z

Young Writers Society

Writers Literary Agency = No! No!

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:46 am
Nate says...

Lately the Google Ads have been running ads for a company called the Writers Literary Agency. Duskglimmer has brought it to my attention that the company is a scam, and I have subsequently blocked the ads, although it will take a little while for the block to take effect.

Info from Writer's Beware:

NEW ALERT FROM WRITER BEWARE: Writers' Literary Agency & Marketing Company (formerly The Literary Agency Group)

The Literary Agency Group, a business owned or controlled by Robert M. Fletcher of Boca Raton, Florida, changed its name in February 2007 to Writers' Literary Agency & Marketing Company (a.k.a. WL Writers' Literary Agency).

This umbrella group includes or has included the following agencies:

* Christian Literary Agency
* New York Literary Agency
* Stylus Literary Agency (formerly ST Literary Agency, formerly Sydra-Techniques)
* WL Children's Agency (a.k.a. Children's Literary Agency)
* WL Poet's Agency (a.k.a. Poet's Literary Agency)
* WL Screenplay Agency (a.k.a. The Screenplay Agency)
* Writers' Literary & Publishing Services Company (the editing arm of the above-mentioned agencies)

Since this company began operating in 2001 under the name Sydra-Techniques, Writer Beware has received hundreds of complaints and advisories of fee-charging, editing referrals, and other questionable practices. We're not aware that the company has a significant track record of commercial book sales under any of its names, despite its claims to the contrary.

Writers who have had trouble with Robert M. Fletcher or any of the above-named companies, and who are or were residents of the state of Florida, please get in touch with Ann Crispin at anncrispin@aol.com (or beware@sfwa.org , if the AOL address bounces), even if you have previously contacted her. Please provide complete contact information.

Thanks for your cooperation!

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:48 am
Snoink says...

Would that be this link? http://www.wlwritersagency.com/
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:59 am
Nate says...

Snoink wrote:Would that be this link? http://www.wlwritersagency.com/

Indeed.

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:57 pm
Via says...

.......................and we didn't know this LAST NIGHT why?!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!??!?!

:evil:
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

376 Reviews

Reviews: 376
Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:07 pm
Trident says...

There's another one I believe. Whitmore publishing. And of course poetry.com.
Perception is everything.

694 Reviews

Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:11 pm
Via says...

poetry.com is a scam too? I know they don't actually publish things, but how are they doing something else?

376 Reviews

Reviews: 376
Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:15 pm
Trident says...

write me, type in poetry.com and scam into Google. You'll get a lot of hits, and explanations. They're a vanity publisher, which means they accept as many entries as they can, and then sell their books to those who submitted at outrageous prices. No one else buys these books but those who submitted.
Perception is everything.

694 Reviews

Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:21 pm
Via says...

Ah, gotcha.

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:34 pm
Sureal says...

As a rule of thumb, don't submit anything to any agent/publisher that advertise. Especially if they happen to advertise on the net.
I wrote the above just for you.

647 Reviews

Reviews: 647
Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:46 am
Alteran says...

I would like to add to this.

A publishing company called PublishAmerica is also not out for your best interest. They accept just about everything. Their contract is a slap in the face and they dont actually advertise or help you in any way. They POD(Publish on Demand) and bacause they dont help in advertisemnet there is never a demand.
"Maybe Senpai ate Yuka-tan's last bon-bon?"
----Stupei, Ace Defective

Pigeon poop is the best way to solve problems.
— Pompadour