z

Young Writers Society

Manga

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:45 pm
Leja says...

So I'm new to the world of manga. I picked up some random ones lying around my friend's house, and they were alright. The next logical step? Find another one I might like to read.

Accomplishing next logical step, however, is proving to be somewhat difficult. So I love Howl's Moving Castle (and, actually, almost all the rest of Miyazaki's films) and am looking for a similar genre (for lack of a better word) of manga to read. Anyone have any suggestions?

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:07 am
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

:attacks:

Fruits Basket! Fruits Basket is probably one of the more....gentle, I guess...mangas, good for starting off.

I'm not to keen on CLAMP, the group, but Angelic Layer was a cute series about "Battle Dolls".

Not that it's particularly in Miyazaki's league (who is?), but Rave Master I find quite amusing. Especially Nakajima, that big sunflower thing. It's action and weird, but in a funny way.

For a Miyazaki-ish movie, try "A Dog of Flanders", by Nippon Animation, I think...it's a sweetly sad movie. The people at wiki don't like it enough to have a page. a full page, anyhoo.

I'll think up more before long...

the site where I read the stuff you can't get at bookstores, like random chapters, is mangavolume.com
ohmeohmy

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:27 pm
tinny says...

I'd agree with Sumi about starting on a gentlw manga. I don't like Fruits Basket, but it's a good thing to start with I guess, I'd also recommend FLCL, it's two volumes long, and slightly surreal, but still quite sweet.

I started off reading Ranma 1/2 when I was 13, though I'm not really sure about what you'd think of it, there's a lot of gender-bending. You'd probably be best of looking at shoujo to start with, that's girls manga, though shounen is quite fun too ^^

*rambles*

Anime wise, I'd recommend The Cat Returns, it a Ghibli film, and my favourite. It's not by Miyazaki, but I seem to preffer the other directors to him. The Voices of a Distant Star, it's twenty minutes long because the director did everything but the music and voices all by himself. It's very very sweet. The Place Promised in our Early Days is by the same director, and longer. I have it on DVD but havn't gotten round to watching it yet XD

Aside from that, I'm not sure really, I tend to read violent obscure things. You could keep an eye out for what's popurla main-stream wise, that tends to be liked by most people, and Deathnote is enjoyed by a lot fo people who don't even like manga or anime.
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

164 Reviews

Reviews: 164
Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:57 pm
Poltergiest says...

NARUTO!!!

Yea!!!

~Pol
I used to rule the world, see it rise when I gave the word, now in the morning I sleep alone, sweep the streets I used to own

-Coldplay, Viva La Viva

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:00 pm
-KayJuran- says...

I'd recommend:

- Full Metal Panic. All three series of it.
- A I R
- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
- Death Note

Oh, except those are anime. They should be in manga too though.

Kay.
"There you go - sausages à la bread!" - Blue.

816 Reviews

Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:10 pm
Leja says...

Thanks all!

*scurries away to look up said titles*

280 Reviews

Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:55 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Poltergiest wrote:NARUTO!!!

Yea!!!

~Pol

Oh, God, no!

For the love of all that has pink hair, do NOT start with Naruto!

It really is a great series, but not something a newbie should get.

:whispers, "the harem technique!" and looks around nervously:
ohmeohmy

189 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:12 pm
tinny says...

:whispers, "the harem technique!" and looks around nervously:

*laughs* ahaha! good point XD

816 Reviews

Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:31 pm
Leja says...

*is confused* but that is quite alright.

EDIT: like, two hours after I posted, I turned on the television and what did I find? NARUTO! (which I had been thinking was nair-oo-toe, but apparently not :wink:) and much made very little sense to me, but oh well. It was cute, anyway. And I think the constant stream-of-thought is hilarious.

816 Reviews

Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:39 pm
Leja says...

-sorry for a double post-

So I now have in my hands "Scrapped Princess" by Ichio Sakaki [er, that's who wrote the story, anyway] on recommendation from the good people at Barnes and Nobles.

Coincidentally, the in-house, self-proclaimed "manga experts" at both Barnes and Nobles and Borders were off today, so I was recommended a recommendation. :I

Has anyone here read it?

189 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:14 pm
tinny says...

*checks the Wikipedia*

I think I've heard of it before, I've not looked at it in my local geek-shop so I don't know much about it. I guess it looks pretty good; I'm quite fond of steam-punk manga.

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:29 am
little.angelfire says...

If you're still looking for comic ideas...

Hot Gimmickby Miki Aihara I got addicted to. It was my second comic (after fruits basket) and, best yet, the series is finished so you don't have to wait around for them to come out! It's a very easy going comic and very much for those that into kinda romancy type story lines...I guess...

I'd have to dissagree with the clamp comment. Chobits was a very good series. I also like Legal Drug, but they seem to have stopped with the series...

um...*checks all 1008 comics*...I'm such a dweeb...I've been looking at what's on the shelves at book stores, and I really haven't seen many lately. I hate it, I'm having withdrawls...Good luck with your manga search!
Climb inside my belly button beanbag plastic world!

280 Reviews

Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:34 am
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

AmeliaOliver wrote:*is confused* but that is quite alright.

EDIT: like, two hours after I posted, I turned on the television and what did I find? NARUTO! (which I had been thinking was nair-oo-toe, but apparently not :wink:) and much made very little sense to me, but oh well. It was cute, anyway. And I think the constant stream-of-thought is hilarious.

Stream of thought....? :confuzzled:

Nah-Rue-Toe! xD

Why does everybody who doesn't understand the storyline pronounce it nairootoe? :lol:
ohmeohmy

250 Reviews

Reviews: 250
Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:09 pm
Night Mistress says...

I know this is a childish, but i suggest:

Salior Moon

and my more mature suggest:

Jueville orion.
"I love you," she whispered in his ear, before taking his mouth with her own.

~Elizzabeth Grey of Addicting Posion

164 Reviews

Reviews: 164
Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:28 pm
Poltergiest says...

NARUTO!!!!!!! Yea, Naruto. Just about my favorite. And also bleach. Lots of action in the two. Okay, thats it.

~Pol
I used to rule the world, see it rise when I gave the word, now in the morning I sleep alone, sweep the streets I used to own

-Coldplay, Viva La Viva

the world (me) cries out for salvation (snacks)
— creaturefeature