z

Young Writers Society

The Golden Compass

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:19 am
Ava says...

I can't believe there hasn't been a topic about this in months. Anyway, is anyone else looking forward to it? Being a huge fan of the book I'm really psyched about it, and from what I've read/seen online it's looking amazing. Great cast too. Here's some links:

The official site (check out the comic con preview, it's great):
http://www.goldencompassmovie.com

It's page on IMDB:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0385752/

Any thoughts on it?
"Don't worry, you're just as sane as I am..."

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:40 pm
niteowl says...

I hate to burst your bubble, but in my experience, movies always suck compared to books. I, naturally, am going to re-read The Golden Compass prior to seeing it just so I can torture myself. I seem to enjoy that. Read my rant on Stardust in "Movies You've Seen in the Theater Recently" thread.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:23 pm
MadHatter says...

I really don't like the books, so I'm not excited at all.
Voldemort: You kids! If I ever find out who's calling I will tell the wizard law and you will go to wizard jail and then I'll kill you!

Harry Potter Puppet Pals - Wizard Swears

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:25 pm
Snoink says...

OMG. IT WILL BE AWESOME.

And I loved the book, but I hated the last two, so I'm hoping the movies improve on the books! :D
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:31 pm
Leja says...

I liked the first book! So I can't wait to see the movie. However, I haven't read these for five or six years, so maybe I have unrealistic expectations ^_^

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:39 pm
MadHatter says...

I'm going to see it, even though I hated the books. The concept was cool, but the author couldn't do it correctly.
Voldemort: You kids! If I ever find out who's calling I will tell the wizard law and you will go to wizard jail and then I'll kill you!

Harry Potter Puppet Pals - Wizard Swears

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:58 pm
Via says...

I'm and so excited to see this it's not even FUNNY!

*waits anxiously* Going Friday Night!
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:47 am
Cade says...

I think movies are always worse than the books, except in the case of LotR, which had exceptional movies...they may not have followed the books as well as I wanted them too, but they were incredible films.

I'm going to see it...you know what's really annoying though? All these loonies who are parading around going, "Don't let your children see this movie or read the books, because they're anti-GOD!"
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:54 am
Leja says...

If I remember correctly, it's pro-faith and anti-religious institution. To greatly simplify things, that is.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:57 am
Snoink says...

Well... to be fair...

[spoiler]...the author is a complete weirdo because, by the third book, he's being so obviously anti-God and anti-religion that it's annoying. I mean, yes, ranting is all right, but when your views start to conflict with the story, then something is WRONG. And yes, it did affect the story. The scene where God was revealed was stupid. Just stupid. So we're supposed to be mad at God when he's... dead???? Yeah. Nice going. NOT. Stupid, stupid, stupid...

And then, for some reason, the book started contradicting itself. Like the angels. They could fly, no? So why in God's name (no pun intended) would Lyra's parents be able to hold down that one angel? STUPID.

And the marzipan? I mean, individually it is okay, but when you apply those views TO THE WHOLE UNIVERSE, it's like...wtf? An experience with marzipan is enough to determine religion is stupid and thus should be gotten rid of religion? STUPID.

And basically, the anti-God views... ugh. So blatantly obvious. XP[/spoiler]

So yeah. I'm hoping that the rabid atheism from the later books gets toned down a lot. But the stories in themselves are fine, and I just can't wait!!!

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:58 am
Cade says...

I, too, thought it was pro-faith and anti-institution, but this woman whose letter to the editor was in the paper today was all, "It'll turn your children into ATHEISTS."

It really pissed me off. I sort of want to go up to her and just say, to really piss her off, that I'm an atheist because I read the Golden Compass. And then I will prance around and worship Satan or something.
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:01 am
Snoink says...

Yeah, but if you worship any higher being, I don't think you would be an atheist. XP

She might not know that though!

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:14 am
Minniax says...

There is a book? Cool =]
I'm not very sure on what it's about, but I saw it on a commercial and it looked pretty interesting! =]
I would like to see it.
Currently reading: The Dead Zone by Stephen King

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:45 am
Snoink says...

You should read the Golden Compass. It is an awesome book. :)

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:08 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

I'm still annoyed that they used the wrong title, but it doesn't bother me hugely - but I am annoyed that, from what I can gather in the trailer, they've changed the name of the alethiometer to the golden compass - that's just wrong.

Apart from that, they look great - I love the books, and I hope the films are going to be up to the same standard as LOTR.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

Prometheus, thief of light, giver of light, bound by the gods, must have been a book.
— Mark Z. Danielewski, House of Leaves