z

Young Writers Society

Who has a job?

376 Reviews

Reviews: 376
Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:33 pm
Trident says...

*Sigh* Yes, I have a job and that's why I'm hardly ever on here anymore. 40+ hrs/week waiting tables on rich people and their spoiled kids at a resort. I also do a lot of outdoor work there. Summer job only; I'm hoping to work at the library during the school year.
Perception is everything.

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:59 pm
Pushca says...

No job for me. Maybe next year.

I know someone who worked at A.C. Moore, quit, and got a job at the next store over. They asked him why he quit, and he said for the better commute.
"Nothing I could write would be as shocking and offensive as censorship itself." -Deb Caletti

Random avatar

Reviews: 61
Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:04 pm
BrokenSword says...

I have a part time job working on theater staff at my high school's theater, but since it is summer I haven't had to work over there right now.

201 Reviews

Reviews: 201
Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:47 pm
Flemzo says...

I work part-time at Three Eagles Communications, Inc.... more specifically, at stations 730 AM KWOA (news/farm radio), 95.1 FM The Eagle (classic rock), and 93.5 FM The Breeze ("80's, 90's, and today").

I've been there for three years, come August, and I do a lot of behind-the-scenes work, running the board during local sports games, downloading our weekend shows, and I DJ 7pm-midnight on Saturday and 10am-2pm on Sunday for the Breeze (however, you won't find me on the DJ list... sad, I know).

I make minimum wage ($6.15/hr), but it's all good. The only problems are people calling in to request songs that we don't play (which is usually rap/hip-hop or hard rock stuff) or my friends complaining to me about the music we play (as if I, as a part-timer, have any control over our programming).

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:04 pm
dele24 says...

I work part time at the Supermarket. I'm a Deli Chick (well you know, it goes with my name :)) or Delicatessan Assistant if you want my real title.

I get paid $11.44 an hour (don't worry, thats NZ currency, its not that much really) and its ok work. I would rather work in a library or bookstore though.

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:03 am
sabradan says...

Sam wrote:*drools over Jack's job* I can't get one at Barnes and Noble- which is only seven blocks away- until I turn sixteen.

But, now...I corn detassel. Child labor is rather a Nebraskan thing- we get on buses at four thirty in the morning and drive out to remote places and take tassels [read: cornflowers] off female plants, so that the corn can cross-pollinate and you can, er...eat. I don't know the purpose, exactly, but Claudette calls it 'raping corn'. XD

I only make minimum wage, but hey- it goes up to $5.85 here Tuesday. *dances about* Much better than bagging at the grocery store, as far as hours go. -_-

Ah, corn detassling. I remember that. I did that for a while when I was living in Carbondale. Ah, good ol' Illinois, land of corn and soy production, corrugated metal and well...everything thats made in the City.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

558 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 558
Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:00 pm
Matt Bellamy says...

I work at a supermarket, Sainsbury's, twelve hours a week for £5.72 an hour. I'm on the checkout's, it is snooze-a-licious.
Matt.

Got Tumblr? Me too! http://www.writersam.co.uk

Peeking Cat Poetry Magazine is accepting submissions! http://peekingcatpoetrymagazine.blogspot.co.uk

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:25 pm
Cassandra says...

I guess that most chain sort of places (read: Dunkin' Donuts, the grocery store) require you to be sixteen to work there. It's going to stink, because I won't be sixteen until the middle of next summer, by which time most summer jobs will probably be gone. :shock:

Anyway, this fall I'm working at a corn maze (The Amazing Maize Maze XD). That basically means I sell tickets, popcorn, and cider, I explain how the thing works, and...yeah. I've already spent two days this summer hoeing the corn and pulling it out to make the paths of the maze...yeah, farm labor stuff is NOT fun. But at least I'll have the money.
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

147 Reviews

Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:54 pm
sabradan says...

Cassandra wrote:I guess that most chain sort of places (read: Dunkin' Donuts, the grocery store) require you to be sixteen to work there. It's going to stink, because I won't be sixteen until the middle of next summer, by which time most summer jobs will probably be gone. :shock:

Anyway, this fall I'm working at a corn maze (The Amazing Maize Maze XD). That basically means I sell tickets, popcorn, and cider, I explain how the thing works, and...yeah. I've already spent two days this summer hoeing the corn and pulling it out to make the paths of the maze...yeah, farm labor stuff is NOT fun. But at least I'll have the money.

I dunno, I've done a lot worse jobs than farm labor. One of them was working in a deli, actually. I nearly jumped over the counter about 3 times a shift and beat peole within an inch of their lives with a salami. But yeah.

I currently work about 25-30 hours a week (4 hours a day) at a restaurant called Max and Ermas. Its a mid-west chain, nad if you're from Ohio, odds are you've been to one. Its not a bad/hard job, but sometimes it does get crazy. I don't get much n terms of paychecks...4.90 an hour. But I live on tips...and I'm pretty good at what I do, so I normally tend to get an average of 20% a table, which on like a friday night comes out usually to be roughly 70 or so bucks a night. CA-CHING!
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

Random avatar

Reviews: 20
Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:40 pm
KiteRide86 says...

I'm job hunting, as well. I had an interview with Pac Sun a week ago, but it didn't come through. It's probably good though. Iw ould have disliked that job in so many ways. I have an interview with the local library tomorrow! I hope that comes through cuz that's what I really want! I'm such a nerd, but what can i say? books are my passion!

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:17 pm
Lilith says...

I have a job write now doing matenence work for the town. Its pretty lame though sense i don't get paid much, i have no set hours, and its all physical work.

In an hour I have to go back to work and I think we're finishing the last three manholes in town. Thats right, I get to clean sewers. My boss piles the stuff into a five gallon bucket and i get to lift it and its contents up a hole. Plus there's roling up fire hoses after we're done with them and just stuff.

But besides sewers their mowing and tree trimming which isn't bad. I'm almost done with working this summer though cause of school. With volleyball, homework, and writing, I'm pretty busy and my parents don't like me writing so theres hiding my writing too.

Next summer though, my boss is offering me my job back and an almost 2 dollar raise. I only got minimum wage this summer which is like, 5.15 an hour. But he wants to get me to 7 dollars an hour if I come back. But i get in anywhere from 20 to 40 hours ever 2 weeks so with a raise, i'll be roling in books. :lol:
Duffy -- "Watch out for Jesse, he wants what he can't have."
Emily -- "Oh boy, he can have me."
Duffy -- "Figures..."

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:14 pm
Jules the jester says...

I got fired because of my slacker dumbass co-workers. I was waitering which drove me crazy and i felt like slapping people with my notebook sometimes or throwing hot tea into their eyes.

Some people are just too rude. I got £3.95 an hour plus tips.
Man:George look at this.
George: look at what?
Man: Ha made you look!
George: Idiot!

147 Reviews

Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:03 am
View Likes
sabradan says...

I've always wanted to say this, so bear with me:
Get a job, you lazy, pot-smoking hippies!

-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:32 am
Snoink says...

Math tutor. I work 10-15 hours a week and get $9.10 an hour. I could get more if I work independently, but oh well! :D
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

915 Reviews

Reviews: 915
Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:43 am
Incandescence says...

I'm a researcher at Baylor College of Medicine in conjunction with the Houston Museum of Natural Sciences. We work with dead things. I also teach freshman level calculus as a TA/RA, or whatever my scholarships require.

You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension: a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You’re moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas. You’ve just crossed over into… the Twilight Zone.
— Rod Serling