z

Young Writers Society

LOST: the season finale?

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Thu May 24, 2007 3:14 am
Emerson says...

OMG... I just finished watching this and my mind is going to blow! xD I can't wait three or so months for more.

It was the f'ing FUTURE!!!!! WTF? See, I watched the thing they did on lost last Thursday, which was rather boring because it was like a giant recap, but they talked about how John doesn't want them to get off the island (obviously...) and how it's going to bring together the characters past, present, and future. Meaning the show overall not the finale of course but....still. WTF!? My mind is blown.

Discuss! (And please, if you hate LOST keep your comments to yourself :-P)

On an off topic yet still similar note: Brad, you were right, John didn't die. You can keep watching.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

915 Reviews

Reviews: 915
Thu May 24, 2007 3:32 am
Incandescence says...

What a cheap-shot of a season finale. The writers seem to have totally "lost" the direction of LOST, or perhaps they're simply cretinous/obstreperous enough to ignore what brings viewers back every week. Like House this season, I think LOST was a bust, especially since Season 4 doesn't begin until January of 2008. Thumbs down, all the way.
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders." -Hal Abelson

2058 Reviews

Thu May 24, 2007 3:36 am
Emerson says...

Really, Brad? but what was it that they did that was so wrong? I enjoyed it but... I don't analyze things as much as you do, and I'm easily amused ^_^

Though that is very large BS that it doesn't start until January. Filming, I suppose?
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”

915 Reviews

Thu May 24, 2007 3:59 am
Incandescence says...

It was disappointing. Who cares what happens to them on the island now? It's like delivering the punch line before the joke has been fully set-up. Nothing was resolved with this finale (at least minimal things were resolved previously--Season One finale saw the revelation of the Island as an entity with its own mythologies and explorations of Dharma, the Others, etc.; Season Two finale explained why the plane crashed, what happened to Walt and Michael, etc.), and instead of backing up and explaining just anything, they plunged forward with a twist that is almost as disgusting as the "And then he woke up"-scenario.
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders." -Hal Abelson

376 Reviews

Reviews: 376
Thu May 24, 2007 5:49 am
Trident says...

Ha. I pretty much disagree with you completely Brad. I thought was an interesting way to end the season. The show likes to play on your mind and I have a feeling that what we saw wasn't necessarily the actual future. It was sort of like a possibility.

Anyway, the keep you guessing, which is what LOST does. I hate it when people say that their questions didn't get answered. Hmmm... I rather like being kept on edge. Let the producers decide when the questions should be answered. They likely know what they're doing.

As for the "and then he woke up" scenario, we'll see. I don't think we can just leave it at the fact they got off the island. After all, it wasn't Penny's ship.

Poor Charlie. At least he's out of his misery. Or is he? ^_^
Perception is everything.

915 Reviews

Thu May 24, 2007 6:16 am
Incandescence says...

It still seemed like a sucker-punch. Flash-forward or otherwise, it was an unprecedented jump in narrative structure, which I think is fine generally, but not at the end of a season. It really added nothing to the story, IMO, except a needless dimension of complexity.

There's a point at which labyrinthine story-telling becomes too weighed down by its own complexity that it loses plausibility--that is what's happening on LOST. I do agree producers should reveal things when they want (I never contested that), but that doesn't mean the producers are always "right".

I am glad Charlie died, though. His story was the least compelling and I always found his character a bit one-dimensional. Locke lived, which made me happy, and I was also a bit moved even by Ben's actions.

2058 Reviews

Thu May 24, 2007 11:36 am
Emerson says...

There's a point at which labyrinthine story-telling becomes too weighed down by its own complexity that it loses plausibility--that is what's happening on LOST.

That, I can entirely agree with. It is going overboard, and going crazy, and not making any sense anymore, but I don't care enough to stop watching. I'm more curious about "why" than, "Why the hell are they doing so much crap?"

You do make a good point by saying the flash forward was rather useless and did nothing, I can agree with that too. But to the average television veiwer I suppser it is like a hook, only at the end which is...stupid.

Kind of like the "Dead guy" twitching at the end of a book to signal, omfg, he's not dead! Only for LOST this did much less.

I still completely love/hate LOST

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Fri May 25, 2007 6:45 am
sanguine_dreams says...

WARNING: SPOILER-TASTIC POST!
Here's what I liked about the finale of Lost:

1. Sayid snapping a guy's neck with his hands tied behind his back.
2. The *crack* I heard during (1).
3. Best described in a scriptfic format. Paraphrased like hell because nobody has a transcript of this episode up yet.
Old white-haired, sometimes bearded jerk: I surrender.
BANG!
Juliet: Dude, he like, surrendered.
Sawyer: I didn't believe him.
4. Rousseau and her daughter bonding over tying Ben up and treating him like crap.
5. Charlie dying. It was about damn time. Even though he went out like a little biatch.
6. Kate + her future makeup. Yummers.
7. Hurley and the deathvan.
8. Again, best described in bad scriptfic.
Locke slowly puts a gun to his head.
WALT-GHOST-THING: Don't. Get up, John.
LOCKE: I can't.
WALT-GHOST-THING: Yes, you can.
LOCKE: Why?
WALT-GHOST-THING: Because you have work to do.
9. Mikhail. He is so awesome.
10. That chick with the vest in the Looking Glass station. *Purrs* Too bad she's already been shot.
11. Juliet's wisecracks. Even though I hate her, I must admit, she did good here.

