497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:05 pm
Teague says...

No need to worry, Smurf! They refer to it as the alethiometer in the film. :D

(Hijacked from the film's IMDB page)

[from Trailer]
Lyra Belacqua: [upon receiving the alethiometer] What is this?
Master of Jordan: It's an alethiometer. It tells the truth. You are meant to have it. You keep the alethiometer to yourself, it's of the utmost importance to yourself, to all of us, and perhaps to all creation.
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:08 pm
SishBee says...

Hey, when refering to the book, call it The Northern Lights, given that is the books name.

Also, I thought that the author's own religous beliefs did not interfere at all with the book. You don'tsuppose he might have just thought of a good idea and written a story. I don't think his aim was to turn everyone atheists as I read all three when I was about... nine or ten, and my religous befiefs weren't affected so I think that people are jumping to conclusions. Perhaps it was just a good story?

:)

~SishBee~
x
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:15 pm
Teague says...

Well, the deal with the title is that it was released as The Golden Compass in the States.

And it's done by New Line Cinema, which is an American film studio.

P.S. People always jump to the wrong conclusions in books. That's why we have "Banned Book Week." -.-
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

647 Reviews

Reviews: 647
Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:39 pm
Alteran says...

Woo! I'm so excited to see this, it looks amazing. I could care less about the religious upheaval, it's just a movie.
"Maybe Senpai ate Yuka-tan's last bon-bon?"
----Stupei, Ace Defective

522 Reviews

Reviews: 522
Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:17 pm
canislupis says...

Uggghhhh... I really enjoyed reading the books, but from the trailer it looks like its going to be pretty bad and actionized. :D

I would strongly urge ANYONE who is going to see the movie to FIRST read the books, because my prediction is that they are going to ruin it with the movie. :D Just an opinion though......

I've read lots of reviews, and it sounds like their going to tone down the theme in the movie, but I didn't think it was such a big deal in the book..

And whats this about him being a atheist evangelical? :lol: In my opinion, you have to beleive in god to destroy him, so it doesn't make any sense......

87 Reviews

Reviews: 87
Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:26 pm
Perra says...

I'm planning to see the movie this Friday. I heard there are going to be protesters! ^-^ I wish to obtain a Golden Compass shirt to wear that night. :twisted: I'm a Christian, and I'll protest a cause that I believe doesn't make sense and was not thought through. But I'm seeing the movie because it looks good. I didn't know about this "anti-god", boycott the movie stuff until well after I saw my first preview. From what I hear, it's silly.
YWS gives me carpal tunnel.

Need a Critique?

Evil lurks everywhere, often in plain sight...Can you lurk in plain sight? Or is that just walking?

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:02 am
Snoink says...

Yeah, we know the book as "The Golden Compass." :P

And it wasn't HORRIBLE, but it was oh-so-preachy and a little grating, towards the end of the series. So yeah. :P
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:09 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Snoink wrote:Yeah, we know the book as "The Golden Compass." :P

And it wasn't HORRIBLE, but it was oh-so-preachy and a little grating, towards the end of the series. So yeah. :P

Yeah, it was getting very preachy towards the end.

And what is it with you Americans that you insist on changing the titles of every British book? (Slight over-exaggeration, but you know what I mean XD)
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:29 pm
Via says...

Um, there are armoured polar bears............that totally overtakes religion and makes it AWESOME!
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:31 pm
gyrfalcon says...

And I loved the book, but I hated the last two, so I'm hoping the movies improve on the books!

Totally with you here, Snoink. I think I can understand why there are protests, but I think they're silly. It's just lending credence to one man's (slightly ranting, let's face it) opinions, making them seem like something worth being protested, which I don't really feel they are (no offense to Pullman). I don't agree with him, heaven knows (no pun intended), but hey, at least the first book was really good, and I'm gonna go see it!
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

647 Reviews

Reviews: 647
Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:41 pm
Alteran says...

Me and my friends thought we might draw a pentagram on our foreheads if there is a protest at our theater. There is talk of some sort of boycott in my town. Idiots. I'm sure those fifty tickets from old people who dont go to the movies anyway is really going to damage their revenue.

Hurray for talking armoured Polar Bears!
"Maybe Senpai ate Yuka-tan's last bon-bon?"
----Stupei, Ace Defective

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:52 pm
jonny911 says...

I thought the last two books were an improvement over the first one! I'm dying to see the movie, though. The book makes my top three of awesomest books:

1. Amber Spyglass
2. Subtle Knife
3. Golden Compass!

I really hope there aren't protests at our theater. My can't people just let people that want to watch the movie watch! No one's forcing them to see it! And I'm a very strong Christian, and I felt the book really increaesed my religiousness!

Polar Bears rule!
"Son, what do you want to be when you grow up?"
"A felon!"
"Are you sure?"
"Yah! This kid at school says they get all the girls!"
"I should try that..."

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:55 pm
Dream Deep says...

I'm personally looking forward to the movie - hoping they don't butcher it, of course, but I loved the books and I'd be glad to see what New Line Cinema has done with it. ^_^

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:32 pm
gyrfalcon says...

The fact that it's New Line in the first place gives me high hopes, I hope these hopes of highness turn out as high as hoped...?????
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:07 am
Via says...

Protests for a movie. Sweet. Why isn't Harry Potter protested? Afterall, witchcraft is a satanist act!!! Haha.

No really, I hate protests because like 80% of the protesters have never read the book and are just going off what other people say, and another 10% are just there because their friends are. It's dumb.
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

"People should not be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
— V for Vendetta