z

Young Writers Society

Mac vs. PC

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Mon May 28, 2007 7:45 pm
Leja says...

Ooh, hadn't thought about that; I'd totally miss right clicking things!

Random avatar

Reviews: 61
Mon May 28, 2007 8:03 pm
BrokenSword says...

You can get a two-button mouse and still right click. Otherwise, it's ctrl+click (if I remember).

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Mon May 28, 2007 8:05 pm
RatchetWriter says...

Err... I'm not a technical genuis :lol: But I like PC's.

I guess I've just heard of all the things that are wrong with MACs but never heard of what's good with them.
Main thing I've heard is that while MACs don't have very many viruses against them because the majority use PCs, MACs aren't as able to ward of viruses, because people aren't worried enough, I guess. PCs are always upgrading their defense.

So that wasn't to helpful. Oh well. :D

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:32 am
Pushca says...

My father, being a serious geek (family tradition), came across a forum where a bunch of people were talking about their Macs and how much they loved them. Then this guy named Leo came along and informed them that "Macs are gay". Everybody was reeeally offended.

Mac people are the sensitive types. If you posted "PCs SUCK!!!!!", nobody would care.

It's all in who you wanna be, man.
"Nothing I could write would be as shocking and offensive as censorship itself." -Deb Caletti

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:11 pm
Hermes says...

I took a look at a Mac yesterday in the apple store. I really liked it, it was a lot more... "creative"? than the PC is. I really missed being able to right click, but I'm sure that's just a habit to break. I think you should give the mac a try, especially since there's no casing or anything needed (it's built into the monitor) and it seems to have a lot of cool capabilities I hadn't thought of. The dashboard setup is a little weird though.

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:17 pm
Griffinkeeper says...

I'm moving it to entertainment.

*Moved*
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:43 pm
sanguine_dreams says...

I don't really know the difference, except that I do believe you'll find more online programs compatible with PCs than with Macs, because PCs are more universally owned.

Of course, I'm completely biased; the only Apples I've ever encountered were the really primitive ones at school. Also, I was always taught that Apples suck by my dad, who is the most tech-savvy person I know.
"My form is a filthy type of yours." -the Creature, Frankenstein

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:06 am
Doctor Kitty says...

I do a bit of computer gaming, and PC tends to be a better platform for said activity.

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:00 am
Leja says...

Well, find out whether you are a Mac or a PC:

http://www.blogthings.com/areyouamacorapcquiz/

XD

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:18 pm
Pushca says...

I'm a PC.
"Nothing I could write would be as shocking and offensive as censorship itself." -Deb Caletti

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:37 pm
Swires says...

The Mac

The general feel of a mac is that of easiness, speed and hassle freeness. Artists, musicians, writers, movie makers and web designers generally use a mac because its so much more flexible with the creative arts than a PC is. Its also very easy on the eyes. Its a nice hassle-free machine.

The negative is that games and your preexisting PC software will not work at all. However you can install XP onto a MAC machine using bootcamp.

The PC
These dont age very well at all. They often become cluttered with nasties such as Trojan Horses and spyware because of the default browser Internet Explorer (switch to firefox).

However games are always up to date as well as MS software such as MSN. PCs can be upgraded easily as well.
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:28 am
sezPez says...

Aha, I happen to have reached a compromise on this matter. I run a PC but it looks exactly like a Mac, which (from what I have heard) is it's main appeal. It works and runs thing just like a PC but looks way sweeter. Google these programs, I know there was a guide on exactly how to do it but I forgot where it was:

RocketDock
Konfabulator

And check out wincustomize.com, they have tons of customization stuff in general. Have fun :)

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:36 pm
Nyame says...

it really depends on what you want to do with it.

I'm a Mac person and always have been, so i only really have experience of those.

games and programs and things are easier to buy for PCs. i remember as a kid i had to order games for my Mac off the Internet.

you don't really get viruses on Macs, i've had one once in several years and it was 'cause i downloaded something stupid. >___<

i find people with Macs (ie. my family are the only ones i know) often get a really 'superior act' over PCs. for example, my sister asked my dad 'what's the difference between PCs and Macs?' and my dad says 'Macs are better'. (he's a Mac person, as he works in graphic design.) i do this kind of too, only not so much. it's sad, but i feel kind of special owning a Mac as none of my friends do (haha). 8'D

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:23 pm
Aet Lindling says...

AmeliaOliver wrote:Hmm, I'm not sure if this goes here, but I can't think of anywhere else to post it. Anyways.

I'm debating between a Mac or PC. As I have never personally owned a Mac, I was wondering if anyone who does has any strong disagreeable feelings towards them. I've liked Macs when I've had access to them, but these times don't really let one know about long term problems, like shutting down at random times, or being prone to bugs.

Advice would be most appreciated!

Well, they don't shut down at random times, that immediately makes me think of PCs, and they aren't very prone to bugs. I swear I'm not being the typical Mac fanboy, this is fair and true.

Mine has been making me have to restart the computer a lot lately, but this is unusual behavior and it more likely has to do with the broadband connection, since that's why I restart: the Web keeps busting for me.

Right clicking isn't a problem, you simply hold down ctrl and press the left mouse button. And the scroll wheel is simulated by dragging two fingers down on the pad.

It depends on what you're planning on mainly doing for it: Gaming is actually 50/50, despite what most people would have you think. Macs are having more and more games for them lately, and they'd run them smoother of course.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singularit ... ing_system)

Singularity is important to consider too, Microsoft has completed version one already, and it will certainly be better than Windows, as Microsoft will keep track of the kernel this time, (true story: Microsoft really has limited knowledge of the basics of Windows at this point, hence its shaky structure.) and while currently Macs are probably the more efficient choice, Singularity could become the "better" operating system.
dun worry
it's all gun be k

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:26 pm
Aet Lindling says...

Phorcys wrote:The negative is that games and your preexisting PC software will not work at all. However you can install XP onto a Mac machine using bootcamp.

You're kind of contradicting yourself there... :shock: It will work, with Boot Camp...
dun worry
it's all gun be k

[as a roleplayer is feeling sad about torturing her characters] GrandWild: "You're a writer, dear. Embrace it."
— GrandWild