z

Young Writers Society

For Non-UK Members

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:58 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

This year is the tenth anniversary of the death of Diana, Princess of Wales. There's been a load of media hype surrounding it all, and the Concert for Diana held on July 1, which would have been Diana's 46th birthday, was broadcasted in 140 different countries around the world, and watched by an estimated 500 million viewers. Over here, she's seen as a national treasure.

So, to get to the point, I was wondering how big was she outside of the UK? Was she prominent at all, in the media in other countries?
Last edited by Cpt. Smurf on Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:02 pm
Leja says...

Dude, I was like, seven years old when she died and I knew who she was. And when I was seven, I lived under a rock. Other than that, I was too young to notice very much in detail.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:06 pm
Areida says...

Yeah, same here. I remember my mother being absolutely devastated. She called my dad at the hospital where he works in the middle of the night to tell him to turn on the news.

I didn't really get who she was, but I was really sad when I saw William and Harry in the news.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

376 Reviews

Reviews: 376
Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:35 pm
Trident says...

It was a huge deal around here, I recall. I remember that she and Mother Theresa both died around the same time and they pretty much shadowed each other.

As for today, the name is still big and if you ask most people who she is, they'll know. I doubt you'll find too many memorials here. The news programs will cover it for sure.
Perception is everything.

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:36 pm
Teague says...

Er... I was four at the time she died. All I remember is that my dad got momentarily confused because he thought they meant my aunt Diana, his sister. And that was only because he caught a snippet of the news report and not the whole thing. xD

I also remember that it was a big to-do on the news. I think that most people know what happened but nothing over here will be as drastic as it is across the pond.
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:40 pm
Emerson says...

She's a pretty big deal, I would say. They talk about her a lot. I knew about her from my dad, we always talked about her. She's a big figure, and when ever its her birthday or the anniversary of her death, she's bound to be mentioned somewhere on the news.
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:35 pm
Cade says...

Oh, yeah, she's on the covers of magazines, featured on the news, etc. Yeah, I was six when she died, and it may be one of the earliest news stories in my memory. I think people over here sort of wanted to be part of it, because I guess everyone was really charmed by her...and the American media has really overblown it. I don't think people over here would care half as much if the media stopped talking about her.
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:05 pm
Via says...

Yea, I'd agree that she was prominent over in the states as well. I was nine when she died, and when I came home from school that day all we did was watch the news. However, I didn't know who she was until that day. There had been quite a lot of media hype in the states as of late too, mostly this new lifetime movie about it.
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:27 pm
Snoink says...

It was midnight when I first heard the news report that she died -- apparently, I heard it before the queen.

Anyway, she's a big deal and stuff. I think she was a darling of the media or something special like that.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:36 pm
Layleun says...

Whales..... thats in England... Well I've heard her name before but never knew who she was. I don't know much about England so I'm no help aren't I?

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:39 pm
nickelodeon says...

Okay, everytime i turned the radio on this summer (in light of the anniversary to-do) there was the same commercial about a Diana exhibit in a local museum. So apparently it's a big deal in the U.S too. (Personally, i didn't know much about her until i asked my mom recently.)
You don't stop laughing because you grow old. You grow old because you stop laughing.
-Michael Pritchard

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:09 am
LowKey says...

I think I was four when she died. When I was four, I was more concerned with Barney, Blue's Clues, and my barbies. But I remember my mom talking about her alot. I didn't really know who she was until I was six. When I was six we went into BN. There was a whole rack of books on her.

Now there's even more books coming out on her about her scandles and such. Others are simply biographical. But yeah, she was on the news for the whole first week of July.
Necropolis SB / Necropolis DT

Once was Dreamer, is now LowKey_Lyesmith.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:06 am
sabradan says...

It was bigger when she died, obviously, but of course the concert for Diana was broadcast here, and she was in and out of the media for a few days after.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:39 am
gyrfalcon says...

I remember, in the vague, child-like way I remember everything before my 15th birthday, hearing that a princess had died, and being sad. Beyond that, I knew/learned/heard very little of her until my family rented the movie "The Queen" from Blockbuster. Apparantly Diana's death had affected my parents to a degree, but my entire view of the issue has been almost exclusively influenced by that movie--sorry if it's incorrect!
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701
Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:27 am
bubblewrapped says...

It was a huge deal over here - that is, in New Zealand. I was about 10 when she died (god I feel old now) and I hadnt heard of her up until then (I lived under a mountain, not a rock LMAO - we didnt even have a TV!). My school did this big assembly thing and we had to sing Elton John's tribute song a while (a few months?) after she died. Now that I think about it, I do recall seeing some ads for docos on her life and stuff about the conspiracy theories re: her death recently too.

I personally have little to no knowledge about Diana and it's never meant much to me personally. But the media certainly loves her **rolls eyes**
Got a poem or short story you want me to critique?

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it. (C D Morley)

I don't think so alliyah, but don't quote me on that.
— TheBlueCat