you can only delete the last post in the topic. Maybe you could put a delete button up for all of the posts?

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:25 pm
Emerson says...

What else....oh! When you post something, sometimes you can't always delete it. I noticed that you can only delete the last post in the topic. Maybe you could put a delete button up for all of the posts?

Here is how that works: if you post a new thread, you can delete it so long as no one else has posted in it. If you have posted on a thread, you can delete that post up until someone posts after you. If you would like something other than those to be deleted, contact a moderator [like me!] or anyone else in dark green. You could also find the section mods (the light green people) and ask them.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:20 am
Nate says...

Well an update is in order for all for all of this...

Unfortunately, I will not be able to implement any of what you all suggested! It's not for a lack of good ideas (some of them are very, very good ideas), it's just the technical limitations of the programming itself as well as my own limitations in programming. I have expanded the quick reply box, which should make reviewing a little easier. But everything else will have to fall on the wayside. Sorry guys.

On the upside, I did just eat a bagel. That's something, right?

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:23 am
Emerson says...

Bagels are awesome =]
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

I exist as I am, that is enough
— Walt Whitman