z

Young Writers Society

Who has a job?

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:07 pm
Kylan says...

Just wondering what kind of summer jobs/afterschool work everyone here on YWS does. Might be interesting, get to know each other better, da?

Anyway, I do secretarial work at a defense attorney's office on Mondays, wednesdays, and fridays. I answer phone calls, file papers, blackball police reports. Yes, I know, exciting stuff. I'm only fifteen though, so I don't work a twenty hour week a normal sixteen+ would work. I'm only at the office about five or six hours/week.

How about you?

-Kylan
"I am beginning to despair
and can see only two choices:
either go crazy or turn holy."

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:10 pm
Emerson says...

I don't have a job XD

My mom is trying to push me to get a school year job now that I have my license, but my dad doesn't want me to, and my mom doesn't run my life really so... yeah.

I'll work next summer. I'd really like to work at a Borders but will probably end up at Walgreens since you have to be 18 to work at borders And I won't be 18 until mid summer.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:13 pm
tinny says...

I'm job hunting at the moment, but it seems a lot of places around here aren't hiring until September.

I sometimes help out at my church's coffee shop type cafe place, it's only small and usually only members of the congregation that turn up. But it's only voluntary, so it's not like I get paid or anything XD
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:21 pm
Areida says...

I work part-time from April till Labor Day in a drive-thru snow cone stand. My work schedule is really erratic, so I might work 25 hours one week, none the next, then 10 the week after that. It just depends how many shifts I'm assigned.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

381 Reviews

Reviews: 381
Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:21 pm
Fand says...

My summer job is actually an internship (a paying internship, thank deity) at the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). Yes, that one. Do not address complaints to me, as I'm basically relegated to editing privacy statements, making copies, and taking notes at meetings.

I work full-time; usually 40 hours a week, sometimes a bit over. #_#
Last edited by Fand on Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bitter Charlie :: Shady Grove, CA :: FreeRice (162,000/1,000,000)

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:26 pm
Firestarter says...

I left my job about a week ago =) I worked for 6 months at Borders book store, doing 37.5 hours a week. I've left working for a while, gladly.

I've just got my holiday in California to enjoy and then off to University in September.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

657 Reviews

Reviews: 657
Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:55 pm
Jennafina says...

I've got a job at a health food store. I work full time, but the hours are eratic, so sometimes I get several days off in a row.
Jennafina's Love Your Body Already Dammit Campaign

forum353.html

(To find out what it really is, just click.)

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:59 pm
Leja says...

*grumbles* No one would hire me. Doesn't help to live in an area oversaturated with students and not many businesses.

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:25 pm
View Likes
Sureal says...

I work in a small, quiet Blockbusters. Basically, I get paid to watch Family Guy and Scrubs in the back, and occasionally serve a customer (although Friday and Saturdays can get a little busy).

I also get ten free rentals a week... shame that there's nothing worth renting, though.
I wrote the above just for you.

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:15 pm
Teague says...

I WANT a job.

Unfortunately I'm too young. *sigh*
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

362 Reviews

Reviews: 362
Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:47 pm
Fishr says...

I work in a zoo, quite litteraly. Though some might prefer the term, pet store. While the rest of the staff works retail, my soul job is maintence and caring for all of the animals, which amounts to thirty different species of reptiles, birds, small animals, ranging from bunnies to hamsters. Then there's the F.W. fish and S.W. too. I've worked in the family own business, not mine, for seven years, and love it. :)
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:06 am
Sam says...

*drools over Jack's job* I can't get one at Barnes and Noble- which is only seven blocks away- until I turn sixteen.

But, now...I corn detassel. Child labor is rather a Nebraskan thing- we get on buses at four thirty in the morning and drive out to remote places and take tassels [read: cornflowers] off female plants, so that the corn can cross-pollinate and you can, er...eat. I don't know the purpose, exactly, but Claudette calls it 'raping corn'. XD

I only make minimum wage, but hey- it goes up to $5.85 here Tuesday. *dances about* Much better than bagging at the grocery store, as far as hours go. -_-
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:35 am
Kylan says...

Five-eighty five? That's outrageously low!! :D In Oregon, the min. wage is $7.80! But things in nebraska are probably cheaper so the lower wage is essentially the equivalent of the higher wage. Economics. I'll never understand them.

-Kylan
"I am beginning to despair
and can see only two choices:
either go crazy or turn holy."

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:59 am
Areida says...

I think I get a whopping six bucks an hour. Woo hoo. :P
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:10 am
Via says...

I'm the Specialty and Procurement Manager for a contracting company. 40hrs/week. $8/hour gross.

It's really kind of boring, and I don't really know what the title means. So far it's office slave. Procurement has many different, opposite, meanings...it's really kind of funny. I'm either "obtaining through special means" or "obtaining a prostitute" haha.

But mine isn't just a summer job, I'll work till I go back to school and then I'll work on breaks and such.
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

Knowledge is power.
— Francis Bacon