z

Young Writers Society

Simple Squills Survey

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:30 am
Nate says...

I may turn this into an actual survey, but for now, this is just very informal. That is, with five issues of Squills now released, I have some questions before the September issue comes out.

1) How much do you read? The whole thing? A few articles? The announcements?

2) Do you try out any of the games on the Humo(u)r page?

3) Is there anything you would like to see in Squills?

4) Would you pay to have Squills delivered as a newsletter to your front door? If so, how much is too much?

5) Is there anything you don't like about Squills?

A note on question #4: I've tooled with the idea of mailing out Squills, and it wouldn't be too hard to do. Just wondering how many people would be interested.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:41 am
Emerson says...

1) How much do you read? The whole thing? A few articles? The announcements? I would say a few articles, but that isn't always true, sometimes I'll just skip one article because I don't particularly care, and then I might read it later.

2) Do you try out any of the games on the Humo(u)r page? No, but that is because I don't like "news paper" games much.

3) Is there anything you would like to see in Squills? Not that I can think of! I enjoy it a lot.

4) Would you pay to have Squills delivered as a newsletter to your front door? If so, how much is too much? I certainly would pay! although I'd want it to be more magazine size than it currently is. If you're going off of magazine prices I guess somewhere around $5 would be my top price, but I might pay $10, although I wouldn't buy it a lot. (per issue, I mean)

5) Is there anything you don't like about Squills? Hm. I wish it came in HTML form so that way I wouldn't have to mess with my reader program to look at it.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:32 am
Sam says...

1) How much do you read? The whole thing? A few articles? The announcements? If it looks interesting, I'll read an article. I'm that way with most magazines, though...I may only read one or two, depending on what I think I'll enjoy.

2) Do you try out any of the games on the Humo(u)r page? Nah. Like Claude, I'm not one for newspaper games.

3) Is there anything you would like to see in Squills? I think more writing-tips type things, and by different authors. I love the current Squills crew, but it'd be nice to see some fresh faces and opinions. It might also be kind of cool if we had people who wrote serials- you know, like Harper's Weekly used to be. Where Doyle and a whole slew of famous writers got their start. ^_^ Don't know who'd be up for it, though.

So, yeah. Basically more writing and writing tips in general.

4) Would you pay to have Squills delivered as a newsletter to your front door? If so, how much is too much? Probably not, unless it were a lot bigger. I don't know. I'm both lazy and broke. XD

5) Is there anything you don't like about Squills? It only comes out once a month! ...just kidding. Not really, I love Squills. I think it's a really good way to showcase things going on 'round YWS.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:48 am
LowKey says...

1) I read the whole thing. It's not very long, and all of it's good. Besides. Whenever you skip, you might be missing something.

2) YES! Well, not all. I like codes and puzzles, but am not so fond of crosswords.... Go figure that one. :D

3) Yes! My own work... Of course, it might help if I actually submitted something... :)

4)
Hmm... I've been spoiled to getting it for free. If there was suddenly a price on it, I would be grumpy. :x But I don't know. If it had more work (stories, poems, song lyrics...) I might pay. How about 99c an issue? How much I would pay would depend on how much it has. But yeah. I'm pretty sure I would pay.

5) Nope! :D[/b]
Necropolis SB / Necropolis DT

Once was Dreamer, is now LowKey_Lyesmith.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:50 am
Teague says...

I usually scan for something that catches my eye initially. I usually go back and read it throughout later on.

Not often.

Erm... I'm going to just agree with everything Sam said on this one. ^^

4) Would you pay to have Squills delivered as a newsletter to your front door? If so, how much is too much?

If it was made considerably bigger, I'd wheedle the 'rentals into it. I'd go for no more than $15.

I personally don't like the way it's laid out. Which is just my inner newspaper editor coming out. I'm really nitpicky about lining up articles and making everything look neat.
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:47 am
Snoink says...

Everything really, except for the repeated stuff (who does it, what YWS is, etc.) I like the articles best though.

Sometimes!

More works by people.

Oh dear... maybe. At the moment, it's much much much too small to make me want to pay for it, but maybe if it were bigger, I would consider it. $3 per episode is too much.

Um... let's use this space as constructive criticism?

I would like to showcase more works and stuff, and to do this I think that a group of people can look through the forums and finding exceptional pieces of work and then having them chosen to be on display for the adoring public to look at.

I don't like the word limit. I realize that there is only so much space for a newsletter, but short stories that are slightly more than the word count are shunned, and that's a shame.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:26 am
Shireling says...

