z

Young Writers Society

Gordon Brown, Prime Minister, promises change

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:53 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Gordon Brown promised Britain a "new Government with new priorities" when he became Prime Minister this afternoon.

Arriving in Downing Street after accepting the Queen's invitation to form a Government, the man who has stood in the shadow of Tony Blair for 13 years, first in reforming the Labour party, then in office, said that he would bring change to the country and invite talented people from across the political divide to help him.

"Now let the work of change begin," said Mr Brown.

The focus of national attention finally fell squarely on Mr Brown, who, at 56, is two years older than Mr Blair, when he emerged from Buckingham Palace just before three o'clock this afternoon as Britain's 52nd Prime Minister.

Five minutes later, he climbed out of the Prime Minister's armour-plated car with his wife, Sarah, and spoke his first words to the British public as their leader.

"I have just accepted the invitation of Her Majesty the Queen to form a Government," he said. "This will be a new Government with new priorities and I have been privileged to have been granted the great opportunity to serve my country."

"At all times I will be strong in purpose, steadfast in will and resolute in action in the service of what matters most to the British people: meeting the concerns and aspirations of the whole country... I want the best of chances for everyone, that is my mission."

The Times Online

Rest of Article
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:51 pm
Jules the jester says...

I hope he is better than Blair. And hopefully he wont follow Bush like a puppy, but i suppose that wont change much will it?

I know we are allies but c'mon the war in Iraq????
Man:George look at this.
George: look at what?
Man: Ha made you look!
George: Idiot!

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:00 pm
Pushca says...

We can only hope he isn't Bush's lapdog.

Gah. I hate that man. (Bush)

Eddie Murphy said something like: I don't believe in any of this rock the boat stuff. When I vote, it's which foot is gonna kick me in the ass.

After Iraq, I don't think England will follow America as blindly again. But people are generally morons and politicians are generally scum. This explains much of the government, yes?
"Nothing I could write would be as shocking and offensive as censorship itself." -Deb Caletti

79 Reviews

Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:00 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

I don't think he is going to follow in Tony's footsteps, and follow Bush blindly. But, at the same time, I very much doubt that he will survive the next general election. 'Tis David Cameron for the future, methinks. Hopefully a change for the better. He seems much more the PM type.

But I don't think Brown can go too wrong in the next year or so. Hopefully his proposed changes will be for the better. But have you noticed he's kicked all the top women out already? They might not be too happy about that...
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:17 pm
Jules the jester says...

yeah but that was becuase they Intially didnt support Blairs choice of Brown as succesor.

And Puscha that is a very fair summary of our great goverment.

The problem about him being Bush's lapdog is that he probably will be as Blair was and bush will expect Brown to be.

Personnaly i believe Brown shoudl recall all of our troops from Iraq. The American goverment caused this mess and they can sort it out. They are the greatest power in teh world are they not? So why do they need our help??

Plus i think there should be a general election Now. It isnt fair for us not to choose.
Man:George look at this.
George: look at what?
Man: Ha made you look!
George: Idiot!

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:21 pm
Alainna says...

KazSmurf wrote: But, at the same time, I very much doubt that he will survive the next general election. 'Tis David Cameron for the future, methinks. Hopefully a change for the better. He seems much more the PM type.

I hope not. Not that I know much about politics, but the Conservatives are not who get my vote.....(LOL. I'm underage so my vote doesn't even count, but still....).

Well, Gordon Brown seems 'OK' for now. I just wish he would smile once in awhile....

Alainna
xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:30 pm
Rydia says...

I get to vote next election so look out Brown, you're going down! Lol. No, seriously, he should be okay and I'll see how he does before I decide where to cast my vote. I'm not s huge fan though I must admit.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

124 Reviews

Reviews: 124
Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:34 pm
Saphira says...

I hope not. Not that I know much about politics, but the Conservatives are not who get my vote.....(LOL. I'm underage so my vote doesn't even count, but still....).

:D (me too. Darn being only 15!) I agree with this. Although Blair made mistakes he still did a lot for the country. Everyone just remembers him for the war in Iraq but he has done a lot of good things for the country. I don't think Brown was a good choice for the PM but maybe he will pull through and his changes will be for the better.
Come to the dark side. We have cookies!

79 Reviews

Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:39 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

My biggest gripe with Blair was not, surprisingly, Iraq, but that ridiculous Human Rights Act. We were fine as we were, and then he goes and makes a law to protect anybody but the innocent and law abiding. Gone are the days when a criminal can actually be punished, and justice prevail.

~Stewie Griffin

Random avatar

Reviews: 13
Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:28 am
weekend_warrior says...

I don't think Tony Blair followed Bush blindly. Tony Blair stood up for what he himself believed to be right: That Saddam Hussein had to go. I find it hard to believe that the hard-nosed Brits would follow anyone blindly, given their extremely long history of resisting coercion from the outside ("we'll fight them in the fields" anyone?). Tony Blair shared President Bush's opinion.

As for Gordon Brown, I suspect his relationship will be be cautious, but agreeable, especially in execution of the War on Terror (of which Iraq is merely another theatre similiar to the way the Pacific and European theatres were different in WWII, rather than a different conflict). Given that the Brits have suffered some heavy terror attacks of their own, I seriously doubt they will be hostile toward the nation leading the way in the War on Terror.

Brown remains fully committed to the Iraq war, but has stated that he will learn from its mistakes. This is something that the Bush Administration has done as well, by giving more power to the Generals on the battlefield rather than the politicians. Had Bush done this initially and not fired almost a half dozen generals before he initial invasion, we wouldn't have to do all the repairing of our strategy we do today.

NO U
— Carina