z

Young Writers Society

For Non-UK Members

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:12 pm
Elelel says...

She was pretty big in Australia, I think. I was 7 when she died. I can't say I knew a lot about famous people when I was 7. In fact, I only found out about her when she died. But I'm pretty sure she was in the media a fair bit.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:19 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Layleun wrote:Whales..... thats in England... Well I've heard her name before but never knew who she was. I don't know much about England so I'm no help aren't I?

You have no idea how much that amuses me :D I don't mean that in a nasty way, it's just Wales (not the mammal) is most certainly not in England (any more, at least), and I can just imagine the looks on the faces of all the Welsh Nationalists I know, and most certainly do not love, to hear that their beloved "nation" (it's actually a principality, hence Diana being the Princess) is thought to be in England. It is, however, one of the four constituent countries of the United Kingdom, which consists of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, and none of which are nations in their own right.

Anyway, to get back to the point, like most of you I was only about 5 when I heard she died, and that is my first memory of her. I remember being told over breakfast that a princess had died in a car crash. So, I don't remember her doing any of what she was loved for. As far as I know, though, the film "The Queen" is historically accurate, at least as far as public reaction to Diana's death and the Royal Family's actions surrounding it, although of course we have no idea what was going on with the Queen herself behind closed doors.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:48 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Nope. At least, not in my Far Away Corner of the U.S. :roll:

I've read some of her story in a Reader's Digest, and I wasn't all impressed. I think she was just being a doll for the media. :smt102 :smt108

EDIT: OH, and..."The Queen" was a good movie. :smt045
ohmeohmy

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:12 pm
Nate says...

Bubbles, you feel old!? I was 14 when she died! I remember it pretty well too because I thought it was weird at the time as I had visited family friends in Paris just two weeks prior.

There hasn't been much in the news (yet) about the tenth anniversary of Diana's death, but it was still big news over here in the States when it happened. She was well-regarded by the media, and there was a major sensation around it.

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:41 am
dele24 says...

Well I was ten when she died too. I did know of her before she died, I remember her hugging a girl who had AIDS in a suoermarket or somewhere, I think the girls name was Eva or Evie or something like that (but I wouldn't really know.) She was trying to get across the message that AIDS can't be transferred by touch.

Anyway like bubblewrapped said, it was a huge deal over here. I remember being in History class when I was fourteen and the teacher asked if we remember where we were when Diana died and I was about the only one that wasn't sure. But she is certainly in the media a lot even now.

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:21 am
logosgal says...

Yep, it's definitely been a big deal, both when it happened and on the anniversary. Like many people here, I don't remember hearing anything about her before she died, but I sure heard about her afterwards! I even saw video of the crash, I think, which is really unusual, because I didn't watch the news much when I was 7. :wink:
Anyway, I heard about it a whole lot for a long time after she died. I even remember having a teacher who was really bothered about it. Or maybe it was a Girl Scout leader. *shruggs* After the original hype died down, I hardly heard anything about it again until this year. Lately she's been in the news, on TV documentaries, on the cover of several really popular news magazines, including Reader's Digest, and on the cover of a special edition magazine I saw. (I think that was Time, but I'm not sure.) Plus a lot more, I bet, if I really paid much attention to this stuff... :P
...So, anyway, KazSmurf, yeah, I'd say she's pretty big outside the UK, too, though a lot of people my age and younger aren't really sure why she was so popular, except that she was a princess and she died.
Home is where the books are.

188 Reviews

Reviews: 188
Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:40 am
Evangelina says...

I love diana. She was just a beautiful person, inside and out. F***ng media :(
Break the boundaries, hunt the hunter, and leave me a tip.
----to kill or not to kill

Reviews: 4
Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:27 am
Common Sense says...

Evangelina wrote:I love diana. She was just a beautiful person, inside and out. Fckng media :(

What'd the media do? They weren't responsible

Yes, I'm talking about a conspiracy....
Truth Through Me

188 Reviews

Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:32 am
Evangelina says...

What did the media do? What they always do. Stalked her.

Well not exactly. But they made her want the driver to go faster. Some say the driver had a little too much to drink.

Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:34 am
Common Sense says...

Evangelina wrote:What did the media do? What they always do. Stalked her.

Well not exactly. But they made her want the driver to go faster. Some say the driver had a little too much to drink.

Well, there was a letter where she thought there was a plot to kill her, like I said conspiracy theories sorround her death....
Truth Through Me

188 Reviews

Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:36 am
Evangelina says...

Well...I suppose thats possible...royalty and all

79 Reviews

Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:12 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

There will always be conspiracy theories. Some people just can't let go. Like the father of her boyfriend at the time, who died instantly in the crash, is convinced the Queen ordered her death. It's ridiculous. They just can't accept that it was a tragic accident. If they want somebody to blame, they should blame the paparazzi who chased her and took photos as she lay dying in the wreck.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:37 pm
Common Sense says...

KazSmurf wrote:There will always be conspiracy theories. Some people just can't let go. Like the father of her boyfriend at the time, who died instantly in the crash, is convinced the Queen ordered her death. It's ridiculous. They just can't accept that it was a tragic accident. If they want somebody to blame, they should blame the paparazzi who chased her and took photos as she lay dying in the wreck.

Its not that simple, but if you want to continue blaming the paparazzi go ahead. I don't buy into that at all.
Truth Through Me

79 Reviews

Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:30 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

What do you 'buy into' then? Sure, the driver was also found to be drunk, so not all the blame can be put on the paps. But the fact is, they did chase her, and so the driver did speed up. That's it in its simplest form. And they did take photos of her as she lay dying, which we know about because there was a controversial documentary on TV not long ago which showed those photos. So what other sensible explanation is there?

~Stewie Griffin

Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:39 pm
Common Sense says...

KazSmurf wrote:What do you 'buy into' then? Sure, the driver was also found to be drunk, so not all the blame can be put on the paps. But the fact is, they did chase her, and so the driver did speed up. That's it in its simplest form. And they did take photos of her as she lay dying, which we know about because there was a controversial documentary on TV not long ago which showed those photos. So what other sensible explanation is there?

Well, as I said before. She wrote a letter expressing that she thought there was a plot to kill her in a crash. Its pretty interesting at what she thought like kill her so Charles could marry etc..
Truth Through Me

I don't think so alliyah, but don't quote me on that.
— TheBlueCat