z

Young Writers Society

Help decide on a usergroup!

Which usergroup should I make?

A Star Wars group for the general fandom
No votes
A plot bunny/dares/writing prompts usergroup
57%
Something else (see my reply to the thread)
No votes
Don't really care/doesn't matter to me
29%
I'd like to see both of those usergroups!
14%
Something else writing related (see my reply)
No votes

Total votes : 7

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:15 pm
AWritersFantasy says...

I tend to procrastinate about things as simple as this- getting a usergroup made that I would moderate. So here's a poll/discussion post. I've posted about this in the usergroups section all ready but haven't gotten a response, so...hopefully it's all right to sort of double post. I just figured the lounge would be a good place to post this.

I'd kind of like to start up a usergroup but am out of ideas on what to have it be for. I'd kind of like it to be writing related but there isn't anything I'm really an expert on that I'd be able to make a group for, and there isn't really anything left that I can think of to make one for. If anyone has any ideas, though, let me know.

My second/third option would be either a general Star Wars lovers group (possibly with a sub-forum for RPing, if people want it) or a usergroup for those who've read the Sevenwaters Trilogy books...but I'm not sure how many people've read that series.

Is there anything writing related people would like to see for a usergroup that there isn't one for all ready?

An option could be something for plot bunnies and dares. I would specifically want to make it for fantasy plot bunnies/dares, but others could be allowed too. So maybe either a generalized plot bunnies/dares group or a fantasy one...or maybe have a sub-forum for generalized ones? Or maybe it'd just be a writing prompt group, though I'm not very good at coming up with prompts. I dunno, it just popped in to my head.

How many people would be interested in the Star Wars usergroup?
How many people would be interested in a writing related usergroup, whatever I can think of?
How many people would be interested in a writing prompt usergroup?

I think that's about it...so, anyone have any ideas? :D

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:24 pm
Kylan says...

Hey there! I'd like to start a writing related usergroup. I'm actually advertising it right now. We could team up and be mods for the Suspence/thriller/action usergroup if you'd like...

Check it out!

-Kylan
"I am beginning to despair
and can see only two choices:
either go crazy or turn holy."

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

59 Reviews

Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:28 pm
AWritersFantasy says...

Eh, I'm not really in to the suspense/thriller part of that. I don't know how much help I'd be, if any. :|

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:41 pm
Griffinkeeper says...

If you don't know which usergroup to create, then don't create one at all. It seems your less interested in the group than in the power of being a usergroup moderator. This is the wrong way to approach any usergroup. If you want a place to talk about something, that's one thing, but if all you want is a usergroup to moderate, that's another thing altogether.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

59 Reviews

Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:51 pm
AWritersFantasy says...

Uh...what? That's not what I was intending at all. I want to moderate, yes, but I also want to create a usergroup that will be of actual interest to people, and I'm having trouble thinking of a good usergroup to make, which is why I'm asking for suggestions from others. Moderating is only a plus to the creation of the usergroup. I'd like to make a writing related one but can't think of a subject that doesn't all ready have a usergroup and that I actually have knowledge about. The more I think about it, though, the more appealing a Star Wars usergroup sounds to me right now, especially since I know a lot about Star Wars. I was never implying that all I want to do is moderate a usergroup, because that's not the case.

I just tend to procrastinate about small things like this and instead of just going ahead and saying "hey, I want a Star Wars usergroup!" I make posts like this where I try to get other people's opinions and find out what other people would like to see for a usergroup and how many people would be interested in the ideas I've come up with, which at the moment seem to be something writing related that I'm not sure about, writing prompts, or Star Wars.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:06 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

You don't have to create something that you know a lot about -- you just have to create a usergroup that has a subject you love as the main idea. If you're lucky, then people who know a lot about the subject will flock to your usergroup.

Um... as far as usergroups go, I would suggest a usergroup that discusses what makes poetry and such, if you're into it. I don't think Star Wars would be successful here, and I think we already have a writing prompts usergroup here: La Plume Noire. And we have a usergroup about plot too.

But really, if you want to create usergroups that have subjects that are already taken, you can always join several usergroups and actively participate inside of them. For instance, I don't think magicman would mind if you made a plot bunny thread or something in his forum.

So yeah. It's easier to just join a usergroup, or to refer writers to your own forum or your LJ community.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

59 Reviews

Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:15 pm
AWritersFantasy says...

The impression I've gotten is that there are quite a few of Star Wars fans here, myself included, which is why I thought of creating a usergroup for it. But no, I (un)fortunately cannot stand trying to write poetry, and I've read very little of it. I don't really mind if there's a small member base for a Star Wars group, just as long as there's enough to justify having a group for it at all.

I've all ready joined a number of usergroups and have been active in them, but I've been thinking about making a usergroup for a while and decided to try and get one made...I'm just not sure about the subject, since most of the writing related subjects are all ready being used.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:18 pm
Snoink says...

There are Star Wars fans, yes, but we already had several usergroups on very specific topics (HP and LOTR) which are somewhat dead, due to inactivity. It's not the lack of interest of talking about the subject, rather the lack of interest talking about the subject in a usergroup. If that makes sense.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

59 Reviews

Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:33 pm
AWritersFantasy says...

Mmm, yeah, it does. So basically it's one thing if a post is made discussing Star Wars and then it eventually ends, but it's another if there's a usergroup that constantly talks about it. So then it sounds like something talking about Broadway shows wouldn't work either.

I can't think of anything writing related that doesn't all ready have a usergroup and that I actually write.

What about something with like...a combination of helping with parts of people's writing that they're having trouble with (i.e. fighting scenes for me), dealing with writer's block, and incomplete ideas? Or would those things fall as sort of sub-categories under usergroups that all ready exist?

Or, via Snap:
snapthemagician (3:26:32 PM): what about an idea workshop?
snapthemagician (3:26:40 PM): i KNOW you're good at that, lol

So basically the things I listed above could be what the idea workshop is for? o.O Kinda?

It's Monday and you folks are beginning to wonder about the show, aren't you
— David Letterman