Here's what sucked:

1. Lost producers: Oh, here's the future. Notice how we have a character go to a funeral, but don't even bother to tell you who it's for. 'Cuz we're a mystery show.
2. Naomi died. Damn, man, she was kinda hot.
3. Chick in the vest died. See above.
4. The stupid way that Charlie died. I cannot even begin to describe how much it sucks. It could've been avoided so many ways, and still, he went out like a dope.
5. Is that sharpie supposed to charged with all the power of the island? Because I've drawn on myself with sharpie before, and it came out after three good hand-washings. If someone is drowning and there's all this water pressure and stuff... well, I'm just saying.
6. Jack did not hook up with the cute black surgeon guy. Boo!
7. Juliet is still alive.
8. Ben is still alive.
9. Jack is still alive.
10. Kate is still alive and not admitting that she is gay and in love with Sun!
11. Isabel's boyfriend did not die. Therefore, she will not bond with Claire over boyfriends that died because the island sucks. Therefore, they will not hook up (yet).
12. Desmond did not hook up with Sayid.
"My form is a filthy type of yours." -the Creature, Frankenstein

2058 Reviews

Fri May 25, 2007 11:21 am
Emerson says...

You seem to base a lot of your goods and bads on relationships and who is hot...

Though, I have to agree:

He snapped the guys neck with his f'ing legs!!! That's up there on my 'cool death scenes' list, with the guy getting his head cut off with a pane of glass in The Omen being number one, and I do mean the old version, not 2006.

6 Reviews

Fri May 25, 2007 6:32 pm
sanguine_dreams says...

Claudette wrote:You seem to base a lot of your goods and bads on relationships and who is hot...

Though, I have to agree:

He snapped the guys neck with his f'ing legs!!! That's up there on my 'cool death scenes' list, with the guy getting his head cut off with a pane of glass in The Omen being number one, and I do mean the old version, not 2006.

Yes, I only want hot people on the island, so sue me! Except for Hurley. 'Cuz he's just fun.
"My form is a filthy type of yours." -the Creature, Frankenstein

6 Reviews

Fri May 25, 2007 8:20 pm
Tyd says...

Well i thought it was great! I think Charlie dying was great and yeah, he could have avoided it but he knows that if he dies then Claire gets saved and thats why he locked himself in that room.

I loved it when Jack was knocking the crap out of Ben and it was great when Hurley came and ran over the Others in the camper van XD yay!

I think the ending was wierd, but i still liked it!
As is a tale, so is life; not how long it is, but how good it is.

176 Reviews

Reviews: 176
Sun May 27, 2007 11:02 pm
Muse says...

ZOMFG, I just saw it. We get it over here (UK) slightly later.

MAAAAAAANNN, what a totally confusing and ridiculous way to end it. Good though, i'll definately be watching in 2008. 2008 though. Sheesh.

I dont think i can wait that long.
"Sometimes we see a cloud that's dragonish,
A vapour sometimes like a bear or lion,
A towered citadel, a pendant rock,
A forked mountain, or blue promontory,
With trees upon't that nod unto the world,And mock our eyes with air.."

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Sun May 27, 2007 11:15 pm
Sureal says...

I'm not sure.

At the end, as the car pulled up, I was just thinking, 'whoever gets outta that car had better be damn impressive, cos this flashback has been boring and pointless', and lo an behold, out gets Kate. But she's lost her freckles. :(

The moment was kindda damaged by my brother who kept on asking me 'who is that woman?' because he couldn't comprehend that it wasn't a flashback at all.

But I felt it was rather nihilistic - after all the effort of the past three seasons, Jack gets off the island, and his life goes to ruin. Also, I wonder what happened to destroy his relationship with Kate?

I wonder how they're going to carry on the series for another three series? A lot of the important characters have left the island, and only minor ones have really remained (the remaining Others, Rose, Bernard, maybe Danielle and her daughter); Locke - and maybe Ben - are really the ones major players left.

Although a rather interesting thing I noted - Jack acts as though his father is alive ('Call over my father, and if I'm drunker than him, you can fire me.' 'No, I'm Jack Sheppard; my father wrote that prescription'), which is odd.

Who's funeral thingy do you think it was? I found it kindda annoying how we never found out. :?
I wrote the above just for you.

2058 Reviews

Mon May 28, 2007 4:27 am
Emerson says...

Although a rather interesting thing I noted - Jack acts as though his father is alive ('Call over my father, and if I'm drunker than him, you can fire me.' 'No, I'm Jack Sheppard; my father wrote that prescription'), which is odd.

Brad and I discussed this, think it could be a plot hole?

They feed us too much. They give us more questions than they can answer in the season. And sure, when you answer one question you're still going to have more, nothing unfolds easily, but...they're killing it.

Every time I really analyze the show I can't believe I haven't gotten sick of it yet. Does that mean there is something good to it, or that I'm less picky with TV than I am with my books?

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Mon May 28, 2007 4:44 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Claudette wrote:Every time I really analyze the show I can't believe I haven't gotten sick of it yet. Does that mean there is something good to it, or that I'm less picky with TV than I am with my books?

I know how you feel, I got sick of t half way through the second season. But perhaps that's just because my concentration span is extroadinarily low! :P
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

“Rise like Lions after slumber In unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew Which in sleep had fallen on you— Ye are many—they are few.”
— Mary Shelly