z

Young Writers Society

Girl's feet severed on ride at Six Flags in Kentucky

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:32 pm
Via says...

Adjust font size:
(CNN) -- A girl's feet were cut off Thursday when a free-fall thrill ride malfunctioned at the Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom Amusement Park in Louisville, Kentucky, police said.

A cord wrapped around the 16-year-old's feet and severed them at her ankles while she was on the "Superman Tower of Power," a police dispatcher said. The girl was taken to a local hospital.

An unidentified witness told CNN affiliate WLKY she saw a cable on the ride snap.

"The people on the ride just came and hit the ground," she said. "When I got up there, the lady she was just sitting there, and she didn't have no legs. ... And she was just there, calm, probably in shock from everything."

"That could have been all of us -- riding that ride," witness Whitney Sandfer told CNN affiliate WDRB/WMYO.

The incident took place shortly before 5 p.m. ET, according to Six Flags spokeswoman Wendy Goldberg. The park remained open, but the ride in question was shut down and will remain so until the full investigation is complete, Goldberg said.

During the ride, passengers are lifted to 177 feet, suspended momentarily and then dropped, according to the park's Web site.

Passengers drop 154 feet at 54 mph, stopping "just 20 terrifying feet above the pavement," it adds.

"I seen the car go up. Then, like, the cable broke, I heard -- pwchh -- and I heard a lot of people screaming," Chris Stinnett, who was at a ride next to the Superman Tower of Power, told WDRB/WMYO.

"The cable went under the car -- and I seen it pull up and hit a lot of people -- and I seen them bring their legs up," Stinnett said.

The ride was introduced in 1995.

CNN.com

Since this incident, Six Flags has shut down four rides. Today Kings Island in Cincinnati, OH shut down their ride called "Dropzone," which is very similar to Six Flag's ride in question and made by the same company, until it can be inspected properly to avoid a similar catastrophe.
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:46 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Oh, my God.....
ohmeohmy

133 Reviews

Reviews: 133
Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:06 pm
Royboy says...

Yeah... woah. I want to know if she died from loss of blood or if they found the feet. I know it's totaly disctusting, but I really want to know.

All of this reminds me of that law & order episode where the girl's mother was killed by a bar that was too low on one ride. Her head hit the bar and she died instantly. Makes you never want to go to an amusement park ever again, doesn't it?
[url="www.royacrystaldoesnanowrimo.tumblr.com"]Follow my 2011 NaNoWriMo progress on tumblr[/url] or [url="http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/734471"]friend me on the official NaNoWriMo forums[/url]!

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:40 pm
Areida says...

And all those stories of people getting stuck upside down on roller coasters for hours and hours...

*shudder*
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:23 am
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

I'm never gonna go on a roller coaster again....
ohmeohmy

142 Reviews

Reviews: 142
Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:48 am
Bella says...

I don't like roller coasters, but my dad talked me into going on the same thing in the OH six flags...It broke down while we were waiting in line. This is horrible.
i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart) <3

Please review my performance poem?

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:55 pm
Via says...

I heard they also shut down similar rides, made by the same company, in Toronto, Virginia, and California.

I have heard of many rides being shut down in the last couple years. Everyone wants to have the biggest and baddest, and they just break and hurt people. A perfect example is last year when the Son of Beast at Paramount's King's Island in the Cincinnati Area (the same one that shut down Dropzone last week) derailed and hurt 26 people. The Son of Beast is/was the world's only looping wooden rollercoaster. I believe it is still closed.
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:52 pm
Pushca says...

...ow.

I don't go on such things for a reason.
"Nothing I could write would be as shocking and offensive as censorship itself." -Deb Caletti

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:12 pm
Black Ghost says...

This makes me sick to my stomach. I will seriously have second thoughts next time I go on a roller coaster. :?

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:55 pm
She Writes says...

eww much?! my aunt emailed this to me..i have never been to like six flags and never wanna go...*shivers*

Reviews: 3
Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:26 am
smileymiley™ says...

FOR SERIOUS?

I LITERALLY just went to six flags for the first time yesterday,. no two days ago. It's 3 AM now it's tomorrow, ahaha.

omigawsh. That is horriddddddddddddd.
oh you look so [ B E A U T I F U L ] tonight.___ <3
inthecityofBLINDINGlights.

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:58 am
Twit says...

Oh lawks! The poor girl! That's so... urgh. Does it say what happened next? If the girl survived and if she's gonna sue or anything? I would, if I'd lost my feet. Maybe she can get some prosthetic ones.
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

i don't need to search the stars to know myself
— soundofmind