z

Young Writers Society

Reality TV is Poison

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:38 pm
Fabien says...

People have forgotten to use their imagination; all they do is turn on the telly and all hope is lost. The pictures constantly changes, action, drama, comedy, characters laugh, play, joke, fight, screw. Your eyes become fixed, glued as your mind peters out, wiping all creative thought process that once was. It vegetates as you do. This is the too true and terrible world which is the idiot box sitting in your living room.

I don't need the TV in Reality TV.
Last edited by Fabien on Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:46 pm
Emerson says...

Fabie, what should I be discussing...?

We don't have televisions in our rooms, only in the living room. I rarely watch TV unless there is something specific I plan to watch, no channel surfing. TV shows I'm addicted to, Comedy shows, documentaries, old movies, those things. Of course, with me, whenever I see something I tend to make the comment, "I wish that were a book; I bet it would be really good to read." So you can see where my thoughts lie :lol:
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:41 pm
Black Ghost says...

Yeah, can you clarify what the discussion is exactly?

As for me, I don't watch much tv. anymore, and yes, I tend to imagine good shows or movies in book form like Claudette, which means my brain is still working. See, I'm not being sucked in!

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:33 am
Sam says...

I actually quite like watching TV- not reality shows, mind- but different things. Colbert Report, The Office, Ouran High...all quite clever in my opinion, and one's in a different language.

You get some good ideas from television done with good writing. Some of my favorite writers do screenplays- Tina Fey is one I could name off the top of my head. Just because it's not straight prose doesn't mean that it's not artful or some how not on the same level as a novelist's.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:37 am
Rydia says...

I'm not fond of reality shows but TV? I love it! I couldn't live without some of my favourite programs and I don't think it's damaged my imagination.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:04 am
chocoholic says...

I could not live without TV. I'm not a big fan of reality TV, but I love The Simpsons, Futarama, Family Guy and Doctor Who.

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:16 am
Black Ghost says...

I actually a good dose of television can be helpful. For example, whenever I watch television I always mentally break down elements of plot that I notice, and it helps me to better shape my own stories.

Just a thought.

-Tony

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:29 pm
Alainna says...

I do more reading than I do watching TV but there are certain boosts of comedy and music that I can't live without....

Re-runs of Friends. Then there's Scrubs, Whose Line Is It Anyway?, The Friday Night Project and films. And the music channels (although MTV isn't really my cup of tea..).

I don't watch TV religiously...only when I'm bored, which isn't often.

Alainna
xxxxxx
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:45 pm
fothi says...

I think that if I didn't have LOST, I would..

I don't even know what I'd do.

I think reality shows can be really, really funny, too.

But LOST... I love LOST.
~Faith T

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701
Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:10 am
bubblewrapped says...

I love TV. **hugs TV set** Seriously, most of the shows arent that great, and I generally prefer a book, but I do get hooked on some - e.g. Spooks, Medium, House, Prison Break, 24, CSI (except CSI Miami, which sucks)...I like it because it helps me to unwind after a long day. Plus I often get inspiration for stories/characters/plots and if I hear some terrible dialogue or can guess who the killer is, it starts me off wondering how I would have done it better. So TV is an exercise in imagination, if you use it right :D It's also a good way to keep in touch with culture. I grew up without a TV except for a week or two every Christmas holidays, so I know what I'm talking about when I say that having no TV may make you more creative/better educated/have a longer attention span/all those things they claim but it sure does nothing for your social literacy, as it were. Would you believe I'd never heard of Pokemon until about five years after it took off?

I will say that Reality TV is really, really, really awful though. I've only seen small segments, and the ads for Survivor and whatnot, but I hate them. Most people I know hate them too. And gameshows. Ergh. And stuff like America's Next Top Model, and so on. I never could watch that sort of thing.
Got a poem or short story you want me to critique?

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it. (C D Morley)

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:36 am
Snoink says...

*moved to Lounge*
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

I support the shrek message.
— MiniGem26