z

Young Writers Society

Harry Potter 5

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:23 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

I saw it last night. It was alright, but the whole Harryness of it was irritating me a little bit. There was just soo much of him. The interesting characters (McGonagall, Snape, Bellatrix, Tonks, Lucius Malfoy, etc.) were just given fleeting glimpses.

The beginning was awful. The Dudley actor was terrible, it looked like they'd just pulled some random fat kid off the street. The dementors - why change them? Why take away their cloaks? Decisions that didn't work.

The DA part was fairly good, as was the Umbridge sections. I liked how they made Cho innocent at the end, although that does cause some problems - we would expect Cho and Harry to get back together after that. I thought the Ministry invading Hogwarts theme was well done, and the thestrals were good.

The battle at the ministry at the end though. The Ministry itself looked good, but what the hell was all that about the smoky Death Eaters? And the black and white 'smoke' for the two sides - cliche to the core. The Dumbledore/Voldemort fight was interesting, and I think the Sirius death scene was well done - although perhaps I was just pleased to see the Gary Oldman Sirius fall through the veil.

Also, they made so much fuss about who was gonna play young James/Snape/Sirius etc., and they're barely given 30 seconds screen time.

Good actors - Helena Bonham-Carter: very good as Bellatrix, she wasn't in it nearly enough (I know she's not hugely prominent in the book, but they could have included her a little more at the end); Ralph Viennes(sp): a brilliant Voldemort, again; Evanna Lynch: a hilarious Luna; Jason Isaacs: good, as usual, as Malfoy Snr; Imelda Staunton: a very convincing Umbridge. Also, Michael Gambon, Maggie Smith, Alan Rickman, and Emma Thompson, although not given enough time on screen.

Bad Actors - Daniel Radcliffe: sure, he's improved, but he can be guilty of over-acting - a lot. He did get better towards the end; Emma Watson: the script wasn't good for her, and she seems to have taken a few steps back acting-wise, although, again, she improved as the film went on; Harry Melling: Dudley - urgh. His acting was awful, I was cringing throughout the whole Dursley segment; Devon Murray: was a bit wooden as Seamus.

All-in-all, I did enjoy it, although the better characters were not given enough screen time, and the decision to adapt the longest book into the shortest film did not work.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:23 pm
The Jesseble says...

I have to say that OotP was definately the best of the films so far. The 'cheese' was getting to me, probably part of getting old I suppose :P

I've seen it twice now, partly because the first time was ruined by some over-chatty and over-enthusiatic girls in front of me. I was muttering 'crucio' all the way through wishing that it would work hehe.

Anyway, to the finer points. I think that Luna was very well played by Evanna Lynch, a good choice from the thousands at the auditions. It shows that the casting do know what they're doing.

But why oh why is Michael Gambon still playing Dumbledore? He is too up-tight...but then it does show the difference between the Dumbledore in the first book (and film played by Richard Harris, who sadly passed away after making the second film) and the Dumbledore in the fourth book and on wards.

Daniel Radcliffe in the possession scene! My god that was incredible. I think that was best part in the whole film. So emotional and intense! Just a fight between love and power and i think it was magnificent.

Why did priori incantatem (sp?) take place in the battle between Voldemort and Dumbledore? There's me thinking that the wands had to have identical cores...ah but then because Dumbledore is Fawkes' owner so perhaps that gives him the magic of a phoenix or something along those lines XD

Imelda Staunton was the cherry on top of the cake (not literally *gets image of Ms Staunton on a cake dressed as a cherry*)

All in all, thoroughly enjoyed.

Tj
***The Jesseble***

Cheese Hat

79 Reviews

Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:56 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

I don't think it was Priori Incantatem, but just a dramatic way for the two to fight. I liked that bit - and how they gave the fight a slightly more original touch than it could have had: Voldy's (bad) wand-light was blue, whereas Dumbledore's (good) was red. That's a teensy bit sad of me to notice, but what the hell!
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

Reviews: 3
Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:13 pm
FreedomSeeker124 says...

I do enjoy it though as a matter of fact. I got to see it July 11 at Midnight...first one!!! It was really good. Disapointing when they cut the prefects part out. Hermione and Ron not suppose to be w/ Harry on the train. I also think they put alot of joke into this movie than any other so far. I disapointed about Sirius's Death. It suppose to be way more DRAMATIC than that. The one in the movie is really nothing. Just fell and die. The encounter w/ Dementors ....ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

[spoiler] RIP. Serius, Lupin, Tonks, Mad-Eye, Hedwig, Fred, Collin, Dobbie, Dumbledore, Snape. [/spoiler]
Expecto Patronum!
Patronus, I choose you.
[ I'm not a Native Speaker so Excuse my Grammar but any tips of it would be great! I know I really need it. ]

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:27 pm
ennui says...

