z

Young Writers Society

The Simpsons Movie!

201 Reviews

Reviews: 201
Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:25 am
Flemzo says...

So, uh, I saw this little movie today called "The Simpsons Movie". All the critics and movie reviews say that the movie sucks because it came too late after the TV series had its heyday back in the mid- to late-90s. But what they don't realize is that the TV series has nothing to do with the movie (that I noticed... the only similarities were the characters, and the celebrity cameos).

I, for one, actually enjoyed the movie, enough that I was singing the Spider Pig theme song the whole day at work. Lucky for me, I was virtually alone, so no one had to deal with me singing about a stupid Spider Pig.

The movie was well done. The jokes were flying like Rodney Dangerfield one-liners: if you didn't laugh at one, the next one was right behind it, sure to get you. The basic plot is about pollution and stuff, and surprisingly, it wasn't preachy. Usually a topic like that screams "HEY YOU DIDN'T LISTEN TO AL GORE SO HERE WE GO TRYING TO CONVINCE YOU!!", but they pulled it off with incredible ease.

One of my favorite lines was when Lisa met a little Irish boy named Colin:

LISA: So, I was just wondering, is...
COLIN: No, my dad isn't Bono.
LISA: Really? Well I just thought, since you're Irish, and you care so much about the environment...
COLIN: MY DAD ISN'T BONO!

Classic.

Sight gags and one-liners aplenty, definitely a movie I would recommend. Hard core Simpsons fans might get more out of it than casual watchers, but it's sure to be fun for all.

Rated PG-13 for "irreverent humor throughout"... what does that even mean?

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:19 am
Firestarter says...

It was pretty funny. Not amazingly funny, but I didn't expect it to be. There were some great jokes in there.

Spider pig, Spider pig, does whatever a Spider pig does. Can he swing, from a web? No he can't, he's a pig. Looook out ... he's a Spider pig.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:09 am
tinny says...

I haven't seen it yet; but I'm supposed to tomorrow ^^

I want to see spider-pig! I've seen the clip! *sings*
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

418 Reviews

Reviews: 418
Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:48 pm
electricbluemonkey says...

They KILLED the Spider Pig joke in the commercials.

I'm still going to see it tomorrow though.
Gotta a find a woman be good to me,
Who won't hide my liquor, try to serve me tea.

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:16 pm
Teague says...

Spider pig, spider pig, does whatever a spider pig does...

Fantastic movie.

"Sequel?"
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:12 pm
Aet Lindling says...

Flemzo wrote:Rated PG-13 for "irreverent humor throughout"... what does that even mean?

What it means, is the worst PG-13 rating since Whale Rider for a brief glimpse of "drug paraphernalia".

Irreverent humor would be humor that could offend people's beliefs, ir=not, reverent=revering.

Example, Homer browsing frantically through the Bible. "It doesn't have any ANSWERS!!!!" Hahaha, it's funny, and how does that make it a PG-13? :P Ridiculous.

I mean, come on, if you're an easily offended, very strict Christian, you should know better than to go to the Simpsons Movie.
dun worry
it's all gun be k

418 Reviews

Reviews: 418
Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:27 am
electricbluemonkey says...

Well, they did show Bart's, umm...endowment.

Maybe that caused it's rating.
Gotta a find a woman be good to me,
Who won't hide my liquor, try to serve me tea.

201 Reviews

Reviews: 201
Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:34 am
Flemzo says...

I read a review in time that said it was rated PG-13 for "brief frontal nudity".

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:42 pm
Teague says...

But is that one thing really worth a PG-13 rating?

Besides, they did that particular scene, uh, tastefully at best.
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

116 Reviews

Reviews: 116
Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:33 pm
Maybe says...

I saw it the other day and i thought it was pretty good. It had me laughing. Spider pig, spider pig...
Be the cartoon heart. Light a fire, light a spark. Light a fire, flame in my heart. We'll run wild, we'll be glowing in the dark.

Reviews: 4
Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:25 pm
_Anti_ says...

I just saw it yesterday, and I thought it was OK, but not great. The Spiderpig song was ruined by the trailers showing it (catchy though) so when it came round it wasn't that funny anymore.

My favourite parts included Cletus walking into the "foolproof" barrier for the river, and Homer giving the finger when he got stuck in the sinkhole. :lol:

The first thing I do when I have a good quote is always to put a goat in it. uwu
— Liminality