I read all of it.

Usually I don't.

The serialized story idea is a good one. I might even be up to submitting one. What I would look for in a YWS 'zine is content that would help me improve as a writer and inspire me.

If more content were added I might consider subscribing to it, but I don't think I could go much higher than a few dollars per issue. However if you begin adding serialized stories and then make Squills for payment only I might be suckered into paying any amount just so I could finish the story.

What Snoink said sounds good.
Calling all Ringers, your presence is required at the Middangeared group...Please?

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:46 pm
Kylan says...

1.) I'd like to say I read the whole thing, but in reality, probably only 75% of it all.

2.) No. Never. Go figure.

3.) It would be nice if there were more writing tips and writing in general, like Sam said. Maybe not a serial story, but at least a short or two. Maybe have the squill staff 'talent search' for good short stories written that month and ask the writer for permission to be published? That would be nice: having it all random. Huh, I dunno. Somethin like that.

Just as a side note, I love the "Seen in the forums". Keep that up!

4.) EHhhh. I would probably pay $5 or so unless you really spiced it up. But I'm a tightwad to begin with, so... getting money from me will be difficult.

5.) Not really. Overall, it's a nice little newsletter.

-Kylan
"I am beginning to despair
and can see only two choices:
either go crazy or turn holy."

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:38 pm
Leja says...

I read everything, cover to cover!

No.

I'd like to see more of it. I read through it in five to ten minutes, then it's like, "now what?" whereas with even a small section of the newspaper, I take it with me and read it all day. Now I know that the size is heavily dependent on how much is submitted, and I shouldn't be talking because I haven't submitted anything yet. More direction for that part would be helpful. When it's "submit just about anything" it becomes "...okay, what does that mean?...". So if you say something like, "we need recepies for Key Lime Pie," I say "okay! I can do that!". Oh dear, this turned into a speil. Sorry.

I could not. Because that would involve putting my address out there. Not that I don't trust y'all/the site, but I don't. not that much. I'd think it should priced about the same as a magazine. Maybe a little less since it's smaller. But I don't know how much would cover printing and postage costs.

I'm gonna jump on the bandwagon and agree with Snoink. That would also be a lovely thing to add to my spiel in #3 ^_^

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:46 pm
Tyd says...

3) I dunno, perhaps get some interviews of published authors with tips and expierences that they can share with us? Possibly even any published authors who actually visited YWS?
As is a tale, so is life; not how long it is, but how good it is.

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:24 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

I make a point of reading the entire thing.

Not usually.

Not that I can think of. Perhaps more of what we already have?

No, more because of a hassle thing than anything else. Money just makes it so more confusing :P

Not really. I'm satisfied!
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

316 Reviews

Reviews: 316
Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:21 pm
whence says...

Nate wrote:
The whole thing, but in a fairly random order.

No.

I'd like to see it much larger. The 'Sticks' comic strip bit is nice, and I think that idea could be expanded to a full-page web-comic. 'The idea', here, referring to the idea of having a comic at all :p

Beyond that, I'd like to see discussions between members. That is, to say, an article / Q&A crossbreed that's basically a published discussion about something. I've seen these in other mags, and they can be used really effectively.

Yes, I would, but only if it was properly magazine-sized. And it would have to be decently priced: I'd say $40 for a year's subscription would be understandable.

Yes; the 'submit your work!' formula. As others have said, I think there should be a 'Talent Searching Screw' or whatever to scout out good shorts and poems, and then ask the author if they'd like said short or poem to be in Squillz. Which reminds me, I think that 's' should be a 'z'. :p

The good parts of a book may be only something a writer is lucky enough to overhear or it may be the wreck of his whole damn life — and one is as good as the other.
Ernest Hemingway

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:16 pm
Poor Imp says...

A: All of it, generally.

A: ...Sometimes.

3)Is there anything you would like to see in Squills?

A: More if it, naturally. Oy, and interviews - either of YWS members by them, or by YWS members of other writers/authors.

A: Oy, yes. Though that's assuming I have something to pay with - yes, at the moment. ^_^ Likely couldn't manage more than five or ten dollars, for now.

A: Only, possibly, layout, which seems sometimes to wandering or too cramped. That's rather nitpick though.

A note on question #4: I've tooled with the idea of mailing out Squills, and it wouldn't be too hard to do. Just wondering how many people would be interested.[/quote]
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

The most important thing is to have fun! Stress makes for distress and neither of those belong in writing!
— Kaia