z

Young Writers Society

College

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:15 pm
Dream Deep says...

Well, I'm still technically in the process of finishing off the applications and chosing a uni, but I did notice the various detrimental aspects of not reading the fine print on the college admission requirements before I sent them my SAT scores and wasted $20.

[They only accepted students over 17, and I have the misfortune of being two years back.]

... not that the age problem is one you'll run into, but make sure you read everything, even the pages that don't apply, ask the questions that you would normally consider to have obvious answers. Make sure the decison you're making is an informed one, not merely the only one available, or the most convenient.

I'm left pining for my twenty dollars back. ^_~

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:16 pm
Leja says...

haha; I'm sorry for your loss. I will make sure to keep my magnifying glass handy.

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:50 am
sabradan says...

Fand wrote:1. Scholarships are your best friend.

2. So are comfort foods. Do what makes you feel good, because chances are you're going to get very stressed with the application process and whatnot. I know I was.

3. Don't be afraid to switch majors, or transfer schools. It can be a little messy, yeah, but what's a lifetime's worth of happiness--or at least a few years' worth--compared to a little more paperwork?

4. Make your own decisions. So your best friend hated this college; maybe it'll be perfect for you. Or your advisor doesn't think this'll be a good match--but when you set on campus, you fall in love. Listen to your own instincts (though use your head, too), not those of others.

This, coupled with some of Adams advice is the best advice you can get from us here.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:51 am
sabradan says...

Fand wrote:1. Scholarships are your best friend.

2. So are comfort foods. Do what makes you feel good, because chances are you're going to get very stressed with the application process and whatnot. I know I was.

3. Don't be afraid to switch majors, or transfer schools. It can be a little messy, yeah, but what's a lifetime's worth of happiness--or at least a few years' worth--compared to a little more paperwork?

4. Make your own decisions. So your best friend hated this college; maybe it'll be perfect for you. Or your advisor doesn't think this'll be a good match--but when you set on campus, you fall in love. Listen to your own instincts (though use your head, too), not those of others.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

196 Reviews

Reviews: 196
Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:46 am
Shriek says...

apply for any and EVERYTHING. scholarships, and just to schools. even if you think the chances are nil that you'll be going there, apply anyway. you might change your mind, they might give you a great financial package, anything could happen. also, take the SATS/ACTS as many times as you can -- high scores open doors, especially for scholarships.
i thought you were shallow, but then i fell in deep.

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:54 pm
Leja says...

high scores open doors

hehe, that should be the SAT's slogan :D
Thanks for the other advice too.

Random avatar

Reviews: 20
Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:35 pm
KiteRide86 says...

I was very nervous about college, but now I'm excited! I just visited my future college and it's amazing! I'm so thrilled to start my life out on my own! But yesterday I went to see the school counselor about getting ready for college. The application process and scholorship search seemed overwhelming. And I still have to take the SAT and ACT! Yikes! But it will be all worth it, in the end.

I suggest going in state and applying for as many scholarships as possible! Money is the key thing. You don't want to be in debt up to your eyeballs once your get out of college.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
— Someone Incredibly Noncommittal