z

Young Writers Society

Harry Potter 5

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:57 am
Pushca says...

So... whatdya think? I nearly died of boredom.
"Nothing I could write would be as shocking and offensive as censorship itself." -Deb Caletti

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:18 am
Loranys Gellantara says...

Well I haven't seen it yet going tonight I think but I work at a cinema and everyone says it's excellent! Some have said its really scary but they are young teenage girls so you get that huh.
I'm only laughing on the outside. My smile is just skin deep. If you could see inside I'm really crying

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:14 am
Tyd says...

Didn't like it much either; real let down to be honest. I enjoyed it, but i thought it'd be sooo much better. I liked how they incoorporated Ginny into it, kept on cutting to her little looks at Harry when he and cho were together :p
As is a tale, so is life; not how long it is, but how good it is.

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:22 am
Prokaryote says...

Pretty good. Naturally, nowhere near as good as I would want it to be, but it couldn't be done. 800+ pages into a two hour movie? It doesn't work well. :(

The atmosphere was well-done, I thought. Very dark and ominous.

But yeah, considering the time constraints, they did an admirable job. It was my favorite Potter movie alongside the third.

Prokaryote
Last edited by Prokaryote on Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:30 am
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Meh, 2/5

Mostly for good SE, Luna and Umbridge. :P
ohmeohmy

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:33 am
Black Ghost says...

Thought it was a little dissapointing as well.

Loved Umbridge though. :P

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:05 am
Layleun says...

I LOVED it. If only the people could make a long movie with everything in the book *sighs* Oh well I would probably be the only one sitting through it. i agree with Prokaryote, the fifth and third are my favorites. Poor Sirius! I miss him so. He's my favorite character ever! Oh well someone had to go.

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:31 am
Loranys Gellantara says...

I liked it but it was a bit boring. It went along with the book a bit too much and definately could have gone for longer. I can see what my friend meant when she got out of the cinema. I didn't wait to see the ending coz i was tired and the rest was boring.
I'm only laughing on the outside. My smile is just skin deep. If you could see inside I'm really crying

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:35 pm
Cade says...

Ugh. It wasn't completely disappointing, but I was really upset at a lot of the stuff they changed. The only parts I liked were Luna and Bellatrix. Both roles were done really well.

Umbridge was okay but they focused more on her individual nastiness than on her role as a part of the Ministry that's trying to brainwash people.

Fred and George's chaos-and-escape thing was really disappointing. It was just like...fly in, throw some firecrackers in the air, fly off. I expected something much more spectacular.

I have always disliked Gary Oldman as Sirius and I'm rather pleased we won't be seeing a lot of him now that Sirius is dead. I thought he played the part of Sirius horribly.

A lot of people have complimented the special effects, but I thought they were overdone. And what's with the Death Eaters being like half dementor and flying and stuff in the Department of Mysteries? That was so bizarre.

The possession scene was awful. Completely. Awful. I wanted to cry.

Also, the kissing part was way overdone. No one's first kiss is that choreographed.

They dropped way too many Ron-Hermione hints.
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:01 pm
gyrfalcon says...

Personally, I REALLY enjoyed it. The 5th book is perhaps my least favorite (besides the 4th), so I wasn't expecting much, but in my opinion they made exactly the right choices with what to cut and what to keep. Luna and Umbridge were, of course, magnificent, and I appreciated that, while this one was obviously darker than the previous ones, it wasn't all depressing "gloom-and-doom" like the book was. 5/5 for me!
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:09 am
Leja says...

Oh my goodness, it was a complete massacre of the books and, at times, the general storyline. They're writing themselves into a corner, in my opinion.

The way Hermione is portrayed in this movie bugs me incessantly. She is so unlike herself. A little too... girly, and too ready to break the rules.

I think that Ron/Rupert Grint is wonderful. I think he's consistantly the best of the main cast of characters [Minerva McGonagal--sorry, just messed up the name--is another one of the best in this category], and I think he is often overlooked in favor of Harry/Daniel Radcliff.

And while we're on the subject of Daniel Radcliff, I can't stand his dialogue. It always sounds a)like he's just run a 5k or b) he's perpetually in an argument with someone [which, grated, he is much of the time, but not all of the time].

Michael Gambon [Dumbledore] still has not, quite obviously, read any of the books. He has no idea of what Dumbledore should be like, and I percieve him as rather stuck up.

I was kinda disappointed that there wasn't any mention of quiddich. Though I guess if something had to go, quiddich is as good a thing as any.

However, the sets are gorgeous as always, especially the department of mysteries, and especially the hall of prophesies; Luna was portrayed perfectly; special effects like the thestrals were cool. *grumbles at the redeeming qualities*

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:14 am
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Has anyone else noted that Dumbledore wears the SAME outfit, Azkaban through Order? And that STUPID beard holder! I hate that outfit with a burning passion!

:laughs crazily:
ohmeohmy

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:18 am
Leja says...

Well, anything involving that actor makes me furious, so I'll second your crazy laugh!

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:19 am
Firestarter says...

I was looking forward to the end through the whole film and then it goes weird and everyone is flying about. I really hate how they portrayed the magic in that. Either they're flying around like misty dementors or standing in front of each other doing spells that just explode stuff. It was so badly done.

Luna and Umbridge were good. Fred and George sucked, they've always sucked in the movies, and their exit was a bit ... bleurgh. The DA was done brilliantly, though. There's no real complaints about all that. The problem as everybody knows is there was far too much material to fit into a two hour film, and it suffered because of it. That said, they did pretty well considering.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

96 Reviews

Reviews: 96
Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:46 pm
flytodreams says...

I haven't watched it yet, but my enthusiasm is being dampened...by reading some of these posts.

Just joking, :D. It's coming out in cinemas on July 19th here. (Only two days awayyy!!!)
Be yourself; everybody else is already taken.

I came, I saw, I conquered.

When you're being nice to your character, you're being bad to your book.

If we choose, we can live in a world of comforting illusion.
— Noam Chomsky