Young Writers Society

Portfolios/Post Since Last Visit/Recent Lit Additions

182 Reviews

Reviews: 182
Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:26 pm
Chandni says...

I guess I spoke too soon :(

But I guess it'll be back soon!:D
I should not keep on, I'll just creep on creepin'on.

133 Reviews

Reviews: 133
Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:56 am
Royboy says...

ARG! I think I'll go show my frustration by stomping around and screaming at the top of my lungs... in my head. Man, I hope they get it working again. I think I'll die if I can't look at portfolios. That's the only way I find chapters by certain people!
[url="www.royacrystaldoesnanowrimo.tumblr.com"]Follow my 2011 NaNoWriMo progress on tumblr[/url] or [url="http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/734471"]friend me on the official NaNoWriMo forums[/url]!

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:25 am
dele24 says...

I think I'll die if I can't look at portfolios. That's the only way I find chapters by certain people!

Yeah thats what I do. I was all happy that it was working again and now its not, so I'm sad.

133 Reviews

Reviews: 133
Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:21 pm
Royboy says...

And I think you spoke to soon. *sigh*
[url="www.royacrystaldoesnanowrimo.tumblr.com"]Follow my 2011 NaNoWriMo progress on tumblr[/url] or [url="http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/734471"]friend me on the official NaNoWriMo forums[/url]!

214 Reviews

Reviews: 214
Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:46 pm
Prosithion says...

Jack, at least you guys got the site working at all. ^_^ kudos to you for that.
"wub wub wub wub. Now Zoidberg is the popular one."

"Computer... Captain's musk"

172 Reviews

Reviews: 172
Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:23 pm
View Likes
Lynlyn says...

I'll just make a makeshift portfolio and link to it until it's back up, so I can direct people somewhere to read my work, I guess. At least the site is working.
"Better keep yourself clean and bright; you are the window through which you must see the world." - G. B. Shaw
Lynlyn's Magical Critique Emporium - request a review here.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:50 pm
Firestarter says...

Portfolios and Last Posts are both working for me, Nate fixed them.

and Pros, thanks, but I must refuse it and direct it to Nate, since I did nothing.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

214 Reviews

Reviews: 214
Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:53 pm
Prosithion says...

oh, but still, kudos to you, for continually battling with the errors
"wub wub wub wub. Now Zoidberg is the popular one."

"Computer... Captain's musk"

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:28 am
Firestalker says...

I dont think so, but it could be posible. I can cope with it anyway( for now)
--
Who is not Insane one man ask, the answer being a fool.
Are you Insane the same man asks, - "Oh yes!. The Mad Hatter being saner!"

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:34 am
Snoink says...

Prosithion wrote:oh, but still, kudos to you, for continually battling with the errors

And all the PMs and emails that were desperately asking, "OMGAZ, WHATZ HAPPENING?!?!?!" With better grammar, of course. ;)

They keep on working on and off for me... right now, they're working though, which makes me happy.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:38 am
Firestalker says...

I take that back its working.
--
Who is not Insane one man ask, the answer being a fool.
Are you Insane the same man asks, - "Oh yes!. The Mad Hatter being saner!"

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:41 am
Emerson says...

It just freaks out when activity is high, since it is a server issue, so it will go on and off and you have to learn how to survive.

I'm happy just having the site ^_^

And I will repeat Pros whether you agree with it or not! Many thanks Jack and Genah, and Nate. You all are awesome and are the reason I sleep at night! XD
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:19 pm
Layleun says...

I have a question. How did all this happen in the first place? The code couldn't have just died on its own could it? Did some one accidentally erase some of the code like I have many times on different sites?

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:36 am
Nate says...

It's fixed! It's fixed! I figured out what the problem was some time ago, but couldn't find a long-term solution until just now. I am very, very happy at the moment!

What went wrong is this...

YWS runs off of phpbb, which uses a MYSQL database to store everything. However, MYSQL has a value called "max_allowed_packet" which specifies the maximum size of data that can be sent at one time. Previously, this value was set to 1 megabyte, which is good for a small forum. However, for a site like YWS, it needed to be larger as the sessions data gets much larger than 1 megabyte after a couple of days (the sessions data gets sent from the database to the server whenever you look at someone's portfolio or any sort of search).

To fix this, I first had to log into the shell server and find the configuration file for the max_allowed_packet. I did this back in late June, and set it to 16 megabytes, which is the maximum I can set it to. However, that did not fix things, which really confused me. That, and the support team for the hosting provider was of no help in this case (sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't). After spending a couple hours today reading through stuff, I found out that I need to set the value to 16M not only on the server side, but on the client side as well. I found a rather simple way to do this, plugged it in, and voila. Everything was fixed.

Prior to this, the short term solution I found was to empty the sessions table every couple of days, which was annoying.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:41 am
Emerson says...

zomg *hugs Nate*

So this didn't require $100/month for a massive server or something? I'm very happy about that ^_^

You're an amazing admin. I want to have a "Nate is awesome day!" day.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Alexa, are there European frat boys
— Carina