z

Young Writers Society

Elephant Robs Motorists in India

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Wed May 30, 2007 9:33 pm
Pushca says...

NEW DELHI, India (Reuters) -- An elephant in eastern India has sparked complaints from motorists who accuse it of blocking traffic and refusing to allow vehicles to pass unless drivers give it food, a newspaper has reported.

The Hindustan Times said Monday the elephant was scouting for food on a highway in the eastern state of Orissa, forcing motorists to roll down their windows and get out of the car.

"The tusker then inserts its trunk inside the vehicle and sniffs for food," local resident Prabodh Mohanty, who has come across the elephant twice, was quoted as saying.

"If you are carrying vegetables and banana inside your vehicle, then it will gulp them and allow you to go."

If a commuter does not wind down his window or resists opening the vehicle door, the elephant stands in front of the car until the driver allows him to carry out his routine inspection.

Forestry officials told the newspaper that the elephant is old and is therefore looking for easy food.

"So far, it has not harmed anybody," said Sirish Mohanty, a forest ranger working in the state.

"We are telling commuters regularly not to tease the elephant. But if people don't heed to our advice and harass the tusker, then it can retaliate."

Elephants are a protected and endangered species in India, which has nearly half of the world's 60,000 Asian elephants.

But conservationists say its population has fallen rapidly in recent years because of loss of habitat as a result of human encroachment into forest areas.
"Nothing I could write would be as shocking and offensive as censorship itself." -Deb Caletti

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed May 30, 2007 9:35 pm
Snoink says...

XD

Wow... that's nice adaptation. :D
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701
Wed May 30, 2007 9:57 pm
bubblewrapped says...

Hahahahahaha...OMG. That is hilarious ^_^
Got a poem or short story you want me to critique?

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it. (C D Morley)

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Wed May 30, 2007 10:04 pm
Via says...

That is awesome! Can they not move the elephant to somewhere like a sanctuary or something?

That's still hilarious!
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:09 am
Leja says...

^ In that case, write me, the elephant would just inspect the car for admission fee to the zoo. XD

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:12 am
View Likes
Emerson says...

I think the elephant "encroached" into human territory... even if it was elephant territory to start with.

XD
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.
— Nelson Mandela