Poor Kreacher didn't get nearly enough screen time as I would've liked. They could've done a lot more with his character, but instead they just breeze over him. I was pretty disappointed, especially after they had worked so hard on introducing Dobby.

This may seem biased (she's my favorite character) but I wished Bellatrix had more scenes as well. She's not really present throughout the books, but she could've had more time at the end.

The whole Harry-is-possessed-by-Voldemort scene at the end was slightly.. odd. The fragmented images, the strange music, and Harry professing his pity over the Dark Lord.. well, I just thought that it was too much and detracted from the already existing drama.

Oh and Sirius's death! Where was the justice?

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:33 am
Pushca says...

The possession seen was so bad. Just so very, very bad. KazSmurf said it perfectly, about the Harry-ness. Snape, McGonagall, and Bellatrix were the best characters, and they and Kreacher should have been given more screen time.
"Nothing I could write would be as shocking and offensive as censorship itself." -Deb Caletti

116 Reviews

Reviews: 116
Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:48 am
Maybe says...

Meh, not bad. The ending was pretty good. Loved Luna and Umbridge. Awesome.
Be the cartoon heart. Light a fire, light a spark. Light a fire, flame in my heart. We'll run wild, we'll be glowing in the dark.

571 Reviews

Reviews: 571
Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:00 pm
Esmé says...

... okay, so this is a way far-back-off subject, but I just wanted to say that the movie was indeed horrible. To me, at least. Harry - I won't comment on Harry, he was the worst. Dumbledore didn't turn out too good. Ron - Ron was weird, and Hermione? As with the rest, I didn't really like her acting.

The fight at the ministry, however, I think was quite good. I loved Bellatrix - she was awesome. Voldemort was cool just because of his looks ;) An Luna - Luna was brilliant, I loved her. Umbridge was good, too, but that's all.

The rest was terrible :( Anyway, what I wanted to say to you all is that at least you guys got to watch it it in English and wayy sooner than I did. In Poland it was in theatres a bit later, and the dubbing... It was because of the dubbing, I think, that I have all these negative things to say. The dubbing. Oh, my god. No voices matched, seriously, and it lost me when Harry spoke with Hermione's ever-so-girlish voice. The only good voice was Dumbledore (and that's another story, since I didn't like the acting), Luna, Umbridge and Bellatrix. Harry's, Ron's, Hermione's - again, no comment.

Dubbings suck.

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:52 am
Tessitore says...

I thought it was... great.

Really hated the way they pronounced "Lestrange", but otherwise loved the casting.

Yes, it was long. Yes, it had its dry spots, but personally... compared to the others... I thought it rocked.
I'm not even angry... I'm being so sincere right now.
Even though you broke my heart.
And killed me... And tore me to pieces.
And threw every piece into a fire.
-"Still Alive"- GLaDOS

79 Reviews

Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:41 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Lestrange... They pronounced it the same way I've always pronounced it, and the same way Rowling pronounces it when she does readings... *shrugs*

~Stewie Griffin

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:26 pm
Tessitore says...

I'm used to the Jim Dale audiobooks, which pronounce it "Le-straw-eng". Kinda French-sounding. "Strange" just sounds too... I dunno, cheesy. Cliche. A little bit.
I'm not even angry... I'm being so sincere right now.
Even though you broke my heart.
And killed me... And tore me to pieces.
And threw every piece into a fire.
-"Still Alive"- GLaDOS

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:51 pm
BellaLuna says...

Tessitore wrote:I'm used to the Jim Dale audiobooks, which pronounce it "Le-straw-eng". Kinda French-sounding. "Strange" just sounds too... I dunno, cheesy. Cliche. A little bit.

That's how I was pronouncing it! So when I saw the movie, I was thinking, "Erm...is that really how it's supposed to sound?" It just sounded...well, strange. :lol:

Anyway, I thought the movie was amazing. OotP and PoA are my favorites so far. The Hall of Prophecies scene and the fight scene between Dumbledore and Voldemort...wow! I loved them.

79 Reviews

Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:56 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

BellaLuna wrote:It just sounded...well, strange.

Or, you might say, Le-strange....

ROFL

Ahem. Sorry :P

~Stewie Griffin

713 Reviews

Reviews: 713
Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:26 am
BigBadBear says...

I don't know what you guys are smoking, but this movie rocked!

Yeah, they could have made it longer, but the fight scene with Voldymort and Dumblydore was cool. Have any of you guys played like the xbox game? That was stupid! Anyway, I loved the movie!

And the third movie was so stupid. I hated it. The best would have to be in this order:

1. 5th
2 1st
3. 4th
4. 2nd
5. 3rd.

Anyone have any questions, then bite me! jk!
Just write -- the rest of life will follow.

Would love help on this.

The adjective should reinvent the noun.
— Leslie Norris