z

Young Writers Society

Just A Reminder On Vulgar Language

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed May 16, 2007 8:30 pm
Nate says...

Just a reminder to everyone that the Young Writers Society does not allow vulgar or obscene language in any place except within poems, stories, or other literary works. While many users commonly think this policy exists for the benefits of parents, that is just a minor reason.

1) The vulgar word policy exists because this is a site for writers. Resorting to vulgar language when writing online is similar to netspeak; that is, it's lazy.

2) It's often disruptive. Over the years, YWS has been very successful in avoiding conflicts between members. While there are certainly members who do not like one another, there is no drama.

3) It can be offensive. Many people do find vulgar words to be offensive. Moreover, there are certain words that are extremely offensive to some people. Banning all vulgar language rather than just this or that is less confusing.

This policy has been very effective in making YWS feel like a very welcoming place :P
Last edited by Nate on Wed May 16, 2007 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Wed May 16, 2007 10:50 pm
ZZAP says...

[quote="Nate"]there is no drama.[/quote]

*sniggers* not when i was a prince of a forest. keep yws clean!!

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Wed May 16, 2007 11:08 pm
Emerson says...

Can I stab people for being vulgar? :-p

I already watch out for this, as it irritates me in general.
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Random avatar

Reviews: 61
Thu May 17, 2007 2:58 am
BrokenSword says...

Yeah. I already hear enough of the language during the day at school, I don't want to hear it when I'm relaxing and surfing the web.

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Sat May 19, 2007 11:38 pm
Doctor Kitty says...

I, too, am quite offended by excessive language outside of Literary. So, watch out, potty-mouths. :O

By the sweat of your brow you will eat your food until you return to the ground, since from it you were taken; for dust you are and to dust you will return.
— Genesis 3:19